everyboadys a scaffolder

I Will Have To Bow To Your Knowledge Here Buddy I Thought I Was Well Up On The Courses, But Iv Never Heard Of That One, If True Thats One Scary Mother F*******g Developement I Can Tell You, Just Another Way To Drive Down Our Money, Think Ill Give Colin Wilkie A Phone Tomorow To Find Out What The Story Is.

Do that but FFS never bow to my knowledge it could all get messy if we start relying on me being right.:embarrest:

Ill Have A Swatch Tomorrow, Failing That Ill Phone Colin,If Anyone Can Give Me A Straight Answer Itll Be Him.Good Man That He Is.

I Find It Incredible That A Trainer Has The Balls To Say To A Boss Scaffolder That He Only Needs Three Days To Turn A Labourer Into A Scaffolder, Like Iv Said Many Times Mate Iv Been Scaffolding Since 1978 And Still Really Dont Consider Myself A Scaffolder Because Its A Continuall Learning Process,Every Day Something Different For Example Today I Stripped An 18 Meter Chimney, Tomorrow I Will Be Erecting An Access Scaffold (9 Meters) In Forfar Every Day Something Different,

lets state/face some facts , us scaffolders are being required to purchase a qualification in Kwikstage , we are not being trained to use it when doing the course , most people who go and do it will have been using it for years , all we are doing is buying the right to erect this system. But , and its a big butt , its possible some guy who does the course is new to scaffolding and thats all he has , then he goes out into the world and calls himself a scaffolder , and ends up on a manslaughter charge for killin somebody , is this situation whats required in order to do something about this.

ive stated before this is about money , scaffolders are being forced to purchase a license to erect a system , and the people who make the system cant/wont even train their own men to use their system , a little bit hypocritical is it not , i need it , but their men don't ,

nailed it.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

when i did the 2 day muppet card course in dec , when given the cisrs form to fill out and put my picture on it , i made a paper aeroplane out of the form and made it fly away , the instructor , who was a good guy with plenty funny stories , Forbes was his name, said if i didnt send it i would not get a cisrs card with my new kwikstage qualification on it , i politely said im not bothered

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

the 2 day muppet card also helps keep wages to a minimum , i could prob name countless companies all over glasgow who would have loads of guys with system cards , working for not a lot of money

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

the ins and outs of whats best blah blah blah , if it all had to be tube we could/might get decent wages and maybe companies could charge more money ,who says their wont be some sort of super invention ruling scaffolding obsolete in the next 10 ,15 years, now that would be funny

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

done

If all someone has done is a 2 day, 3 day etc muppet course, they are NOT a scaffolder

zeus iv got 2 wonder if your the big city SCAFFOLDER!! why are u on a job wi these ****** ayrshire taxi drivers surely a man of ur capabilities shud b in a power station or offshore??

Not much about the now just livin the dream livin the dream havin the time of my life enjoy a wee day out to the fresh ayrshire air happy as larry wot about you wot ever yer name is were u workin? Noiseycunt ?

Haha! Am in hunterston power station with cape. U should register with them always shutdowns on all over! Our next shutdown is August! Where's the job in Ayrshire ur on? Is tht a noisey **** or a nosey **** u called me?? a don't understand the big city lingo! ;-)

Just as I was about to give up ever finding this information it drops back in my inbox. Page 2 is where you can see this course called SSAM I think it is. I might have to remove it in a bit as I'm not sure.:notrust:

Last edited:
Appreciation and maintenance,surely this is aimed at carded scaffs??this cant legally entitle non scaffs to bypass whats already in place??surely??

Alistair

Erecting to the height of 5 Meters has been available to a non Trained and Ticketed Operative for years---it was one of the best kept secret until recent times.

Now that it is common knowledge this will open the flood gates, and as you have mentioned in a previous post, how long will it be before they erect higher than 5 Meters ???.

A question : after erecting to the height of 5 Meters and the lop lift being a safe place of work, what is stopping them from erecting another 5 Meters and 5 Meters sections thereafter ???.

Lets not forget that it IS NOT a Statutory requirement to be Trained and Ticketed in either T & F and or System.

Perhaps it is time a Statutory requirement was put to the Floor of Parliament ???...

I would have to agree and maybe the real point behind the request for the change of wording to the regulation.

BF, this is not a CISRS course and officially it may allow them to do jack but in my world everyone thinks it gives them cart blanche to carry out all scaffolding activities. I may need to call them and question this.:idea:

Health & Safety in Temporary Works 2 Days, what's that about?

Alistair

Iv just had a look at the Aberdeen College Courses and Scaffolding is included in the Bricklayers Curriculum...

Are we moving towards the American and Canadian style of a Tradesman ( Carpenter, Brickie ect ect ) with an addendum of System Installer ???.

Health & Safety in Temporary Works 2 Days, what's that about?

Not sure Swifty, this is the same mob that caught me cold a while back and asked me if I wanted to book the last few places on an inspection course. Without thinking or looking into it I signed the boy's up for it. I then learned it wasn't worth the paper it was written on so I called them explained the situation and cancelled my booking. It took me ages to get rid of them as they chased the cash they said I owed them, it wasn't that long ago I would have just paid it but they really have got a cheek.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Alistair

Iv just had a look at the Aberdeen College Courses and Scaffolding is included in the Bricklayers Curriculum...

Are we moving towards the American and Canadian style of a Tradesman ( Carpenter, Brickie ect ect ) with an addendum of System Installer ???.

Not sure about that either Gary but when this particular college opened we used to get a call to go and build a bit of system for the young apprentices to inspect. Unfortunately it came to a halt after the above incident.

I might be over reacting but there does appear to be a further watering down of our trade.

Top Bottom