Step ups

Right then lads

As i have noticed, there is quite a few guys now using the 'Scaffolders step up platform' myself included. However, on reciept of mine, it was a case of "Here this is for you mate". my question is, has anybody ever been given a SSOW by the Manufacturers, and in this day of "you cant do that till you are trained and ticketed", has anybody heard of 'Step up training'?

I would not wear a harness till i was trained, so is this any different ? Perhaps no one will want to put there name to this training, as there is too many risks associated with the 'Step up' ie, STFs, RSI,Manual handling and WAH issues.

Paddy

Lyndon have a video,

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Also palmers got all their Birmingham scaffs done at simian,

using em for benchmark,funnily enough paddy there has never been any safe system of work training given to us or even mooted mate.bench are usualy quite good with their trainning,were the same here it is get up and on with it.

Never mind training you would have thought someone would have produced a risk assesment or method statement for one. Posted two or three weeks ago not seen one yet!!:suspicious:

Never mind training you would have thought someone would have produced a risk assesment or method statement for one. Posted two or three weeks ago not seen one yet!!:suspicious:

I agree mate, however, does the manufacturer not have a 'Duty of care' to attach to their product. Everything you get from foodstuffs to white goods have either a recipe (Method statement) or 'before use instructions' (Method statement) my step up (Jack sh1t) not even SWL stamp, and it is one of the better ones.

The combisafe Scaff step has manufacturers instructions, ram steel has some not as good, that's about it

Paddy & Ragscaff

Could not the SCCR develop RAMS for use of the scaff step? These to be made available to member companies and soul traders for example. Given feedback, could you not also provide additional RAMS and SSOW for other elements of our business activities. SCCR would benefit by standardising work systems to a large part of the industry. Any new equipment brought to the market, could be trailed under the guidance of the SCCR through member companies / traders.

Used the step for the first time today, we found it to be a useful bit of kit despite our reservations. We have the combi-safe with the 3 rung adjustable ladder attached, all the boy's seemed to like it when erecting system but as Paddy mentioned earlier it could be the novelty value. The particular job was a 52m straight level run so we probably will run into more problems as the jobs get a bit more complicated. I'm afraid there was no formal training other than the usual tool box talk to discuss hooking on to the back ledger when on the step and the other usual stuff but to be honest how much training is required for a scaff to use a step ladder? I will be purchasing a few over the coming weeks but before I do I will ask supplier for whatever info he is prepared to issue with these things in regards rams and ssow. All in all, a lot easier and simpler than expected.

I agree mate, however, does the manufacturer not have a 'Duty of care' to attach to their product. Everything you get from foodstuffs to white goods have either a recipe (Method statement) or 'before use instructions' (Method statement) my step up (Jack sh1t) not even SWL stamp, and it is one of the better ones.

This is a quote from the Nasc code of practice.

There is no authority or organisation that licences or approves independent scaffold systems in the UK and it is therefore appropriate that the NASC provides a Code of Practice.

This document has been drafted in response to concerns at the increasing trend towards the manufacturing and importation of products that are visually similar to an original version but may not have been designed and manufactured to the same specification.

It is felt to be an important principle that, where an alternative version of an 'original' system is to be supplied in the UK, it meets certain minimum standards as determined by the NASC and that users of a system are able to make an informed choice between visually similar products.

It is envisaged that this generic document will be adhered to by manufacturers and suppliers of system scaffold in the UK and that in addition each system will be accompanied by a technical data sheet.
LIST OF MEMBERS GIVING APPROVAL

Advanced Scaffold Products Ltd
Beaver 84 Ltd
Cape Industrial Services Ltd
Caspian Access & Plant Hire Ltd
Deborah Services Ltd
Generation Hire and Sale
George Roberts (North West) Ltd
Gilray Plant Ltd

Haki Ltd
Interserve Industrial Services Ltd
Layher Ltd
SGB Services Ltd
Trad Hire and Sales Ltd
Turner Access Ltd
Van Thiel United UK Ltd
A. GENERIC SYSTEM STANDARD

The minimum standards that the NASC will endorse for a System
Scaffold are as follows:

1. DESIGN, MANUFACTURE AND TESTING

The product being supplied will have been designed and tested to the appropriate Standards.

Appropriate Standards include the following:

* Manufactured in accordance with BSEN 12810-1:2003 Part 1 - Product Specifications
* Designed and tested in accordance with BSEN 12810-1:2003. Part 2 - Methods of Structural design
* BSEN 12811-1:2003 - Scaffold performance requirements and General Design
* BSEN 1993-1 (Eurocode 3 Design of steel structures)
* Weld Testing Approval - Undertaken by an accredited testing house.

2. INDEPENDENT TESTING

The testing requirements are as follows:

* Component testing must be undertaken by an accredited independent third party testing house (eg Sandberg LLP) and satisfactory results achieved and documented.
* Key test requirements will include node point fixity & stiffness.

It is the responsibility of the UK supplier to ensure that genuine test certificates are in place for their product and that documentation is available for inspection in the UK.

3. QUALITY OF MANUFACTURE

The manufacturer must be able to demonstrate that they are subject to a formal audit procedure to confirm their viability as a reliable manufacturing centre.

The minimum requirements are that:

* The manufacturer has an auditable quality procedure in place. (eg ISO 9001)

* A Vendor Questionnaire is completed. This consists of a range of questions to ensure that the manufacturer meets the appropriate standard of any reputable supplier.

* Goods inwards quality inspections are made in the UK. This will consist of a robust goods inwards component checking procedure including the filing of controlled inspection sheets.

* Each component has reliable traceability to be able to test the quality of a specific component at any time it is essential that adequate data is recorded on the components. This data will include codes that enable key data to be traced, such as :
- Identity of Manufacturer
- Date of Manufacture
- Batch Number

4. PRODUCT LIABILITY

The UK supplier will be able to demonstrate that they have Product Liability insurance in place to a minimum value of £2m.

5. SYSTEM USER GUIDES

UK Systems must be accompanied by a system specific User Guide.

A User Guide written for a specific manufacturers system will reflect the capabilities and safe use of that product. It will not therefore be appropriate to rely upon a guide that was written for a different system.

Guide content must include:

* Safe methods of use
* Loadings
* Component drawings/descriptions
* Relevant product design information.

Where a particular system scaffold has features that prevent normal Safe Rescue methods from operating then the User Guide must provide details of a practical alternative method.
B. SYSTEM SPECIFIC STANDARD

The UK manufacture/supplier of a scaffold system will provide technical data relating to their own scaffold system. This data will include the following:

1 SUPPLIER DETAILS

Name of Supplier
Name of System

2 DESIGN & TESTING

Testing to BS EN 12810-2:2003 Table 1
BS EN 12810 Compliant
BS EN 12811 Compliant
BS EN 1993-1 Compliant

3 CLASSIFICATION/SYSTEM DETAILS

Classification to:
BS EN 12810:2003 sections 4 & 5
Standard - DIAMETER
Standard - WALL THICKNESS
Standard - STEEL GRADE
Standard - MAXIMUM LEG LOAD
System specific user guide available

4 QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Weld test (for e.g. BS EN ISO 3834-1:2005)
Inspection & Testing Details (for e.g. BS EN 10204:1991)
Auditable quality procedures in place
Vendor questionnaire completed
UK goods inward inspections in place
Product traceability in place

5 PRODUCT LIABILITY

Insurer
Policy Number
Inception Date
Expiration Date
Limit of indemnity

It is the responsibility of each UK manufacturer/supplier to ensure that they can substantiate the specification and capabilities of their scaffold system if required.

I presume that this would apply to the step up as well.

Last edited:
Paddy & Ragscaff

Could not the SCCR develop RAMS for use of the scaff step? These to be made available to member companies and soul traders for example. Given feedback, could you not also provide additional RAMS and SSOW for other elements of our business activities. SCCR would benefit by standardising work systems to a large part of the industry. Any new equipment brought to the market, could be trailed under the guidance of the SCCR through member companies / traders.

Thank you very much neilb for the input. The only problem being. We feel the step up is too small, working off the top handrail is too risky on the knees, with a ladder attachement you are limited to the working hours, plus try getting it round a lift that has braces in it. Hemping is illegal under current hemping regs & lifting regs. If it worked we would back it but it dosn't.

Regards Ragscaff

Top Bottom