Advanced in 3 yrs??????????

Weaverbix

Reaction score
Just wanted your thoughts.............. on advanced course at the moment and there is a lad who has not even been scaffolding 3 years and is on the the same course. Do you think it is ok to be an advanced scaffolder with such little experience? To lead men and solve there problems.

Not knocking the lad for bettering himself but are the training board at fault for allowing him to take it?

My thoughts exactly john, but watching him on the droppers and turning he not bad. Will grow into a good lad. Like you say tho, toooo short a time.

I can see your concern boys but why the hell shouldn't he? Yes yes, the usual stuff about running a job and running men, but if he is capable to hold the card, good on him. He won't be asked to run a site till he is ready.

I can see your concern boys but why the hell shouldn't he? Yes yes, the usual stuff about running a job and running men, but if he is capable to hold the card, good on him. He won't be asked to run a site till he is ready.

Its ok when all is going good its when things go wrong the poo hits the fan if his is advanced he will lead his gang.

Times are changing KJ, the funding now carries you through to advanced so hopefully the advanced will be the norm.

Yes aom he got funding as he is under24. Thing is there is a lad also taking his part1 there. Paid himself and passed his test yesterday, he hasno site experience at all. Thought you should have 6 months at least. It also took him a full day to build a 2m X 2m tower at 1.9 high. The question I raised was should the training center let these people qualifiy.

Like I said I praise youths today who want to get on and have the balls to take resposibility. Altho he is trained will the buck stop at him as he will be the first to aswer the sh1t? Is he/will he beready to answer all questions when quized. Just think it is a little soon and worry for him.

Yes aom he got funding as he is under24. Thing is there is a lad also taking his part1 there. Paid himself and passed his test yesterday, he hasno site experience at all. Thought you should have 6 months at least. It also took him a full day to build a 2m X 2m tower at 1.9 high. The question I raised was should the training center let these people qualifiy.

Like I said I praise youths today who want to get on and have the balls to take resposibility. Altho he is trained will the buck stop at him as he will be the first to aswer the sh1t? Is he/will he beready to answer all questions when quized. Just think it is a little soon and worry for him.

I must admit, I have seen part 1's with no experience before attend these courses, and to be honest HSWT, speed is a problem and is part of any assessment process. I'm not sure what the answer is but I like you Weaverbix, don't attach any blame to the young team for trying to get ahead. I have started to suspect, employers and agencies should maybe take a look at themselves though.

23 yr old advanced scaff are u on a wind up what would he no seriously

Speed should not be a problem. As long as the work is performed safely and to the required standards its a brave man who will force productivity these days.

come and work for our gaffa haverspanner:laugh: that spanner ante turning he ante earning!!! i agree there shouldnt be a rush but iam afraid with all the regs and safety when a job needs doing it all goes out the window even clients turn there heads when it needs doing!! iam not bothered how olde a scaffolder is to hold a advanced ticket as long as he knows hes stuff but exsperience should be a factor these gold ticket have to much influence these days most lads muck in what ever ticket theve had

Speed should not be a problem. As long as the work is performed safely and to the required standards its a brave man who will force productivity these days.

Well it is and it forms part of the assessment process as I said, all the final assessments have a time limit. To be considered proficient at any task, you have to be able to complete it within agreed time limits and safely, all reasonable requests to ask of a fully trained scaffolder.

Just a thought, when I was a trainee with no knowledge of complex jobs I had time served scaffs telling me how to do hangers ect. Well im glad to say I never had to do complex jobs with these guys. A young lad doing an advanced course can be a good thing. The ticket is only paper but he has been shown the correct way to do the jobs. An employer wont send a guy to do the job if he ain't up to it, so young lads with tickets wont be running the jobs but will have been trained in whats going on.

Exactly Tony. I may have questioned it a few years back since it took me around 15 years or so to get an advanced ticket.

taken me nearly 30 yrs still avent got one 23yr old adv no way

Top Bottom