Advanced in 3 yrs??????????

I'm not naive Phil, I know the industry stinks from top to bottom, but if there was an organisational body in place that wasn't just bothered about money, we would be classed as skilled and minimum rates for the job would be in place..

May have done the course after 3 yrs and just got a card to prove that he done two weeks on a no fail course,but we've all seen loads of fella's with all kinds of cards that are feckin useless,just devalues the game for the rest of us,and makes a mockery of the guys who had to put the years in working on all kinds of different scaffold scenario's to achieve our status the hard way:mad:

I'm not naive Phil, I know the industry stinks from top to bottom, but if there was an organisational body in place that wasn't just bothered about money, we would be classed as skilled and minimum rates for the job would be in place..

Fair enough.

Explain to us how that mechanism would work then.

Gents Are we talking about scaffolding or Brain Surgery. Training route for brain surgery is below
5 years Medical Degree
2 years Foundation Training
8 years Neurosurgery training
Scaffolding is a little bit easier I would say.
10 years is what the old scaffs used to tell the young ones, 10 years on an oil rig and you still wont be able to base out with base plates!! 10 years on housing sites and you still wont be a scaffolder
New route can be done in 2 and a half years from start to finish however depends on the individual as to when he can run a contract and the variation of contract works he gets. I take my hat off to him at least he is trying!!!

As simple as the governing body in charge of the trade saying, a Scaffolder part 2 must be paid at least, £14 an hour or whatever they deem acceptable..

As I said Phil I'm not naive, something like this would never happen, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't..

As simple as the governing body in charge of the trade saying, a Scaffolder part 2 must be paid at least, £14 an hour or whatever they deem acceptable..

As I said Phil I'm not naive, something like this would never happen, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't..

And here you are protesting about our trade having a 'governing body'.

Why should any business be told what they can or can't pay their employees?

As long as it meets the minimum wage it should nobody else's business.

When a business is operating in an industry that's regulated by a governing body then the rate of pay should be advised by the regulators of that industry..

Any business taking advantage of what is supposedly a skilled workforce , well, they're just *****..

You advocating minimum wage Phil, you tell US, what's acceptable?

When a business is operating in an industry that's regulated by a governing body then the rate of pay should be advised by the regulators of that industry..

Any business taking advantage of what is supposedly a skilled workforce , well, they're just *****..

You advocating minimum wage Phil, you tell US, what's acceptable?

What's acceptable is just an individual's opinion.

What I do know is that every time someone comes on this site asking about where they can get a harness, because their 'employer' doesn't provide them with one, is just another nail in the coffin for our industry.

I recently seen 2 guys starting the same job as me demand hard hats and harness, even though they were self employed, they went home when the gear was refused, some strange people in this game..

All of what I've said is wishful thinking, but I had to work for not a lot of money years ago, and people are doing it now, that's what bothers me..

Gents Are we talking about scaffolding or Brain Surgery. Training route for brain surgery is below
5 years Medical Degree
2 years Foundation Training
8 years Neurosurgery training
Scaffolding is a little bit easier I would say.
10 years is what the old scaffs used to tell the young ones, 10 years on an oil rig and you still wont be able to base out with base plates!! 10 years on housing sites and you still wont be a scaffolder
New route can be done in 2 and a half years from start to finish however depends on the individual as to when he can run a contract and the variation of contract works he gets. I take my hat off to him at least he is trying!!!

Well years ago there was a scaffolder who studied and became a brain surgeon. To date there have been no recorded cases of brain surgeons becoming scaffolders.

It bothers me when threads that guys want to improve our situation get other guys on it that always put us down.

London Scaff what the f__k do you know about what anyone is doing look at your contributions over the time you have been on!

Why is that guys are with a large firm they are in a position to dictate the way things happen they have a set view. Scaffolding was a good trade to be in, as they say we had the crack. That has gone.

But that is the same for a lot of trades not just us.

The pressure that is now on scafolders on sites with tight budgets is growing. Experiance is the key to a good scaffolder as well as a good teacher.

Why do some people on here put down any idea of improving our trade.

Please explain why it is so good for all involved.

That would include the whole of the industry not just the cream!!!!

Ragscaff

I can see your concern boys but why the hell shouldn't he? Yes yes, the usual stuff about running a job and running men, but if he is capable to hold the card, good on him. He won't be asked to run a site till he is ready.

My thoughts entirely. If he's a good lad then don't knock him down before he's given a chance. Let him make his mistakes, learn from them, the same as all of us did. People do learn at different rates, and if it takes him three years to learn his trade then fair enough and good on him for being attentive and wanting to be as good as he can. I'll bet there's a good few on here that would've been more than capable after three or so years and a good deal more that have their advanced, pretend they know what they're doing and still haven't a f###ing clue.

The young people change the world not old people, if the person is good enough age should not come into it. The card only states the person has done training the rest is part of learning by your mistakes,which is called life

24 years in this industry from yard boy to director, yet every day is still a school day in scaffolding.... Still learning...

The young people change the world not old people, if the person is good enough age should not come into it. The card only states the person has done training the rest is part of learning by your mistakes,which is called life

That is the problem, Principal contractors think that the advanced means something other than you can read & retain information!!

To state that leaning from mistakes is part of life is the main basis for the problem in this training system.

A mistake can cost a scaffold collapse or some one getting hurt!

Learning in a controlled environment whilst with your employer doing your job with an experienced scaffolder would reduce this down to nearly nil!!!!

As it used to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress I do not agree.

Ragscaff

Alright lads not posted many times but had to on this one think its funny that you can be a doctor in 7 years but not an advance scaffold come on lads get a grip. there's fkaw hard about scaffolding if you know how its same guy different hair cut lol most days . I was advance at 24 there's guys at 44 couldn't put a nut in a monkey mouth so wits the point we all learn at different speeds I can you can't you can I can't we ain't the same but the whole point of this post is yes he can be ...... I was

Alright lads not posted many times but had to on this one think its funny that you can be a doctor in 7 years but not an advance scaffold come on lads get a grip. there's fkaw hard about scaffolding if you know how its same guy different hair cut lol most days . I was advance at 24 there's guys at 44 couldn't put a nut in a monkey mouth so wits the point we all learn at different speeds I can you can't you can I can't we ain't the same but the whole point of this post is yes he can be ...... I was

Post of the year so far. Excellent. I had made some posts about scaffolding not exactly being the most technical job in the world. Great comparison with doctors Davie.

Top Bottom