hanging scaffold

chargo

Reaction score
i need some help working out the material needed for a job i have coming up. the job is a suspended/hanging scaffolding around a rig leg it will be a splay due to the size, the diameter is 10 meters, the circumference of the rig leg is 31.8 meters, 1.5 meters wide for boards, 20 meters drop @ 2m per lift 10 lifts,

there is plenty of girders and angled steel to fix my droppers off beneath the rig,
would it be best to use heavy duty beams to secure and hang my droppers off? or to strap 6m tubes across the girders off sk's and hang my droppers that way, how far should i space my standards apart because of the amount of weight of the total materials being used.

any help or advise would be great.

No offence mate but this should be designed,end of,don't be fuking with blokes lives by getting your job speced out by people you don't know on a website,some great advice given here don't get me wrong but you need this designed,how the **** you don't know your standard spacings is not going to be answered on here,thought rigwork was strictly controlled,I live and learn:confused:

Chargo how would you normally do a hanger on a rig ?

I always thought most scaffolds on Rigs are Hangers , whats so awkward about this one you gotta ask on a forum ?

rig work isnt really that controlled a hanger is seen as the norm especially for what charge has described.I would like to know what the job is for,is it in a dry dock or is it a smi sub or jack-up and inn dock.
you dont need beams,keep the span between droppers to 6foot.
some more info is really needed.the reason i ask about dry dock is you could come from the deck if it is.

Must be dry dock or one of the service companies would have it. I would recommend a design although most are still done without a design in the North Sea.

Start off with double droppers and if possible sit the tube and beam clamps on the top of the steel not on the underside

I was trying to be nice lol,my main point is it should be designed my second point is if he's asking a forum he shouldn't be going anywhere near it,some things are little fixes,but **** me a whole splay hanger under a rig from advice off a website,this shouldn't be answered as it has to be designed,end of!

chargo, if you need some assistance I would be willing to assist. The job sounds a little too complex to give advice here. We do provide advice and give assistance free of charge provided you allow in your costs for a design.

20m is a lot of weight on SK's, you should get things checked before you commit to a price in my view.

PM me for contact details if you are interested.

thanks for the feed back
The job will be by design, all jobs are. I received the info today, i was trying to get a couple of ideas, as i gotta work out rough estimates of the material i need, i recieved some pictures of the rig legs there are 6 legs to do altogether, the job is in brazil.

i have just sent an e mail to see if there is a reason why they specified suspended scaffolding @ 20 meters. when the length of the rigs leg is only 28 meters. it makes sense to come of the pontoon. maybe there is ballast issues,

cheers lads for the input

For a rough idea on materials could you not just work it out as if you were building it from the ground? There will be additional bracing and smaller bay sizes and maybe a couple of beam lifts depending on where you get to fix directly to the leg but roughly the same.

the design should let you see what you need add extra as the designers dont always get all the information or the most up to date info.
best of luck seems a long way to go for a job you havent really seen for yourself.i would be sceptical about having the suppliers have you dealt with them before and will it all arrive on time etc

Start off with double droppers and if possible sit the tube and beam clamps on the top of the steel not on the underside

I wouldn't want to stick that lot from underneath girders.. your right definately go on top of girders... its a design aswell..

It will be obviously caught on a few different lifts though but obviously over where possible. Small bay's, a few plans, additional ledger brace, a few beam lifts and caught on as many lifts as possible, easy when you are sitting on the sofa.:rolleyes:

if you are hanging from the underdeck you will have to have the gravlocks underneath.

In my offshore experience you won't splay the dropper you will just build a dropper round it and lap boards Over the gaps. You may need some beams to supplement the steelwork and because you are dropping more than once hence you will be better off with a design

i need some help working out the material needed for a job i have coming up. the job is a suspended/hanging scaffolding around a rig leg it will be a splay due to the size, the diameter is 10 meters, the circumference of the rig leg is 31.8 meters, 1.5 meters wide for boards, 20 meters drop @ 2m per lift 10 lifts,

there is plenty of girders and angled steel to fix my droppers off beneath the rig,
would it be best to use heavy duty beams to secure and hang my droppers off? or to strap 6m tubes across the girders off sk's and hang my droppers that way, how far should i space my standards apart because of the amount of weight of the total materials being used.

any help or advise would be great.

lets be honnest chargo if you no your stuff it will be a walk in the park exspecially the amount of steel and girders that these rigs or piers have if youve got gerders to fix the sks off why bother with beams your get all that with a drawing lol!!! let the struture take the weight and as you go down the struture let it take the weight out!!! any decent scaffolder will know what iam on about, if there rusty then good luck how did we ever manage before a drawing:laugh:

Top Bottom