Advanced in 3 yrs??????????

taken me nearly 30 yrs still avent got one 23yr old adv no way

you must be late 40s like me scouse so were both not competent lol!!! i would say any lad thats 23yrs olde with a advanced card is???? unless been trainned in a family bussiness or started at a very young age like i said earlier who cares as long as they can do the job!!! think we all no someone close in the scaffolding sector that are advanced that you couldnt leave alone without support

I must agree. 23 and an advanced scaffolder. It laughable. there's that many rules and regs that comes with that card is unbelivable. i know lads in there early 40's with their gold cards, and whenever theres a problem they buckle under pressure. gaining the card is 1 thing but i personly think you should have at least 10 years scaffolding knowledge under your belt. im 33, 15 years scaffing and i've only just done my advanced card and my smsts card, and even i still feel i've got stuff still to learn.

Over the years I have learnt tickets don't mean a thing,imagine my horror when I saw people basing out with a reverse ledger,I thought they was crazy,then when i thought about it for a while I thought,hmmmm,actually,not a bad idea,my point being,scaffold keeps changing,mostly for the better,i've learnt to go with the flow and take no notice of tickets,you can tell a scaff in 5 minutes,the others are just fly by nights.

Well it is and it forms part of the assessment process as I said, all the final assessments have a time limit. To be considered proficient at any task, you have to be able to complete it within agreed time limits and safely, all reasonable requests to ask of a fully trained scaffolder.

Being in a position where P&L is part of the responsibility obviously productivity is a major concern. However I thought we were discussing the actual course not the final assessment. The actual course is education and speed should not play a part. Competency also requires experience and thus the guy doing is part 1 should not be rushed. A sprinter breaks world records after a lot of practice.
There are some countries where if productivity or a timeframe to complete a job is mentioned the scaffolders play the safety card and say the pressure to complete a job in a set time may cause them to have an accident.

Dont think i agree with that hswt - tbh your A ticket isnt & shouldnt be about education- you should be as we were told proving you are proficient at the tasks set out.with the minimal of supervision,something i beleive which can only be achieved through experiance. 3 years in my book doesnt even make u a basic let alone an advanced......so its ok then is it to have all these guys with the supposed qualification to tackle any job our industry throws @ them but the realism of it is with the little xperiance they have its a recipe for disaster & to which they are going to hurt themselves and those around them

I had always understood that the idea of a training course was to show people the correct ways according to best practice. The idea of the portfolios was to show that this instruction has been put to fit and proper use in an actual work enviroment and the final assessment was a practical assessment to make sure the evidence all added up. For example someone could turn up with an immaculate portfolio of evidence provided by someone else and the assessment was for the assessor to ensure the man could actually perform the required tasks.
There are thousands of people who sit and pass the Nebosh or Iosh but it doesn't make them competent safety professionals in a work enviroment as we all know.

Being in a position where P&L is part of the responsibility obviously productivity is a major concern. However I thought we were discussing the actual course not the final assessment. The actual course is education and speed should not play a part. Competency also requires experience and thus the guy doing is part 1 should not be rushed. A sprinter breaks world records after a lot of practice.
There are some countries where if productivity or a timeframe to complete a job is mentioned the scaffolders play the safety card and say the pressure to complete a job in a set time may cause them to have an accident.

It's all the same thing really. You can only assess the course criteria, so if there is a time limit on the final assessment there has to be a time limit on the course.

What training provider is it?
I can't see any problem with the lad taking all day with a tower. Can't see anything that says speed is part of competency. That will be a problem for the person who pays his wages.

Its wasnt the speed that concerned me HSWT. It was the fact they made him build it approx 20 times. They kept making him do it over and over to to his lack off experience. On a 2x2m square he didnt know how to chase the baces and plum his standards correctly. He literally booked the course and turned up. No knowledge of anything to do with scaffolding. Not even had a day on site yet. Fresh as anything....

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

23 yr old advanced scaff are u on a wind up what would he no seriously

Like i said scouse, he is pretty good on the tools. But its the resposibility im concerned for.

he may be the nuts with a spanner but the no how comes later with exp advanced at 23 to young but good luck to him anyway

Totaly agree. Advanced at 23 far too young. you put him in the steelworks or petro-chemicle or the power stations without experience and your asking for trouble. anybody can be sxxt hot on the spanner, but knowhow comes with time.

Maybe The Kid Is Really Good, Iv Been Scaffolding Since 1978 And Dont Have An Advanced Card, And To Be Perfectly Honest For What Im Doing I Dont Need One, If Twenty Years Ago My Then Employer Sent Me For The Advanced Card I Would Have Done It No Problem , But They Didnt They Only Sent The Creeps And Crawlers For There Gold Cards. Iv Worked With Advanced Scaffolders That You Cant Trust To Go For A Pee Unaided, And Iv Worked With Basic Scaffolders That Are Really **** Hot, Its How The Individual Reacts To And Interprets The Training.

Exactly Gerscaff. As I said at the start of this thread, the funding has changed and this will hopefully become the norm more than the exception.

Good Its About Time, There Should Be More Advanced Scaffolders. By The Way Well Done On 13,000 Posts Thats A Fearsome Amount Buddy, Well Done.

Its wasnt the speed that concerned me HSWT. It was the fact they made him build it approx 20 times. They kept making him do it over and over to to his lack off experience. On a 2x2m square he didnt know how to chase the baces and plum his standards correctly. He literally booked the course and turned up. No knowledge of anything to do with scaffolding. Not even had a day on site yet. Fresh as anything....

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

Like i said scouse, he is pretty good on the tools. But its the resposibility im concerned for.

That puts a different slant on taking all day to do a tower.You can't blame the training schools they will take anyones money.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Exactly Gerscaff. As I said at the start of this thread, the funding has changed and this will hopefully become the norm more than the exception.

I would like to see the funding stopped. It might be a good way of stopping some of these cock heads entering a once proud industry.

Good Its About Time, There Should Be More Advanced Scaffolders. By The Way Well Done On 13,000 Posts Thats A Fearsome Amount Buddy, Well Done.

Yeah, pure sh1te too.:laugh:

We are always complaining about poor or insufficient training and now the young team are benefitting from something we never we are still complaining, unbelievable. Maybe it will help put an end to the 2 day safety men telling the scaffs what's what and the balance of power can eventually swing back in the scaffs favour, knowledge is power.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

That puts a different slant on taking all day to do a tower.You can't blame the training schools they will take anyones money.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

I would like to see the funding stopped. It might be a good way of stopping some of these cock heads entering a once proud industry.

FFS, that takes the fekin biscuit and says more about you than the funding. You were only saying the other day we are glorified MFI furniture assemblers and now you want the funding and access to training restricted, I really do shak ma fekin heed.

Maybe The Kid Is Really Good, Iv Been Scaffolding Since 1978 And Dont Have An Advanced Card, And To Be Perfectly Honest For What Im Doing I Dont Need One, If Twenty Years Ago My Then Employer Sent Me For The Advanced Card I Would Have Done It No Problem , But They Didnt They Only Sent The Creeps And Crawlers For There Gold Cards. Iv Worked With Advanced Scaffolders That You Cant Trust To Go For A Pee Unaided, And Iv Worked With Basic Scaffolders That Are Really **** Hot, Its How The Individual Reacts To And Interprets The Training.

It would be interesting to see how many men sent on courses by employers or paid for themselves like us self employed have lasted 30 years in the game and how many sent on courses paid for by funding last 10 years.

Nevee said he was **** hot but pretty good on the tools to say he has not yet finished her 3rd year.He had never done a dropper untill his course. Never strughled, but he will be askes by employers to take the lead with the basic scaffs. Like people say kmowledge is power.

Yeah, pure sh1te too.:laugh:

We are always complaining about poor or insufficient training and now the young team are benefitting from something we never we are still complaining, unbelievable. Maybe it will help put an end to the 2 day safety men telling the scaffs what's what and the balance of power can eventually swing back in the scaffs favour, knowledge is power.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

FFS, that takes the fekin biscuit and says more about you than the funding. You were only saying the other day we are glorified MFI furniture assemblers and now you want the funding and access to training restricted, I really do shak ma fekin heed.

Hang on its you lot in the UK constantly moaning about too many scaffolders, incompetent scaffolders, low prices and low wages. Don't you actually think there is a direct connection between a surplus of workers and low salaries?
I said scaffolding is no more technical than assembling kit furniture unless you are in the designing side of the industry.

Top Bottom