Has the job changed

Poacher how the fook can you say our Trade is not skilled ? after 31 years in this game i feel i have served my time , so what constitutes a tradesman , someone who is skilled at what they do its comment like yours that put us back 50 years

My sentiments exactly Phillo, Poacher Turned Gamekeeper is I assume a role reversal, Much like put a Beggar on Horseback and we know what happens then, He looks down on us.

Sorry guys, we are not classed as a skilled trade!!

This is something that is the top of my agenda.

On most sites we are one of the most skilled trades. The CISRS scheme has reduced the level of skill by not basing 70% of the training as practical & on site.

Some of our work is highly skilled!!

Ragscaff

We are one of the most skilled trades.. a few year back perhaps we were seen as not skilled rough *****.. but nowadays its different...

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

poacher your a

I'll second that.. what a lemon. :bigsmile::bigsmile:

Aint that the truth fella !! When I 'kicked off (1984) I kept 2 & sometimes 3 spanners turning and wasn't alloud to fix untill I was well in front. These plastic boys aint got a clue but they think the're the dogs dangley bits - bitsa boys all !!!!

I don't know what you don't like about my posting but read it again mate and while you're doing so go and have a sh*t with your pants up. Fookin Northern Monkey.
All the best :)

My appologes me amigo - (thought that was a bit harsh !!)
Guess I've still got a bit of a thick head from last night !!!
No offence intended.

Have an 18 year old with me about 15 months now, dropped out of school early and was doing nothing. The first day on the job the lads were going easy on him till I turned up and told him to take his hands out of his pockets and start carrying gear, which he did. The problem was he did'nt know what to do, nobody told him or showed him. He's a great young lad now, a good grafter. It's really all down to attitude and rearing I would say,If he had of gave me lip the first day it would of been his last, but if you see the lad is willing to work it's worth teaching him and you can let him have a bit of slack now and again because you know he'll not let you down when the going gets a bit tougher. It's all about work ethic, they either have it or they dont.

totaly agree with you brandy as top hands our selves isnt it part of our job to instil a good work ethic into these kids and when you tell them what it was like when you where a trainee they dont belive you

i thought we were classed as a skill,and not recognised as a trade(time served):rolleyes:

deb must disagree with your statement

"We are one of the most skilled trades.. a few year back perhaps we were seen as not skilled rough *****.. but nowadays its different..."

Todays young scaffolders are a lot less skilled than the older hands trained prior to 1990 say.The scope of work they are allowed to do is much less than the older guys,and thier skill base is so low that they would not have got the start as a labourer years ago
Oh yes they have lots of plastic mostly gained from sitting in a classroom and passing a written test paper.Is it the law that they have a mobile stuck thier ear most of the day?

Before you young uns all start on me yes I am making a sweeping statement.I know there are many very good scaffolders trained after 1990 but the have learnt on the job not in the classroom

My view is formed on 40 years in the game

I started in the game in 1965 and was taught by the scaffolders of the day.We had a head for heights,and worked our b*llocks off at the command of the charghand or foreman who were men that could command and run a team they thought on thier feet.They told the pissant site managers and supervisors that did not know what they were on about to go f00k off

It was a hard game for hard men that did not take sh*t

We worked on sites,new build,demolition,town jobs,petro chemical,offshore,confined spaces,power stations and pylons,line crossings,railway, bridges,steelworks and forging plants in fact any where scaffold was required

And we did everything that was required to provide a safe working platfom for others independents,birdcages,shoreing works,support work,rigged up block tackle,erected hoists,erected cradles,erected and worked from bosuns chair,erected wire suspended scaffs,we had a good knowledge of knots and rope work

IN FACT WE WERE SCAFFOLDERS,and PROUD OF OUR SKILLS

I mean skilled as in the qualifications now needed to work.. in the construction trade, there only us, sparkies and gas fitters that need formal quals... apart from the 5 min touch screen test that is... maybe the older ones were better, but I 've worked with some old guys and they were rough as ****... suppose its who you learn under really.

Right Lads hold me hands up sorry, just read post and I did mistakenly write not skilled when what i ment to say was non recognised trade or something among them lines, don't suppose a belly full of cider helped matters either, moral of the storey don't post or get drawn into political minefields where in no fit state to do so!!!

Well said Rigger, totally agree, now we have the type that think they can teach fish to swim, bears to suck honey, even though they've been doing it since evolution began successfully. You only have to look at the evidence of what is coming out of these classrooms where it seems the only criteria for a ticket is the ability to pay. In the days, you learned and were trained on the job and that defined you as a scaffolder, an employer valued your worth on your ability and that was the real proof of competence. Oh" by the way for those who wish to change the way fish swim, think carefully, if you want it to swim with the tide, it'll drown.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Fair play Poacher a good man recognises a mistake and puts his hand up, That cider is no good, prefer the Guinness myself.

Rigger, Mel Gibson would have been proud of that speech.

Thought you were gonna end it with "FREEDOM!!!" :laugh:

Got to agree with Riggers comments.I still think that to-days scaffolders don't have any bottle, get them down a drop with no harness or walking the steel to put edge protection up,that's what gave you that buzz.OK your where dicing with death but that thought never entered my head.You where doing a job that others would shi- themselves doing.To-day its all to controlled no real bottle needed,glad I was around when scaffs where scaffs!!

Top Bottom