if not tg20 then what

Fredrik

The plot thickens---if you hold an inspection card, then you are competent to inspect a Scaffold Structure, therefore, you are competent to erect it too, this is not only my view but the view of one of the most experienced Scaffold Instructor on this Forum...

Think you may be wrong Gary,tho I would luv it if it was correct,being a former scaff.
Competency to inspect a scaffold is totally different to being competent to erect one.
Analogy. Mot inspectors usually arent mechanics.

Fredrik

The plot thickens---if you hold an inspection card, then you are competent to inspect a Scaffold Structure, therefore, you are competent to erect it too, this is not only my view but the view of one of the most experienced Scaffold Instructor on this Forum...

Anyone attending an inspection course is told right at the outset that they will not be able to erect dismantle or alter any scaffold all they can do is look at what has been built and see if it complies with the MINIMUM standards set out in BSEN12811 or TG20....nothing more

Sorry to but in but by the sounds of it the hsawa basically blows away the ecitb,im a scaff but no card out of the water,because there is no formal training ie paper trail to back it up.
Rightly or wrongly the nasc/cisrs have grabbed this and claimed it for themselves.

Nut shell Happy, that's it exactly. It was the update of the HSAWA act that brought all these changes.

Sad but true ive always said that its the easiest thing in the world to find a fault in a scaffold,harder to build or strip the fecking thing with a target to reach or limited materials etc

Happy---pull up a chair, just trying to reflect on the differences of Statutory requirements, Regulations and ultimately British Standards.

I have no beef with the Status Quo Trained and Ticketed Programs, I am merely pointing out that CITB cards is not a Statutory requirement.

I have held my card since CITB conception in1978 ( Hillington ) and happly re-validate when called upon to do so, however, I cannot say that CITB or CISRS has contributed to my experience or competency level in any way shape or form---I look upon my card as a license to work--- protection money if you will...

Again, couldn't agree more. I have done it myself when checking the boys work you could off done it that way or this but the fact is they did it the way they did it and it's minted. It would be just as easy for someone to do the same to one I built. It became a favourite game of mine when I worked for another local company, this manager kept giving me a hard time so I eventually told him that I was just a thick scaff who didn't understand him and he would need to show me, that shut the feker up.

Garry i couldnt agree more,a card does not maketh the scaff but in a court of law there is a paper trail of training,**** or not.
The citb courses i have attended have all been at hillington and yes it could have been done in 1 week but as you say no card no work so cisrs you have won

Geoff---my point exactly, it is preposterous for a inexperienced person who has done a Scaffold Safety Inspection Course identify patient faults or omissions...it is a mismatch and ill though out

If you can erect it---inspect it---pass it then it must be right...its only the CITB?NASC that say you cant...

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

Happy---I concur---game , set and match NASC...

Got to admit you have a point there Gary, My Mrs has an inspection ticket and she couldn't spell ledger let alone tell if it was in right.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

Also, we are on a job at the moment where the inspector is giving the agent a hard time about 3 inch gaps between building and inside board and yet failed to spot the wall they demolished was holding a load of ties. Shaksmaheid.

Garry im not saying I am in agreement with the whole inspector course thing but as frederik said an MOT inspector is not a machanic. besides if a scaffolder slashes up a job is he going to find fault in it..?? it needs to be carried out by a third party that has only the intrests of safety...so at present industry is saying the inspection can be carried out to see if the job meets minimum requirements.......

Might just be a country thing but all the mot inspectors I have ever met are mechanics. I know it's not part of the debate but.....

If a mechanic can pass an mot,surely its the duty of a scaffolder third party as in the mot test to carry out scaffold inspection.
This should be legislation as the scafftag is a legal requirement

Don't think the scaff tag is a legal requirement and the mechanics have to go through a lot more training than a 2 day test to gain mot inspectors ticket but they all come from a mechanical background.

Geoff---all for 3 rd Party Inspection and Commissioning Agents---indeed I worked with a Leading Turn Key facilitator in that very role---found some very interesting observations both overt and covert Breaches, one pet hate being 33 % of components parts being out of BS compliance---this data was substantiated by a PLC Scaffolding Organization. But, yes in my view there should be more 3 rd Party involvement in the Industry. Indeed the whole Training and Inspection Training Regime could be improved some what---thoughts please...

Garry...

There are litterally hundreds(well loads!) of scaffolds going up around here, all in a bad state. I wouldnt want my name on 90% of them. Taken photo,s of a few.I was fuming,thinking..these guys have got tickets.
First get out for insurance companies. show your tickets.( In event of incident)

Is that a posh way for advocating independent scaffold inspections Gary or just training?

Happy I see scaffolds everyday that are erected to a level way below what is concidered to be acceptale by industry are you suggesting that these scaffolders should be able to inspect their own work...as I said before what scaffolder is going to find a fault in his/her ( better be PC) own work

Top Bottom