In Cohoots with each other

heres a cracker for yous all Gary Gallagher of Turner +8 non scaffolder ex president or whatever of NASC.Turners were the first company in Scotland to push for the wearing of harness for the boys on the street 1993.Garys son got the job of trainee estimator went up on a flat roof 4 maybe 5 storeys high peeks over the edge and guess what the halfwit fell.I was working for them at the time and we were getting pulled for not having our harness on.I wonder if he ever told his friends at NASC that one

Classic

its all comeing out now loveing it.

You couldn't be more wrong there!

Simon Hughes started in the industry by selling Harnesses!! Never turned a spanner in his life to bring home the bacon.

Simian are very much treading a dangerous path, in that they earn a fair amount from the scaffolding companies (H&S work, documentation & training) but they are also advising clients on Tender processes. Especially how to reduce access costs ect. It seems this company wants to run with the Fox & Hounds.........all in the name of their profit you understand!?

If anyone takes the time to site down........read and understand TG20:08 and the WAHR's, have the bottle to stand up in front of an "uneducated" audience and spout the contents back verbatim............voila!! You are seen as access industry expert!!;)

Great Post Finer ,

It appears that one of the main attributes to one needs to climb the ladder as a Health and Safety professional is the ability to eloquently spout bull **** and terrify clients with tales of corporate manslaughter.

On another subject has anyone met the other guy at safety and access called Ray, tg20 revised again voilà, never turned a spanner either

I know both Rick Statham & Ray Johnson both decent blokes and know what they're talking about. Safety & Access are not only a decent training provider but offer a damn good safety consultancy to the scaffold industry.

but answer the question Ian did they work up the ranks or not?

There are also scaffold companies out in the big wide world being run by managers/directors that have never turned a spanner . That doesn't meen they don't do a good job. The industry is not just about the man that turns the spanner

No is the answer Steve Ian works for them!!

what does it matter who works for how as long as there not fcuking us and
ians not one of those he contributes loads to this forum. we had enough of
the hangbags last month .

When a company or a person within an orginisation has a vested interest in rule making you cannot help but raise an eyebrow . Any industry body setting down guidelines that you and I must abide by must be not for profit . How can we be expected to take these people or orginisations seriously when they profit from it . Dispand the NASC now and have people who represent the leading edge workers , if we make the rules we will surely abide them .

When a company or a person within an orginisation has a vested interest in rule making you cannot help but raise an eyebrow . Any industry body setting down guidelines that you and I must abide by must be not for profit . How can we be expected to take these people or orginisations seriously when they profit from it . Dispand the NASC now and have people who represent the leading edge workers , if we make the rules we will surely abide them .

Leading members from Harsco, cape do sit on the board

unfortunatly even though i dont agree with nasc all the big companys that paye the big
bucks. are members but a lot of its so they can get the big contracts which a lot boils
down to safety before the contracts awarded.but as we all no just because your a small company dosent mean you cut corners and should be given the chance to tender
the same as the big companys not just because you have the nasc logo on your headed
paper.

unfortunatly even though i dont agree with nasc all the big companys that paye the big
bucks. are members but a lot of its so they can get the big contracts which a lot boils
down to safety before the contracts awarded.but as we all no just because your a small company dosent mean you cut corners and should be given the chance to tender
the same as the big companys not just because you have the nasc logo on your headed
paper.

I totally agree with the above dico. Every company should be able to tender for contracts whether they are nasc members or not. I'm all for the smaller firms doing well. If you can prove your competence to the contractor then you should be able to tender for the work . Regular monitoring from an external H&S company and useing an external company to do your scaffold inspections seems to be helping a lot of our clients win contracts.

Leading members from Harsco, cape do sit on the board

I have no doubt that members from all the big hitters are represented but who are they . I am speaking personally here but with all the rules and guidelines not to mention training courses that are at times laughable are these people representative of the workforce who have to pay and deal with the consequences . The ECITB ticket being a prime example , I did not suffer from the decision to make them defunct but I do feel for the guys bearing the financial brunt of it . Surely someone on the board with work experience would have laid down a better path to follow .
There is a need for a body to set the standards just not this one .

I have no doubt that members from all the big hitters are represented but who are they . I am speaking personally here but with all the rules and guidelines not to mention training courses that are at times laughable are these people representative of the workforce who have to pay and deal with the consequences . The ECITB ticket being a prime example , I did not suffer from the decision to make them defunct but I do feel for the guys bearing the financial brunt of it . Surely someone on the board with work experience would have laid down a better path to follow .
There is a need for a body to set the standards just not this one .

I agree that the Ecitb issue is a problem. The issue is that a lot of tickets were handed out through grandfather rights with no formal training involved. If an accident were to occur on site with a scaffold erected by an ECITB card holder there is a possibility that the scaffold company could be prosecuted under the haelth & safety at work act
Section 2(1) Ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees while at work.
Section 2(2)(a-e) Without prejudice to the above, the matters to which the duty extends include:
(c) Provision of information, instruction, training and supervision.
Now this is not new legislation its been around since 1974, its down to the employers of ecitb ticket holders to ensure these lads get the training required.
Now I dont want to see ECITB card holders have to start from scratch to gain cisrs accreditation , there should be a training course provided so these lads are upto date training wise.

Last edited:
sgb issued my ticket which was one of the biggest in the country at the time also worked for capes. thats 17 years ive had with these to companys weve had more trainning and courses than a lot of other scaffolders thats without the other companys ive worked for how much trainning is needed the ones that had them dished out are no
longer in the game and didnt renew there cards only the ones left are fighting there corner theres only so much trainning and courses you can do what the street scaff is getting now weve had this for years.

lads we seem to be going off the point here.
the CITB is a charity and does not gain from imposing new standards and guidelines,such as tg20 and the various advance guardrails etc.
the NASC has members on its board who are pushing these issues for their own self gain.i did my advanced course and while there got a promotional video showing me the Turner patented advance guardrail.WHAT I LEARNT FROM THAT I WILL NEVER KNOW APPART FROM THE FACT THAT THIS WAS PUSHED THROUGH BY NASC,AND THEIR SENIOR MEMBER TURNERS

sgb issued my ticket which was one of the biggest in the country at the time also worked for capes. thats 17 years ive had with these to companys weve had more trainning and courses than a lot of other scaffolders thats without the other companys ive worked for how much trainning is needed the ones that had them dished out are no
longer in the game and didnt renew there cards only the ones left are fighting there corner theres only so much trainning and courses you can do what the street scaff is getting now weve had this for years.

If thats the case dico then you would not have any problem proving your competence in a court of law. I'm just trying to explain the situation from the HSE's point of view. The thing to remember is that CISRS scaffolders have to sit a touch screen test every 5 years to get their tickets renewed. (personally I think the test is a load of bollox and should be scaffolding orientated) .
In my opinion the whole system needs overhauling .

lads we seem to be going off the point here.
the CITB is a charity and does not gain from imposing new standards and guidelines,such as tg20 and the various advance guardrails etc.
the NASC has members on its board who are pushing these issues for their own self gain.i did my advanced course and while there got a promotional video showing me the Turner patented advance guardrail.WHAT I LEARNT FROM THAT I WILL NEVER KNOW APPART FROM THE FACT THAT THIS WAS PUSHED THROUGH BY NASC,AND THEIR SENIOR MEMBER TURNERS

If it lowers the risk of falls from heights is that really a bad thing

If it lowers the risk of falls from heights is that really a bad thing

Have we had the figures for falls from heights for last year, how many was there in this country, are they all HSE recorded or all what Nasc have recorded and so majoriety will show up as scaffolders, should think theres more accidents from manuel handling than there is from falls. what age group is shown up the highest.
Can anyone put the information on here please, or can i find it somewhere on the net.:blink1:

Have we had the figures for falls from heights for last year, how many was there in this country, are they all HSE recorded or all what Nasc have recorded and so majoriety will show up as scaffolders, should think theres more accidents from manuel handling than there is from falls. what age group is shown up the highest.
Can anyone put the information on here please, or can i find it somewhere on the net.:blink1:

I dont think they've published the 2010 figures yet. But i'm with you on the manual handling

Top Bottom