Disgrace

I run a new scaffold course ( Either a Part 1, Part 2, or advanced) every two weeks and I have done for the last 7 years. On most days I have lads farting in class, talking about whatever takes their fancy or just pissing about while I am trying to stand up in front of them and explaine what the next job consists of or the scheme of works that will be used to erect it.
Then when the scaffold is erected wrong I get sour faces and the usual throwing on the floor of tubes or fitting when I tell them to put it up as I explained and as it shows on the drawing, something most lads might look at while in the class but then blows around the training centre floor whilst they erect what they think they looked at.!!
Some of these lads have been scaffolding for 10+ years, Then I get comments like
" we never do that on site" or "this is bolllloks" when I insist that an advanced guard rail is installed as is required by UK law.

So please dont knock all the training centres for not teaching to high standards when every two weeks there is the same fight going on and the same reluctence to learn from the candidates that seem to think that they dont need to be there or that they know it all at day one, and whos peers put that rubbish into their heads.
Our job is to give the candidates the right information and show them the correct way and it is for them to then make a consious disission on what they want to do with that information when they return to work. Most seem to want to follow the pack and if that entails slashing it up then it does not matter what we say or do we wont change them...but we did train them in the correct methods and explaine what minimum standards are required

You can lead a horse to water.......

You took the job on geoff, try and be a supervisor/manager with scaffs, we all know the script.

is that not what teaching is all about, learning people and if they slash it up fail them, simples!

if someone is doing a job for me and i think it is wrong i ask them to change it, if they dont its bye bye (or if they're on price) they dont get paid.

training centres like yours are obviously only in it for the money, otherwise you would fail them.

Be interested to know which law states this

The place where work is done
Regulation 6(4)
21 You must ensure that the place where work is done at height (including the means of access) is safe and has features to prevent a fall, unless this would mean that it is not reasonably practicable for the worker to carry out the work safely (taking into account the demands of the task, equipment and working environment). Detailed safety requirements about where work is done at height are set out in Schedule 1.

SG4:10 guidence Also no longer allows a person to walk onto an un-protected edge
it had to be re-written as it did not comply with the WAHR

The policy set out within the training centre where I work clearly states that all candidates must ensure that a form of edge protectoin has been installed before they continue to gain access.
The health @ safety at work act now says I must comply with the safety gidelines stated it the company safety policy. this now as far as I am awaere makes it law that I follow this procedure of work or are you going to tell me otherwise

Last edited:
Nope not going to tell you nothing , your the trainer. But I still want to know where it says this in any UK law

Quote geoffbecks

"when I insist that an advanced guard rail is installed as is required by UK law"

Last edited:
I run a new scaffold course ( Either a Part 1, Part 2, or advanced) every two weeks and I have done for the last 7 years. On most days I have lads farting in class, talking about whatever takes their fancy or just pissing about while I am trying to stand up in front of them and explaine what the next job consists of or the scheme of works that will be used to erect it.
Then when the scaffold is erected wrong I get sour faces and the usual throwing on the floor of tubes or fitting when I tell them to put it up as I explained and as it shows on the drawing, something most lads might look at while in the class but then blows around the training centre floor whilst they erect what they think they looked at.!!
Some of these lads have been scaffolding for 10+ years, Then I get comments like
" we never do that on site" or "this is bolllloks" when I insist that an advanced guard rail is installed as is required by UK law.

So please dont knock all the training centres for not teaching to high standards when every two weeks there is the same fight going on and the same reluctence to learn from the candidates that seem to think that they dont need to be there or that they know it all at day one, and whos peers put that rubbish into their heads.
Our job is to give the candidates the right information and show them the correct way and it is for them to then make a consious disission on what they want to do with that information when they return to work. Most seem to want to follow the pack and if that entails slashing it up then it does not matter what we say or do we wont change them...but we did train them in the correct methods and explaine what minimum standards are required

You can lead a horse to water.......

Pfft... all you instructors do is sit about drinking free cups of tea/coffee.
Lazy fukkers the lot of you. ;)

i know some one has to do the trainning but bloody hell it must be like plucking chickens same thing day in day out no wonder !asc keep bringing new regulations out is this to keep the poor trainners awake lol!!!!

But if he's telling scaffolders its the law to use an advanced guardrail this is wrong. The work at height regs don't mention advanced guardrails, if your paying for a scaffold course you should be getting the correct information

True, it's only law that you are in some way protected. Traversing is still allowed for those of you with twin tailed harnesses, though its called "advanced traversing" now.

True, it's only law that you are in some way protected. Traversing is still allowed for those of you with twin tailed harnesses, though its called "advanced traversing" now.

Climbing along beams is now called:

'Traverse Reverse Under/Over Rappel Walk-Dodging'.
Honestly. ;)

That is incorrect.

It is a legal requirement for collective protection measures to be implemented whilst working at heights.

In situations where this is not practicable, or when working from a two-point suspended scaffold, for example, personal fall protection equipment is allowed as a last resort.

That is incorrect.

It is a legal requirement for collective protection measures to be implemented whilst working at heights.

In situations where this is not practicable, or when working from a two-point suspended scaffold, for example, personal fall protection equipment is allowed as a last resort.

Wasn't implying that personal F.A was to be used over collective, sorry I should've been clearer. :eek:

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Climbing along beams is now called:

'Traverse Reverse Under/Over Rappel Walk-Dodging'.
Honestly. ;)

Really.........???

Crabbing with twin tailed lanyards, special attachment on lanyards that fit on standards, or jordan clamps, wrap arounds, ( small strops) to clip onto with normal hook, still have to access lift with advanced rail, by ladder access but can work long the lift, handrailing, using this method.:blink1:

Crabbing with twin tailed lanyards, special attachment on lanyards that fit on standards, or jordan clamps, wrap arounds, ( small strops) to clip onto with normal hook, still have to access lift with advanced rail, by ladder access but can work long the lift, handrailing, using this method.:blink1:

stop showing off animal you ante got your part 1 yet lol!!!! see you soon mate:laugh:

Top Bottom