Health and safety destroying this industry?

Wouldn't quite say legend scaffy, but certainly a character. He is good with the boy's if maybe a bit easy on them. We all have our faults, but he will be missed at Hillington if he is retiring. (showing my age, they haven't been at Hillington for ages now:embarrest:)

Can any one remember Harry Bell Instuctor at Hillington ? a Great Teacher, he used to make Modle Scaffolds out of small diameter dowling---or Mr Ashman an other Brilliant Teacher a Welshman---he used to have his name on a the top of his desk---one of the Scaffs added a H in front of it---HASHMAN :eek:

Not sure if it was Harry or not Gary but I certainly remember the models. When I was there doing part 1 it was 89 I think and they still wore the white coats like doctors. The guy that took that class had a beard and quite a deep voice, does that sound like Harry?

I don`t remember Harry Bell but do remember the models , they used to put model boards on them that looked like 300mm rulers . I did my part 1 in 86 with Eddie Craig and part 2 with a guy called Peter (can`t remember his last name) and then advanced with a guy called Ian . Great guys who lived and breathed the game .
Peter Mcgill , got it eventually .

Last edited:
i give up on the h+s long ago , constantly changing rules and moving the goalposts . i find the best method is to get down and start walking gear when any one suspect arrives . you know the type chip on his shoulder , bullied at school usually fat or ginger probably homosexual . picking up on petty things and missing major mistakes and corner cutting . i once got away with running in lifts at 5m off a ladder "price work " and got pulled on a sole pad running the wrong way off the same bloke on the same job

" bullied at school usually fat or ginger probably homosexual "

Oh dear, that was a LOL and a half.
My sentiments exactly!

aom

Ah a Beard and adeap voice, was that not Moses LOLooo, nae Harry was a soft spoken grey headed fit as a Butcher Dog---Class of March 78...

Garry...

probably thinking of Joe Bell, great instructor i had him on my part 2 in 90, now 20 years on i'm trying to learn to be as good an instructor as him with great help from Colin Wilkie and Mick Cunningham.

BRU 312

Aye, your quite correct---it was Joe---time can dull the memory some what :embarrest:.---it's an age thing :confused:

Are you into Instructing/Teaching BRU ???

Garry...

aye i am, 22 years on the elsie's 4 months in the college learning to be an instructor i feel like a pup again, re-learning everything and forgetting all my bad habits!!! do as i say not as i do!! lol

BRU

What is the Route for Instructors---what College ect ,ect...Did you have to go through CITB/NASC ?---i.e. Shadow an established Instructor ?...

aye i'm in at NCC Scotland in Glasgow, and shadowing is what i do best! such a lot to learn but just taking baby-steps at the moment.

BRU

I fancied going into the Instruction/Teaching side of the Industry some time ago---just never materialised---with only One training Centre in Scotland, I was not willing to move from the Granite City---Tryed to set up an Offshore Training Centre in Abdn, but it fell through...good luck with your Teaching Career---our Industry is screaming out for experieanced Scaffs to pass on the Knowledge...

cheers, it's a bigger learning curve than i ever thought, but i'll stick at it and if even one lad say's they've learnt something new, it's a step in the right direction. 'everyday is a school day!!'

One of the main bug bearers with the HSE was that information was poor!!

In my report from this meeting I touched on the fact of 'competent person' I said that a lot of people think that means if you have been trained in house for a number of years. They said no, trained & ticketed. So I have also asked for SG4 2010 to state that!!

This was prior to the NASC/CISRS/CITB/ECITB saga, I asked why the are the regs are not showing CISRS trained, they said that was not possible because it would be bias.

I was told if a large Scaffold company trained its staff & recorded that training then issued their own ticket then that would be trained & ticketed!!

Too much information spread over too many documents. We have called for an idiots guide that can be issued to main contractors. I see the step up as dangerous, twisted & broken ankles let alone knee problems.

Advanced tunnel rail is the only way you can erect in a manner you can stil earn from!

The other issue when house bashing who is going to install an advanced rail round a bay window. Need to set different rules for 3 lifts & under (6M).

If its not practible then it won't get used, how is that health & safety?

Ragscaff

Totally agree, what happens with step up systems and advanced handrail rubbish when you need to hemp? As we are aware a hemp should be no greater than 1/3rd the height of the bay, so by using step ups I've gotta hemp chest height or higher with say 21'ers, or with Advance guard rail system lift the topper over the top before hemping?, surely this is more dangerous than the usual method of topping out then running the single rail in. HSE imo just have not got a clue. Regarding harnesses, what happens when Im trussing out of building, working from a single ladder beam for a dropper? Don't get me wrong Im no harness whore, and rarely clip on because i feel safer this way, but when working on a truss out man i love that harness.

Sorry to go straight to the soap box but this is why the SCCR was formed. The HSE & the NASC are out of touch with the real world. I used to tube walk in the past & think nothing of it but now you lose your job & because of the eyes in the back of your head in can be dangerous.

You give us feed back we can put this together in these meetings to the HSE / NASC & get changes made!

We can only do this with support of SCCR members. You need to join to help us help you.

Ragscaff

aye i'm in at NCC Scotland in Glasgow, and shadowing is what i do best! such a lot to learn but just taking baby-steps at the moment.

Hi Bru,

I have an apprentice there this week doing his part 2 and another starting on Monday for his 2 week induction. First thing I will say is don't believe a word that pair say about me:eek: and the next thing is I always tell them to come back and teach me something new, it hasn't happened yet so do me a favour make it a brammer. They should be easy to spot, AOM ovies.:cool:

Hi Bru,

I have an apprentice there this week doing his part 2 and another starting on Monday for his 2 week induction. First thing I will say is don't believe a word that pair say about me:eek: and the next thing is I always tell them to come back and teach me something new, it hasn't happened yet so do me a favour make it a brammer. They should be easy to spot, AOM ovies.:cool:
lol i've got one of yer boys on his induction course, i'll look after him and tell the other lads that his gaffer asked me to look out for him!!

Top Bottom