death of the step

Can you hang it on a ledger ready for the next lift,or does it stay in situ.till you're ready to move up?and what stops it moving lateraly?seems pretty good to me,is it something that stays out of your way till needed,so you dont feel like your carting extra bits of kit up with you,which is the bugbear with steps and other agr,i would'nt worry about joints,just push the tube up leaving no gap,then pop one on once your up,you'll need to leave a proper tied off single handrail anyway,in order to show your compliance in using some form of agr:cool:

Looks alrite to me gscaff. Simple and quick. could always add B&P thumscrew thru hook if needed. lol use scaff step for sleeves. Go for it mate.

good responses G,
what i meant about the joints is how do you sleeve it off? don't you have to be on the lift to do this? i'm not sure if that would comply?
crack on mate some good criticism there, so learn from it and best of luck.

Can you hang it on a ledger ready for the next lift,or does it stay in situ.till you're ready to move up?and what stops it moving lateraly?seems pretty good to me,is it something that stays out of your way till needed,so you dont feel like your carting extra bits of kit up with you,which is the bugbear with steps and other agr,i would'nt worry about joints,just push the tube up leaving no gap,then pop one on once your up,you'll need to leave a proper tied off single handrail anyway,in order to show your compliance in using some form of agr:cool:[/QUOTE

for ease of use, you need to hang it [the upfront] from your ledger, place your AGS handrails and raise the upfront, before erecting the rest of the lift. once you've finished and accessed the boarded lift you will be behind the AGS handrails. your first job would be to fix the AGS handrails securely to your standards. You would leave the upfront in situ, out of the way, until you had run your next set of ledgers in, then the process would begin again. If you were doing a brickies lift, then you would remove them after being securely fastened and move them to the next plot.

never noticed any lateral movement but thinking about it, there will be some until fixed securely. the longer the run, i imagine, the less lateral movement there will be

on a long run the handrails would be joined before raising. Because of a series of holes to the outer tube it can be raised gradually from one end of the run, to the other.

Its ashame that some talk drivel on somebodies post when that somebody is trying to develop a system that may benefit us all.

Quite right mate I stand corrected, One of my new years resolution will to stop posting off topic. (It is hard at times though,oop's done it again)

G-Scaff
what I meant by hanging kit over the side was at the start of the Video,the equipment/Upfront was not secured to the handrail (as mentioned a "grubscrew"would solve the problem)

Good luck in the further development of this product, Like the name "Upfront" bye the way.

Last edited:
Quite right mate I stand corrected, One of my new years resolution will to stop posting off topic. (It is hard at times though,oop's done it again)

G-Scaff
what I meant by hanging kit over the side was at the start of the Video,the equipment/Upfront was not secured to the handrail (as mentioned a "grubscrew"would solve the problem)

Good luck in the further development of this product, Like the name "Upfront" bye the way.

thanks for the explanation. if that is going to be a problem i could place my double on the handrail before lifting the "upfront" onto the ledger i suppose. will remember that when i release the "blockbuster":idea:

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

good responses G,
what i meant about the joints is how do you sleeve it off? don't you have to be on the lift to do this? i'm not sure if that would comply?
crack on mate some good criticism there, so learn from it and best of luck.

may i refer you to my response to bigfish

it doesnt look half as good as scaff step to me... you'd have to buy a hell of alot of them if you were a firm. and every lift would have to remain boarded to take them off again as you go up lift by lift. unless of course the plan is to leave them on. but that would just look really messy...

Good luck in your venture there my man, 'There is more than one way to skin a Rabbit', there are several sorts out along the same sort of idea, however, dont be put off and crack on, and best of luck.

Regards
Paddy

Good responses G-Scaff but I'm still not convinced it would reduce the time spent installing an advanced guard rail on it's own. You may well be very fast at it but it will be like everything else, you will be fast at what you are used to using. That been said I could see a use for it and would certainly have a closer look at it to see how the boy's felt about using it, but to be honest as there is so many of these things on the market once you have made a decision to use one thing I usually find it prudent not to muddy the waters by adding another. Good luck though, it will be interesting to hear how you go.

How many Scaffolders have fallen while 'Traversing' the longest tube length or 6.4m?
How many...?

Come on..., - Thats right - 0, none, nudda, ziltch, NIL POINT!
To my knowledge, though limited it is, NO Scaffolder has fallen whilst Traversing 21ft along a Boarded, but un-Handrailed lift.

Never.
Never.

If so, why do we need the Scaff Step or even an Advanced Guardrail?

Does it make our lifes easier? - No.
Does it make our jobs safer? - No.

Reason? Because you CANNOT use it universally on all types of Scaffolding.
Both Systems are only good for straight neat, easy Independents and Birdcages.

Neither can be used on Roofs, Hangers, Stairs, Throwins, Trussouts, and so on.

Cogito ergo sum = They are a total waste of f.ucking time! :idea:

Please, please, please let us TRAINED, EXPERIENCED and QUALIFIED Scaffolders do our jobs and work as we are paid to?

What do you think?
Too much to ask????

It doesn't matter who fell and who didn't fall though Jason, the regulations say firstly put something in place to stop you falling. Getting too wrapped up in figures just clouds the issue, adapt and overcome.

How many Scaffolders have fallen while 'Traversing' the longest tube length or 6.4m?
How many...?

Come on..., - Thats right - 0, none, nudda, ziltch, NIL POINT!
To my knowledge, though limited it is, NO Scaffolder has fallen whilst Traversing 21ft along a Boarded, but un-Handrailed lift.

Never.
Never.

If so, why do we need the Scaff Step or even an Advanced Guardrail?

Does it make our lifes easier? - No.
Does it make our jobs safer? - No.

Reason? Because you CANNOT use it universally on all types of Scaffolding.
Both Systems are only good for straight neat, easy Independents and Birdcages.

Neither can be used on Roofs, Hangers, Stairs, Throwins, Trussouts, and so on.

Cogito ergo sum = They are a total waste of f.ucking time! :idea:

Please, please, please let us TRAINED, EXPERIENCED and QUALIFIED Scaffolders do our jobs and work as we are paid to?

What do you think?
Too much to ask????

i remember when scaffolders were scaffolders as jason says let us get on with our job were gana end up like a load of boy georges:laugh:

I know what your saying and i agree, upto a point.
Im all for adapting. Im all for overcoming.

But sometimes the things that are brought in to 'make things safe' actually make things MORE dangerous, ie: Safety Glasses, that steam up and become a serious safety issue if worn in the rain.

Same with the Step... its fine, on certain jobs. But otherwise, its a waste of time because it in itself aint made to be adapted.

Im working on an Industrial job right now, as you've seen on some of my photos. (still loving the new phone i got, lol) and we MUST use the Scaff Step at all times... how many times have i used it?

None... because it CANNOT be used on the type of jobs im doing as its not practical or suitable to use.
So im now in theory breaking the rules.

Its madness, lol.

100% agree jason theres jobs you can use the odd piece of kit but most industrial jobs your on are a no go situation 75% of lads that use this forum are sight scaffolders i may be wrong but anybody on the industrial sector will see were jasons comeing from good point!!!! not like a certain member said this year that most industrial jobs are towers err!!!! dont think so

Adapt and overcome, take the glasses off in the rain.

Same with everything else, you can't use the step in all applications but you can use it more than you think. There were 2 young lads at the course I was on moaning like hell about the step and then we discovered they have never been off the deck.

I for one am glad these regs are now in place despite the fact they might one day be used to beat me round the head with. I remember only too well how I used to build them and I wouldn't like to be responsible for my actions as they were back in the day.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

I have done industrial and the step or even G-scaff's agr could be used a lot.

you ante that olde aom lol!!!!! responsible for your actions depens how you used to built them as for glases yeah would agree if there steamed take em off and clean them as for rain cant answer that one as dont work in it lol!!!!!!!!!

The last site I was on that required glasses had an agreement to withdraw their use should it rain which meant you never had to wear them.

I slashed up a good few in the early day's Dico and don't even ask me about tying in.:eek:

you were lucky with the glases issue!! got no chance with our firm or sights. there here for eternity with us unfortunatly. even if we forget to put them on theres always a bertie bassette round corner. to tell you to put them back on lol!!!!

That is the real problem Dico, how some people apply the regs as opposed to the regs themselves, an old but true saying "Common sense isn't so common."

Top Bottom