Expiry date of a competent scaff

woodsie

Reaction score
How old do u reckon u can scaffold until doing street work . I.e real work not power station & rig work which any useless tw@t can do but real deal work. I'll though in 45! Is scaffolding a young mans game?

its not about how old you are whether you a good spanner hand or not becouse you can have all the tickets and still have be no good at scaffolding

just cause on rigs doesnt mean you work any less harder you still hav to get jobs up on time or else the platforms wud stop ps it is a youngs man game but you r only az young as the man u r feeling

I am 52 doing my own street worrk most scaff try find a excuse not to do it

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

I agree I have worked in both Industry's and they are equely as hard but it is more technical in the the power and oil industry but you still need to be healthy in both games

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

If you know what you are doing you can get away with it what ever the age you are

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

A competent scaff is there till he has had enough

My mates old man was doing street work well into his 70's. When the company finally told him not to come anymore he got a job cleaning so he wouldn't get bored. Was not short of a bob or two either.

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

LOL. You sound a bright fuker...

Says the man who has fogotten his password about 5 times ;);)

---------- Post added at 04:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

just cause on rigs doesnt mean you work any less harder you still hav to get jobs up on time or else the platforms wud stop ps it is a youngs man game but you r only az young as the man u r feeling

Work on drilling rigs can be frantic at times especially when recently arrived on location and quick access is required to a satellite or platform etc. Work on production platforms is very slow paced.

How old do u reckon u can scaffold until doing street work . I.e real work not power station & rig work which any useless tw@t can do but real deal work. I'll though in 45! Is scaffolding a young mans game?

You are right anyone can erect a scaffold down a rig leg or erect a scaffold on the spider' deck and up the legs for a big paint programme...You can do this stuff well into your seventies
Knocking up an independent up in front of WH'Smith is far more demanding ,or erecting a job around a chimney stack is really tough.
I am surprised people after the age 25 can manage.

You are right anyone can erect a scaffold down a rig leg or erect a scaffold on the spider' deck and up the legs for a big paint programme...You can do this stuff well into your seventies
Knocking up an independent up in front of WH'Smith is far more demanding ,or erecting a job around a chimney stack is really tough.
I am surprised people after the age 25 can manage.

Your joking Nick. Its a hard climb up the stairs for a young man. Seen many a chubby scaff huffing and puffing!!In fact by the time some of them got down there it was time to go back up for a tea break. Even harder those vertical ladders to the monkey deck on a driller.

Your joking Nick. Its a hard climb up the stairs for a young man. Seen many a chubby scaff huffing and puffing!!In fact by the time some of them got down there it was time to go back up for a tea break. Even harder those vertical ladders to the monkey deck on a driller.

Yes those vertical ladders are a giggle ,

Last edited:

Still turning the elsies at 58:amazed:

Woodsie, if you think you are getting to old for the tools try and get a job in the office typing quotations, writing method statements and sending emails. Don't worry most computer programmes have spell check and can add punctuation.....

If you try and do the same thing's you did at 25 when you are 45 you are going to struggle, and scaffolding is no different, as posted before, the old bull and young bull story springs to mind. By my calculations, you have a golden window in your scaffolding career between the age of 25 when you finally understand how to assemble a good job and realise what you can and cannot do. This lasts till you are around 40 when the aches and pains you had when you were starting out return and you realise you can't work through them. That's when you have to take more of a back seat and let the young team through their real apprenticeship and take the strain but stay close enough to make sure the job goes up right. Thee are loads of men who can go past retirement age on the spanners but you usually find they have been clever in how they tackle certain situations, looked after themselves and don't place too much credence on speed and more on quality. One last tip, an IW will help.;)

Yes of course I was joking I have had plenty of tough trips offshore.
Some onshore boys think all they do offshore is pull their foreskins back and drink tea .
These guys are out there helping supply Britain's energy needs and ,alright enough bollo$ks for now.! lol

Yes of course I was joking I have had plenty of tough trips offshore.
Some onshore boys think all they do offshore is pull their foreskins back and drink tea .
These guys are out there helping supply Britain's energy needs and ,alright enough bollo$ks for now.! lol

Big cheer for those North Sea Tigers helping supply heat and light to the UK. A bit more use than WH Smiths eh?

Do you mix system with t&f cassie? Are the clamps much the same as dubs swivs,singles?

cant see how you think powerstation and rig work is for ***** that anybody can do. i think you meant to say that its more layed back didnt you? i will say something thou street work is more intense and a lot more involved pumping up the steel day in day out i spoke to 2 street lads before xmas and he showed me on hes phone what hes boss wanted up in a day:embarrest: i replied on a industrial job you would get a week. ive been brought up on the industrial sector yes you do break a bo!!ock now and again but street work you seem to earn your money!! useless ***** may be but why sweat your socks off when you can earn double plooding:laugh: ps mr moderator why did you block out my words when i put a !! inbetween the leters

Last edited:
Top Bottom