Step ups

TomP

Reaction score
Ok i posted on here the other day that Bramalls are making it compulsory to use the step ups or advanced guard rail on their sites from now. I wasnt impressed!

Well we got the step up which is a little wooden platform that goes on the handrail with a spur down to the standard to support. i tried it out and to be fair its not as bad as i perceived, once use to it it doesnt take that much time, so if your gang is on it it shouldnt be much of a problem, its a slight change in the way you work.

Its just the corners thats a ball ache!!!:evil:

Ok i posted on here the other day that Bramalls are making it compulsory to use the step ups or advanced guard rail on their sites from now. I wasnt impressed!

Well we got the step up which is a little wooden platform that goes on the handrail with a spur down to the standard to support. i tried it out and to be fair its not as bad as i perceived, once use to it it doesnt take that much time, so if your gang is on it it shouldnt be much of a problem, its a slight change in the way you work.

Its just the corners thats a ball ache!!!:evil:

You need the MK2 safety step then mate.

The step up is twatful, i have used it for the last 6 mths or so. I am on price.

At first it was a bit of a novelety, using the step up with the 2 rung ladder attached, finding the ins and outs of things, like having to drop in temporary puncheons or carrying a butt with a double attached in the middle for corners etc. Excessive reaching and stretching, fall hazard of person or materials, balanced on a Tea tray.

We conducted a research at work, which i was saving for the SCCR, however, our results show that on 2 standard lifts, one using 'Traverse and Tunnelling' and the other 'Step-up' with multiple returns and corners/off shots, we were saving 2 hrs per lift, doing SG4:05 as against the 'Step-up' which will be included within SG4:10.

At the end of the day guys, 'Keep Safe', however, 'Keep your family with a loaf of bread'.

Get ready for the new termonology, you will be hearing in the next few weeks "scaffolders safety zone"

Get ready for the new termonology, you will be hearing in the next few weeks "scaffolders safety zone"

My 'Scaffolders safety zone' is sitting having a meal and drink with my Grandkids and my offspring, after a days graft complying to SG4:05. not that,that is the 'Dogs dangly bits' However, is SG4:10 not a 'Step too much (pun intended):mad:

My 'Scaffolders safety zone' is sitting having a meal and drink with my Grandkids and my offspring, after a days graft complying to SG4:05. not that,that is the 'Dogs dangly bits' However, is SG4:10 not a 'Step too much (pun intended):mad:

Well in my opinion we'll be seeing a lot more manual handling injuries

Ian its not a scaffolders 1m safety zone is it?

or do i need to carry a parachute, a hi vis vest that has built in front, side and rear airbags or is it a health and safety panic alarm that goes off when one of them is within 2 mile of my scaffold?!!

Funny you say that Ian, I was at a safety meeting on Thursday and heard scaffolders safety zone mentioned about a hundred times, but as Paddy said my safety zone is in the 19th.

I did come home with 1 step to try out, the one with the ladder attached, combi-safe I think. I can see it working for the system but can't get my head around hemping a paddy behind a handrail, it should be interesting to see how it works in our squad as I think we are all going to have to use something in the not too distant future.

you have arms bigger than popeye after a week aom belive me lol,funnily enough tou get used to it.its when you start hemping on the stair thats a pain.

Hemping has always been the big issue with using step ups in my opinion.

Weve been using the step ups on a limited basis for about a year now. Company policy is now no 21' hemps.
Im so glad Im not on the tools anymore, but the feedback I get from the lads is mixed regarding step ups, some like em, some dont.
I get what everyone says about them, to be honest I just dont get how you are supposed to hemp safely anything over a 13', which surely makes for a weaker structure.

Opinions?

fix your handraill to every other standard and top off when the lifts boarded . what iv been finding best is to just sit the tube in 2 doubles at roughly the right height and sort it out when you get up rather than stetching off the step

The step up system has not hit New Zealand yet but what ever the Uk do then New Zealand wont be far behind ,

Hemping has always been the big issue with using step ups in my opinion.

Weve been using the step ups on a limited basis for about a year now. Company policy is now no 21' hemps.
Im so glad Im not on the tools anymore, but the feedback I get from the lads is mixed regarding step ups, some like em, some dont.
I get what everyone says about them, to be honest I just dont get how you are supposed to hemp safely anything over a 13', which surely makes for a weaker structure.

Opinions?

I thought it was more mandatory that there was no 21' used for standards now, only in the use of handrail, we havent been using nothing bigger that a 16' for a good few years now.
Remember when i had to take a cutter to a load of packs of 21's and cut 5' off them. This is in the Industrial sector,
Dont know if having a load more sleeves in the job will weaken the scaffold, but i did wonder why we were not allowed to use spigots for hemping anymore, only handrail, or would this be more a company policy i wonder.
Chris Eng should be able to answer about the weakening of the scaffold, end up having to splice the joints more, more work.:eek:

try the scaffold step from george roberts sales they are £90 plus vat and spot on they were designed to be used with easyfix and can be used on corners ,are light enough and you can hook em on to the lift until ya need em again.. the wood steptype it was wat we called the lyndon step and was that good lyndon dont even use it anymore

I thought it was more mandatory that there was no 21' used for standards now, only in the use of handrail, we havent been using nothing bigger that a 16' for a good few years now.
Remember when i had to take a cutter to a load of packs of 21's and cut 5' off them. This is in the Industrial sector,
Dont know if having a load more sleeves in the job will weaken the scaffold, but i did wonder why we were not allowed to use spigots for hemping anymore, only handrail, or would this be more a company policy i wonder.
Chris Eng should be able to answer about the weakening of the scaffold, end up having to splice the joints more, more work.:eek:

21's are not banned its just companies that decide it like Shell Oil years ago. Spigots should only be put in toppers and not ledgers, if i was splitting hairs not that i have many to spilt now a handrail could be classed as a supplementary ledger.

the steps here to stay chaps am afraid,what can they possibly think of next???cherry pickers????????.oh our long come brand shiney new in packs of 33 craned up all day and hemped.phew ban em lol.

Hemping a paddy over the hand rail must be a bitch though is it not? Even when using system a 3m std topped off with 3 lugs showing is going to have you on your tip toes all day. Your right though celticbhoy the step is here to stay and the sooner we get used to them the better I suppose.

the steps here to stay chaps am afraid,what can they possibly think of next???cherry pickers????????.oh our long come brand shiney new in packs of 33 craned up all day and hemped.phew ban em lol.

HSE have already had that idea apparently, but advanced guardrail methods seem to have won them over for most scaffolds. However, someone best have a good excuse for erecting a suspended scaffold by clinging to a dropper tube if a cherry picker could have been used (not applicable to offshore work for obvious reasons :laugh:)

How about if we could have used a cherry picker to do the job do you think we would be hanging by the betty swollocks clinging to a 2" tube standing on a 9" butt listening to fuds in suits moan about everything we do.:suspicious:

Top Bottom