Basing out and putting in the Beamwork for the start of a 140ft high Tube and Fitting

not done much beam work ,what are stringers

Stringers are basically tubes that tie the Beams together - off Doubles to help prevent the Beams twisting and to add a bit more strength to the job.

If you can get them on your Puncheons then all the better, as it does 2 jobs then.
1: Tie your Beams together and 2: Act as check tubes.

Theres all different names for them though.. like: Stringers, Lace tubes, Tie tubes and so on.

Stringers are basically tubes that tie the Beams together - off Doubles to help prevent the Beams twisting and to add a bit more strength to the job.

If you can get them on your Puncheons then all the better, as it does 2 jobs then.
1: Tie your Beams together and 2: Act as check tubes.

Theres all different names for them though.. like: Stringers, Lace tubes, Tie tubes and so on.

Allways belived that a stringer is what carries your stair treads?

Allways belived that a stringer is what carries your stair treads?

I dunno mate. Different areas have different names for things.
I call them Stringers as for when your doing a temporary roof.
Stringers and Purlins. Stringers tie the Beams together and Purlins hold your Tin sheets.

Im more then likely wrong though, lol.
Probably called 'Lay-ons' or something. :-D

hi jason tidy job when you join beams together the v is supposed to point to the sky something to do with loadings in the join and it will be on the drawing so any faliure on that scaffold it could get pointed out, i have been asked to change beams about before because it was pick out after inspection by safety and access we done a double double.

:laugh::laugh: Is that you commenting on bettertax on facebook :laugh:

stringers are the tubes that rake for the str cse treddas to attach to mate

we just call the others tie tubes-either bottom cord or top chord tie tube, -same as u with the purlins under the tin but on the top we call that the mattress

stringers are the tubes that rake for the str cse treddas to attach to mate

we just call the others tie tubes-either bottom cord or top chord tie tube, -same as u with the purlins under the tin but on the top we call that the mattress

Thats what I allways thought but others say different!!! Must be a regional thing!!!!!

Last edited:
variations accross the country i surpose, had a geordie on once that really confused me by calling brds battons lolo

We had some brickies on a job once from lowestoft and they called boards deals.. Wtf is that all about.. They did have a strange accent aswell, they sounded like pirates.

I have always called ledgers for a staircase "stringers" and always called the bottom chord tubes on a roof "stiffners" always confused me when i heard Northern lads call braces "Rakers" i always think of Rakers as ties like buttress

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

We had some brickies on a job once from lowestoft and they called boards deals.. Wtf is that all about.. They did have a strange accent aswell, they sounded like pirates.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR pass me that deal matey :laugh::laugh:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JImcvtJzIK8]Why is the Rum Gone? - Remix - YouTube[/ame]

We had some brickies on a job once from lowestoft and they called boards deals.. Wtf is that all about.. They did have a strange accent aswell, they sounded like pirates.[/QUOTE

Used "Deals" a long time ago in Pompey Navel Base, similar to what the Dutch use heavy bstds no intermediate transoms put the full job up on doubles

well shiver me timbers me heartys,just cos i wears a eye patch and as a parrot on me shoulder dont make me a pirate ahahhahh:D

As Steveo South East says the beams are upside down. Iknow and you know they will take the weight but on a drawing and as scaff tech or any other drawing supplier will say the V of beam should be at top something to do with weight distribution.

i hate unit beams too they are far to heavy, respect to brothers who have used these as when three or four in a line, saying that i came across ladder beams 21ft long last month so i had a press and struggled to lock out two reps.

thats the trouble wiv u young ens,too much aliwork has made u soft- wasnt that long ago a decent scaff would put a ladderbeam on his shoulder and carry em up the ladder, we used to stand em upright and base out wiv em up town

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

I prefer to do that, but im not the Chargehand on that job... not that it makes much difference -
thats a bit of a cop out geezer, just cos u not the chargehand dont mean u aint got a say, especially if you know its wrong, u always staying that ur an advanced scaff, so act like one and do it to the drwg, we all know that it gonna be ok but in this day and age of the blame culture, its your name on it,but i will give u 10/10 for the bolloocks to put something all over the net to get slated when u know it wrong lolol & then to show ur technical ignorance with terminology make me crack up "stringers always have and always will be the stair case diagnal formers , even chippies call em that,...get back in a big gang and off the net where your lack of knowledge wont show u upas a u mug lolo

Last edited:
If i have a choice between lugging Ladder Beams about and not, id rather not... if that makes me a wimp, so be it, lol.

Fact is, with Health and Safety, in this day and age Ladder Beams are TOO heavy.
No other trade has to use equipment that is anywhere near as heavy as us Scaffolders do - its all either broken down into small parts and made lighter or there are mechanical lifting aids in place.

If we was paid alot more money then the other trades (like Scaffolders used to be) then fine, id accept it - but facts are that we are well underpaid for the wear/tear and strain that we put our bodies through on a daily basis.

Kill myself for peanuts?
Kill myself to prove my 'manliness'?
Kill myself to prove a point?

I think not. :)

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

thats a bit of a cop out geezer, just cos u not the chargehand dont mean u aint got a say, especially if you know its wrong, u always staying that ur an advanced scaff, so act like one and do it to the drwg, we all know that it gonna be ok but in this day and age of the blame culture, its your name on it,but i will give u 10/10 for the bolloocks to put something all over the net to get slated when u know it wrong lolol

I dont think so...
Im new on this Firm and my friend who im working with IS the Chargehand on the job, with 5 years+ on this Firm.

I do as im told, simple as that... exactly how i would expect him to, if the roles were reversed.

Those Beams will look pukka when they are finished, trust me.
Im doing them. :)
'V's together or not - the Engineer will be happy to sign them off - as we've already spoke to him about it.

prob will look pucker , u wont even notice the fuuck up with the amount of tube goin into it, but that wasnt the point i was tryin to make, if it was a fuuuck up at the start you gotta carry that all the way to the top now, part of being an A ticket is the ability to read desighn drwgs and to erect to it, they arnt open to interpretation just cos u wanna,

Not really Fred mate, i dont think so...
For looks - sure.

But we have the same problem over Farringdon and there was about 1000 Unit Beams in that Birdcage and the Engineers who worked on that job (Network Rail/Thameslink) were fine with it.

If they are happy.
Then i am. :)

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

prob will look pucker , u wont even notice the fuuck up with the amount of tube goin into it, but that wasnt the point i was tryin to make, if it was a fuuuck up at the start you gotta carry that all the way to the top now, part of being an A ticket is the ability to read desighn drwgs and to erect to it, they arnt open to interpretation just cos u wanna,

I can read Design Drawings...
Who cant???

The Beams simply did not fit, the way they are supposed to.
The Flanges did not always go the same way.

What am i to do?
Refuse to work??? Over the way the beams go? Lol, right, thats gonna happen.

Theres a Drawing - we followed it and the Beams ended up how they did, due to the Flanges and nothing to do with us putting them in wrong.

The Engineer saw what we did.
Hes happy to sign them off.
End of. :)

contact the designer and he'll amend ur drwgs, otherwise i bet u get some 2 day advanced inspection prick putting a phobition on it lolo

take the otherguys advise and get urself an IW you'll never look back cos u b 2 busy doin up the next 3k nuts

I'm with you on this one J, plus as Fredrik states does it matter? which way especially when doubled, does it mean the weight on the top Chord is not transported to the bottom chord as the Impact load is to the V instead of the ^ however, ^V^V^V^V.

Top Bottom