check fittings

tubes should have been tested to destruction i would have thought.

TG20 would be the design and that states a certain diameter and certain qualities of the tube.

From the Irish Code of Practice for Access and Working Scaffolds which uses EN 12811 rather than the now defunct BS standards
Table A3: Classes of Couplers
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Type of Coupler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Class of Coupler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]B[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AA[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]BB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Right Angle Coupler[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Swivel Coupler[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Parallel Coupler[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Sleeve Coupler friction type[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]X[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Classes A & B differ in transmissible internal forces and moments and in values of load bearing capacity and stiffness. Couplers of classes AA & BB, used as single couplers have the same characteristics as couplers of classes A and B respectively, but they may also be used to increase slipping capacity if two identical couplers AA + AA or BB + BB are positioned touching each other.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Table A4: Characteristic Values of the Resistances for Couplers[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Type of Coupler[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Resistance[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Characteristic value[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Class A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Class B[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Class AA[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Class BB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Right Angle Coupler (RA)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slipping force Fs,k in kN[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]10.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]15.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cruciform bending moment M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]B[/FONT][FONT=&quot],k in kNm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]...[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.8[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]..[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pull Apart force Fp,k in KN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]30.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]…[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rotational moment M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot],k in kNm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]0.13[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Friction type sleeve coupler (SF)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slipping Force Fs,k in kN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9.0[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bending moment M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot],k in kNm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]. ..[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Swivel Coupler (SW)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slipping Force Fs,k in kN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Parallel Coupler (PA)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Slipping force Fs,k in kN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For symbols see Figure C.3 and C.4 (refer to I.S. EN 12811-1, 2004)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Sorry Dennis, looks more like hieroglyphics to me.:embarrest:

Whoops. It re-formatted the tables!

Basically the AA and the BB categories are as describes earlier and are two functional fittings touching

The A and B now have a Characteristic value of resistance for calculation purposes.

Of course they only really work and can only be measured at the node points

fu ck just when you think you are getting good at this scaffold malarky they drop AA and BB doubles on you and i still aint found out what the elusive " Class B" double looks like , will i ever see one or they they like the " BIGFOOT" and only show themselves to the most advanced scaffolders once every millennium :sad:

Because of the ultimate strength limitations on the main coupler, a supplementary coupler arrangement is normally limited to the use of one main coupler plus one supplementary coupler, which could be expected to give the following maximum safe working loads:-

2no Class A Doubles – 12.50kN
2no Class B Doubles – 18.75kN

Don’t confuse a ‘check fitting’ with a ‘supplementary fitting’ – a check fitting is just that – a fail-safe.

A supplementary fitting is required where there is enough strength in the tubes, but not enough strength in a fitting to take the required live loads.

A gap should never be left in-between the main coupler and the supplementary (or check) coupler, as this could produce a dynamic force that may cause the second fitting to fail.

It's a pity I didn't see this thread when poor old Geoff was looking for some answers.:laugh:

av seen a few fittings and they got sgb on what can thye hold lol and do you close the gates on checks or not ????

Doesn't matter. I turn the check up side down so the gate wouldn't close anyway.

the olde check fittings we all use them but!!! i can honnestly say in 25 years ive never seen a puncheon hanger or cantilever fail with a check fitting reason being if its done properly in the first place the check fitting wont ever need to be used or kick inn!! never ever seen a scaffold that has had to have a check fitting kick in!! as anybody else!!!

Doesn't matter. I turn the check up side down so the gate wouldn't close anyway.

you mean you dont wind up the loose bolt in to the gate :rolleyes:shame on you lol whats the reason for the check been upside down to dfo with how it fits the other doubble ????

No never, but that's the point, is it not? I have heard of some stripping jobs only to find the check was the only thing holding the dropper but it may well be another urban myth.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

you mean you dont wind up the loose bolt in to the gate :rolleyes:shame on you lol whats the reason for the check been upside down to dfo with how it fits the other doubble ????

No shame, I don't screw up the spare. I turn the double upside down so it fits snuggly at right angles to the main fitting. Others do it different but that is how we do things at Aom.:cool:

hahaha!!! remember in 2000 aom in pizers sandwhich kent sgb made us put any puncheons or dead legs inside the scaffold just incase any trainees come a long and un done fittings and they dropped lmfao i thought that was what hard hats were for lol!!!

FFS, that's the ultimate insult. Saying that, there were a few dead men as we call them flying off the crane pedestal at the UIE yard.:laugh:

health and safety rules even thou most days its a load of boll!ocks lmfao!!!!

ahem hope that wernt a dig dico lol every labourer should know a punchen or dead man dropper by the way the doubble is on the dead man punchen or dropper

scaff1989 ive had a few drinkos tonight and i will be honnest the scaffolding game as gone to pot the sg4 10 and advanced guard rails and step ect has killed the game unless your a spottie 18 year olde you dont know anything different!!! i remember when scaffolders were scaffolders hee hoo who cares 2012 is here enjoy the steel lmfao

scaff1989 ive had a few drinkos tonight and i will be honnest the scaffolding game as gone to pot the sg4 10 and advanced guard rails and step ect has killed the game unless your a spottie 18 year olde you dont know anything different!!! i remember when scaffolders were scaffolders hee hoo who cares 2012 is here enjoy the steel lmfao

fair enought. currently work for lets say an old school firm work to profit margin regs lol 1/2 boards how ever high no single handrail no advanced guard rail had to w8 nearly a year for a harness that was fit for the job and frowned upon if put on on a job (unless theve had visit of hse)am not sayign i have learnt the old school way or know any were near as much as the old school boys,( tricks of the trad you carnt get away with now with sg and tg and what have you) and would never question there expriences all i will say is i have more than half and idea of the old school days than most other trainees have , jointed the forum to find out new things and share information n granted the crk i here form the good olde days ad of loved to of been part of them. think thats fair enough ?

That's true 89 all the boy's that work with me have had a good dollop of old school training thrown in. You don't have to be old to know what old school is. Thanks for the reminder.

Top Bottom