ban impact wrenches

Full respect m8 full respect. I dont av em on my firm coz they give me a headache - plus fitting strengh too tight or not tight enough - costly - way you down - very noisy.

I wouldnt use em for erecting, no point bringing them in on a strike... cant really see the HSE approveing them in the long term, ur relyin on a machine and not every scaff useing them has 33 yrs experience... if you give one to an amature could prove quite dangerous if under pressure to erect the job.... each to thir own i spos mate

not for my firm... i dont consider them safe to use on my own firm, plus their costly bulkey to carry very noisy. full respect tho mate :)

I may be wrong as usual but I would hazard a guess and say he has never used one.

you know the saying guys
you can take a horse to water but cant make him drink
you can take a scaffolder to a pub and cant stop him lolo

trig m8 ur got ur opinons but they're slightly blinkered,15yrs ago ratchet spanners came into use and most people thought they were over priced and would be shiiit to use - now most scaffs have them on there belt
personally i think if u can afford one its the way to go :))

Last edited:
Yes very true. I just wish some people would try before forming an opinion. I don't mind listening to the tried and just not for me.

Triggzy thanks for your replies however, when going to add you as a friend......on your profile it came up as jazzer18 how many accounts have you ?

18 for sure, but they tell me it's more the amh you have to check, the higher the better.

What do you rap it rapid with? I her makita/hilti flying around but never herd a mention of the dewalts they not up to scratch personally i found the dewalts a better brand when plumbing than anything eles is this not the case in scaffolding (they also look smaller)

"Dont knock it till youve tried it" .

All this Torque,torque and more torque is a complete load of forum sh1t, IMHO the only person of over 10.5k members that understands actually the 55nm of torque required is my very learned friend Garry Adams, Garry doesnt just Torque the torque he walks the walk.

All the non believers of the Impact wrench, relay to Torque values, am i missing the point here........ is there a new type of wristwatch type torque reader available, or a free i-phone app for torque values of scaffold fittings. that is just for Spanners, do they beep at the right Torque value?

P.S How many of you know how to wrap a fitting to 55nm ? Stickies,drop forged, serviced, non-serviced, boultons,Presco's,Sleeves and Checks on puncheons etc. If i am in doubt i bring the spanner out for a bash, however, who is to say my spanner wrap is the same as Joe Bloggs spanner arm.

I have seen scaffs just nip a single, and know for a fact once the boards are bounced up to that tranny, that fitting is going to be loose. On the otherhand, i have seen scaffs pulling there Cherry out on wrapping a double on shoring jobs, thinking this will hold, when in reality they are just stretching the fitting and biting into the tubing.

The Impact wrench as has been stated so many times is a addendum to a scaffolders tool belt, not a end of spanners, so the younguns can still go clanking and clinking into the cafe with their belts on.:eek: Times are changing, so step up to the plate, and let technology take some of the burden off our shoulders.

used them didnt like em to much hassle...were crack on with our spanners all the best :)

Wow

Only read the last few pages.
Wouldn't mind a bash to see but not gonna lay out for one just incase. Maybe I'll come across someone who has one someday and can get a bash.
Sort of stuck in my ways with the spanner I think

Paddy's talk of torque very funny/interesting, short of running round with a torque wrench it's not possible !!! lol
Was always told to do fitting up tight, then an extra quarter turn but as paddy says you see some going at it like the clappers, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeeeeeak ! lol

Reply from Makita.

FAQ
Dear mr. carr,

Thank you for your interest in our products and our brand. Your question has been received and will be answered shortly.

While we are committed to giving you a quick response please allow at least 2 working days for an answer. We will email you our reply or you can check the web site to see if your question has been published.

Question:

Hi myself and quite a few other members of the www.scaffoldersforum,com have purchased the BTW251 impact wrench, which we use for scaffolding fittings and fixing bolts etc. After a online discussion with members, it has been identified that there is a problem,with the socket falling off. Theese users as well as myself have the I.W with a hole drilled through the drive, however, none of us were supplied with any type of retaining pin, or guidance about it. I look forward to hearing from you in the future with regard ro any light you could shed on this problem.

Answer:

Good morning Patrick

in answer to your question, this machine comes with a ring spring which holds the socket in place.

you can purchase a pin & o ring to use with sockets which have a hole in. the part no's are. pin 256187-8 O ring 213405-7

Regards

Makita Service Care

With best regards,

Makita UK
T: 01908 211678

W: Makita UK

Please note that this is an automated email, so replies to this address cannot be responded to.

I take it that is different numbers than the ones I gave you Paddy?

Feck the noise Phillios, it beats busting the wrist any day of the week but you don't want the whole squad with them. 3 man gang 1 wrench.

And you know who the man with the gun is in my squad.:cool:

To be honest i have only ever seen one in action and the noise nearly gave me a heart attack i could just imagine a nice Sunday morning , then along comes the " wrench man "

but i can see they would be great in certain situations , so you do rate them then Aom ?

Top Bottom