Step ups

How about if we could have used a cherry picker to do the job do you think we would be hanging by the betty swollocks clinging to a 2" tube standing on a 9" butt listening to fuds in suits moan about everything we do.:suspicious:

I would think (or at least hope :toung:) in this day and age, that most companies would look at mechanical access for erecting a suspended scaffold and guardrails off steel. However, it's always going to come down to a particular HSE inspector and their view of 'reasonably practicable'.

What if a job requires a large cherry picker at an expensive weekly hire rate, and also lots of compacted hardcore to drive it on - is it 'reasonably practicable' to do this for safety's sake when the cost far outweighs a couple of scaffolders swinging by their testicles ?!?

good question mate,but arnt cherry pickers strictly for a man and his tools?a mate of mine fell off one with a long which he had taken up on the machine.bad leg break later he took the company to court won thousands,could anybody clear the legalities of these machines up please.as he said in no way should he have had material in the ryder with him at any stage of the job?????????thanks

i dont mind hights but these machines are awful its like surfing on jelly takes ages to get used to them always feels like the bloody things gana tip over rather hang over the side
of a building than go up in one.

good question mate,but arnt cherry pickers strictly for a man and his tools?a mate of mine fell off one with a long which he had taken up on the machine.bad leg break later he took the company to court won thousands,could anybody clear the legalities of these machines up please.as he said in no way should he have had material in the ryder with him at any stage of the job?????????thanks

Surely if he was trained to use the cherry picker he should have known about carry materials:unsure:

sgb sent him on the course i belive,so id say he was adequatley trainned ian,are these pickers not only to deliver an operative to a scene,or to only take an operative to assess work???what dose the safe system of work say that governs these machines with the smaller capacities that we all see being used day in day out?are scaffs breaking the law using cherry pickers that do not provide the needed capacity??could someone clear this up maybe,thanks.

Surely if he was trained to use the cherry picker he should have known about carry materials:unsure:

Passed my IPAF course last week been told NO materials at all man and tools only , they class a bucket of bolts / tin of paint as tools which sounds right but taking long up in them is a no no

i no one thing a person on the floor how is in the area must no how to get the machine down in a emergency so are they ipaf trained too answer probably not. i no people how have passed test got certificate and ante got a clue how to switch it on let a lone drive it. another course how dont care once you leave the premises and have payed.

thanks guys as a thought,some intresting points dico.so the boys out doing those handrails could beon to plums if an accident occurs,their companys have got to know what they are doing is wrong.or is it penny pinching,so that they dont want to pay to hire the correct platform?

same olde story celticbhoy no one cares untill an accident happens. as redviking says man and tools only. so really what use are they only to take away work from the scaffolders.

Always been told you cannot carry tube up on a cherry picker.

Most handrails I have done you could not get a scissor lift to do the job. We are allowed to just get on with it regardless. Last one I did for Keirs they were contesting the wearing of harnesses in them. If it goes over then why attach tio it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

theres a certain level of obscurity about these machines isnt there,i dont think id like to be harnessed into one lol.

So I take it were back to the 9" butt.:cool:

Always been told you cannot carry tube up on a cherry picker.

Most handrails I have done you could not get a scissor lift to do the job. We are allowed to just get on with it regardless. Last one I did for Keirs they were contesting the wearing of harnesses in them. If it goes over then why attach tio it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I did the IPAF course the other week the instructor told us the cherry pickers are very hard to tip over hope this link helps .

IPAF | English | Resources | Clunk Click Campaign

Not when you've got 12 x 21' s 8 6 fts sks doubles etc at full extension it a'nt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just did my ipaf course and was told you needed the harness in a cherry picker because of the bounce on the arm when fully extended . which is why you dont need one in a scissor lift . also it must be a short restraint lanyard , i v had a dont walk by card put in for using a regular harness . i was also told you could take materials in as long as you dont exceed the maximum weight .

I, along with most on this site can remember a time when we would walk open steel to install edge protection. Having been informed that was no longer viewed as acceptable. I have always looked to use a scissor lift, that even the longest tube will fit inside the platform, a 92/50 for example, extended platform size 7.20m x 2.40m, just makes things easier. Some Contractors will do their best to get the ground conditions sorted, others will not.

Top Bottom