check fittings

cala

Reaction score
With a load of 6.3kn ( double ) when you fix a check double how can it double up to 12.6kn, on any system the max load is the weakest link ie. the double at 6.3kn... how can by fitting a check make it 12.6kn...??? each double will slip ( alledgedly ) at 6.3kn....

Well at the risk of looking like a total tw at is it not doubled as there are 2 of them. Is that not why some jobs could have 5 or 6 checks on them just to up the load?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Especially when dropping off a hanger.

I think you may have something there aom.

Should av been a professor of scaffolding me thinks ........lol

I heard somewhere - more then likely this Forum, that for every fitting used as a check fitting the strength halves, or something to that degree.

A Double = 6.3kn.
2 Doubles = 9.45kn.
3 Doubles = 12.525kn.
And so on.

More then likely not, but im sure i heard it somewhere.

haha, there are a few old teachers down Campbeltown way that have just turned in their grave.:nuts:

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I heard somewhere - more then likely this Forum, that for every fitting used as a check fitting the strength halves, or something to that degree.

A Double = 6.3kn.
2 Doubles = 9.45kn.
3 Doubles = 12.525kn.
And so on.

More then likely not, but im sure i heard it somewhere.

Jason, I think you are right, that's why you see some with multiple check's.

Haha scaffman, a bit soon to look out the white coat yet then.:laugh:

haha, there are a few old teachers down Campbeltown way that have just turned in their grave.:nuts:

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Jason, I think you are right, that's why you see some with multiple check's.

Haha scaffman, a bit soon to look out the white coat yet then.:laugh:

I don't know mate, most of us will have people in white coats looking for us I think...

Good replies, and I know what your saying, thing I think about is.. a double at 6.3kn will slip over that.. so put 20 checks on, and they should in theory all slip at the same time ???

Not sure.
I suppose Luck will factor into it, also.

Not every fitting is 100% the same... especially if they are old and used.
Some have been tightned up more then others, some have been stretched more/less, some have crap on the threads/gates and so on.

Good replies, and I know what your saying, thing I think about is.. a double at 6.3kn will slip over that.. so put 20 checks on, and they should in theory all slip at the same time ???

Cala, think of it as holding something with one hand, and then with two hands....... Better grip, right...

Yeh, just wanted to start a thread to get people thinking, everyone knows checks go were they need to go, but the theory says they should all go at the same time, I know they won't.. but its a thought...

That's why check fittings should always have daylight between them.

I see what you were getting at now Cala. I'm obviously not sure of the exact loads but I think Jason was right when he said it does reduce but it still ups the loads. If one is starting to just slip there will not be the same load on the next and practically nil on the third.

The usual disclaimer applies.:embarrest:

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

That's why check fittings should always have daylight between them.

That's a new one on me Swifty, I was always taught to turn the check upside down and at right angle to it's neighbour so it fits snug almost male and female like so it was tight.

I see what you were getting at now Cala. I'm obviously not sure of the exact loads but I think Jason was right when he said it does reduce but it still ups the loads. If one is starting to just slip there will not be the same load on the next and practically nil on the third.

The usual disclaimer applies.:embarrest:

Was just thinking that mate, the load would reduce as it went down the chain ( checks ) good discussion though for a sat nite ( sad ******** ) including me :bigsmile:

Why not go wild and start a thread on the idiosyncrasies on performance between normal and fire retardant boards. That should get the juices flowing.:laugh:

Doing part two with John Ellis at the moment. It's 6.1kn for the double it's then reduced by 50% per check (complimentary) fitting. So the second fitting is 3.05kn & then 1.52kn so & so fourth from there. So basically by the time you reach the fourth fitting, in theory it's doing nothing.
Hope this helps.

Doing part two with John Ellis at the moment. It's 6.1kn for the double it's then reduced by 50% per check (complimentary) fitting. So the second fitting is 3.05kn & then 1.52kn so & so fourth from there. So basically by the time you reach the fourth fitting, in theory it's doing nothing.
Hope this helps.

Oh yeh... were did I get 6.3 from ?? must be this San Miguel.. thanks mate, great reply...

AOM... I cant even spell what you posted :)

As for the daylight thing... I heard of that, personally I fit mine at 90 degrees and tight.... anyone do owt different ?

Why not go wild and start a thread on the idiosyncrasies on performance between normal and fire retardant boards. That should get the juices flowing.:laugh:

Oh yeh... were did I get 6.3 from ?? must be this San Miguel.. thanks mate, great reply...

AOM... I cant even spell what you posted :)

As for the daylight thing... I heard of that, personally I fit mine at 90 degrees and tight.... anyone do owt different ?

eh, to be honest, either can I. :laugh:

The makita solves all don't it Paddy. Starting to get a wee bit concerned about over tightening though. We were on a small job last week over vats and I gave a single a quick nip while we were levelling, I then asked the guy I was working with to change it round the right way and the veins in his neck bulged as he tried to loosen it. He is built like a may pole right enough so not sure if I over tightened it or if he really is as weak as a kitten.

its the same as you may see steelwork with 2 bolts its to check the first 1 from slip or movement.its called a check for the simple reason its there to check,any more than 2 checks double up the droppers or pick-ups.

Top Bottom