Causing Damage - taking responsbility

Reaction score
Hello, I'm not a scaffolder. Just have a couple of questions to ask some.

I live in a basement flat of house that's being scaffolded at the moment due to a fire in the upstairs flat. And was just wondering what most scaffolders would do in the event that they dropped their ladder on someone's hand made wooden planter and damaged it.

In my experience, it seems to be the case that scaffolders will all stick together, all deny doing it, and tell me I can't prove anything. They seem to be very well rehearsed in saying this.

Also, if you had to remove a lot of tree branches in the course of a scaffolding job, would you chop them up and remove them yourselves? Or leave it for the poor guy who lives at the bottom of the aforementioned burnt out building, who has nothing to do with the erection of the scaffolding, and has some energy restricting health problems.

youll have to ask the builders about that mate there always at that sort of stuff the scaffs wouldnt do such deeds.

T Garden---a Scaffolders word is his bond old chap and not pron to telling porkies pies---its a crying shame the Scaffolder chappies gets the blame for every thing---yer avin a feckin geraff antit GYSTF...

well put garry i should think that will be the last of those aqusations against our brethen,in fact two of my gang members visit the chelsea flower show every year and most scaffs i know are extremely garden friendly.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

lol love the GYSTF

Good evening Celtic, fancy meeting you here LOL---indeed, horticulture is getting quite popular within the Fraternity so much so that it extends to PLANTATIONS :eek: Tomato Plants ect :cool:

farz di skins Man :nuts:

This is taken from all my quotes " IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE MAIN CONTRACTOR TO REMOVE OR DECANT ANY OBJECTS OF VALUE AS WE CAN NOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FROM ANY DAMAGE ARISING , ALL GARDEN FURNITURE AND PLANT POTS MUST BE REMOVED , MAIN CONTRACTOR MUST ALLOW TO RE-TUNE ANY SATELLITE DISH OR TELEVISION ARIEL
AFTER THE SCAFFOLD HAS BEEN REMOVED"

Sorry Trampled Garden it is down to the builders to make sure the garden is clear and ready for the scaffold to be erected

i would just chop tree from bottom so it wasn't in way, as for plant pot we always got gaffer tape in wagon so would try fix it!!

We want................A SHWUBBEWY

The branches just fell off mate, us Scaffolders have green fingers and wouldn't dream of damaging any shrubbery.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UbtcmjfKa8]Monty Python-The knights who say Ni!! - YouTube[/ame]

We instill in our lads, to own up to any damage straight away, we don't bollok em, that way we can stand behind them and deny any charges

Because as usual, we are always the first to be blamed

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

well put garry i should think that will be the last of those aqusations against our brethen,in fact two of my gang members visit the chelsea flower show every year and most scaffs i know are extremely garden friendly.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

lol love the GYSTF

Celtic your guys go to the Chelsea flower show every year? are they that interested in flowers/plants?

As it obviously couldn't have been the scaffolders maybe someone holds a grudge. Have you been hanging out of anyones missus lately?

We instill in our lads, to own up to any damage straight away, we don't bollok em, that way we can stand behind them and deny any charges

Because as usual, we are always the first to be blamed

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Celtic your guys go to the Chelsea flower show every year? are they that interested in flowers/plants?

of course hatter they are mad keen on the ol green fingers stuff cant stop them when it comes to the planting season......good lads too.

Welcome to sf trampledgarden, as normal scaffs get the blame. I do hope you made a nice cuppa for the lads, and sat down for 5 mins? and come on now, they did even take the time out to explain to you that "You cannot prove it" What would it be like if one of the scaffs tripped on the plant pot, and done HIMSELF an injury? don't tell me, yep you guest it "the scaffs fault" I take pride in my work, I have even been known to take a metal detector to work with me, to retrieve any fittings that have got stuck 8" in a flower bed, or in the middle of a lawn, see we do care.

Hello, I'm not a scaffolder. Just have a couple of questions to ask some.

I live in a basement flat of house that's being scaffolded at the moment due to a fire in the upstairs flat. And was just wondering what most scaffolders would do in the event that they dropped their ladder on someone's hand made wooden planter and damaged it.

In my experience, it seems to be the case that scaffolders will all stick together, all deny doing it, and tell me I can't prove anything. They seem to be very well rehearsed in saying this.

Also, if you had to remove a lot of tree branches in the course of a scaffolding job, would you chop them up and remove them yourselves? Or leave it for the poor guy who lives at the bottom of the aforementioned burnt out building, who has nothing to do with the erection of the scaffolding, and has some energy restricting health problems.

First off welcome to the scaffolders forum, secondly you sound like every other injured party we ever come across if something gets damaged, broken or stolen and there is scaffolding in the vicinity blame the scaffolders [they must have done it, cant have been anyone else]

Blame the scaffolders

Yep the scaffolders always get the blame
We had a complaint recently when a slate came of a roof at the front of a 4 story building and hit a parked van
The van driver decided that it was the scaffolders fault who were erecting the second lift on the rear of the building
He started shouting abuse at our men
who gave him some of the same in return
He then reported us to the police, who arrived and after speaking to our foreman told him we couldn't be to blame as we were 30ft below the roof at the time
Meantime the van drivers boss had phoned me at our office to blame our company for a very serious incident and claim for damage to his vehicle

When I told him the facts and asked him to explain how we could be to blame he went quiet for a few seconds then hung up the phone

I'm still waiting for him to phone back with an appology

Well, I have to say, the attitude I've found here and with the scaffolders who did the damage is very similar to that of these ferral kids who go around mugging and vandalizing things. "You can't prove it was us what done it!" You, and they, seem to enjoy the thrill of doing damage and getting away with it.

And now we are wild animals Trampled Garden :eek: , how would you go about putting scaffolding up in a Garden with pots every where , garden furniture , and the "Oh you cant put that there " attitude ?

Well, I have to say, the attitude I've found here and with the scaffolders who did the damage is very similar to that of these ferral kids who go around mugging and vandalizing things. "You can't prove it was us what done it!" You, and they, seem to enjoy the thrill of doing damage and getting away with it.

Mate this is a forum for scaffolders to discuss scaffolding, pass on tips & information.
What did you really expect????
We WILL stick together & we WILL take the piss it's in our nature. No Scaff worth a toss will Point the finger at another.
By law it's the responsibility of the main contractor to remove any debris caused during the execution of any works unless otherwise stated. It is also your responsibility to remove any valuable or perishable items before any work commences. Legally it is also the responsibility of both yourself & the main contractor to provide a clean & hazard free area for the scaffolders to carry out their task.
Ask yourself this: would I be on this forum if asking this question if one of the lads had done himself a serious injury moving or tripping over this planter & was suing me?
One more thing before I step down from my soapbox: if the lads leave any tubes or fittings lying about once the jobs down mate, give us a shout I know a bloke who'll buy em of me :-0

Excuse me?

Comparing us to feral kids? For a starters this is a forum where we speak the Queens English, most feral kids can't read or write, let alone type. Scaffolding is a hard job and those sort of kids rarely last more than a day. I am sorry you have had this bad experience, genuinely I am, but your comments are a tad out of order.

Remember we are not the main contractors, if anything is damaged then you must see the builder who will in turn deal with the scaffold firm himself. Tree branches should also have been removed by him. Scaffold lorries are insured to carry tube and board, not landscape waste.

Top Bottom