**hilti drill replaces the spanner**

hilti is coming to 1 of my sites tomorrow they've told the lads it will cost £3 a week and if it goes bang they replace it. only downfall you have to pay £70 deposit to start with. i think i might turn up and baffle him with some info.lol

I can see the benefits of them and i am tempted...........

only thing is i love my spanner ha ha ha!

In all fairness i think it is only a matter of time till one is specifically designed for scaffold (Torque values etc) and then the new breed of scaffolder will be using them as all the old school scaffs retire.

hilti is coming to 1 of my sites tomorrow they've told the lads it will cost £3 a week and if it goes bang they replace it. only downfall you have to pay £70 deposit to start with. i think i might turn up and baffle him with some info.lol

Nice but dont like the idea of £1000 deposit for 14 drills

If the battery last 3 hours thats a day in my blokes books

Lads the drills r the dogs bollox. fast,safe and legal. not to mention alot of jealousy among the old boys who get left behind swingin there spanners fightin a losing battle tryin to keep up LOL. how many times ive herd them say ''f=@?!$n hell u got that job up already'' lol. i remember first startin this trade scaffs used to boast about their multibox spanners and titanium etc, now i wonder if well c a titanium hilti drill........?

Gents.
I had the rep from hilti on site yesterday. I give 3 scaffolders 1/2 hour each. Each had a moan about it replacing the spanner, after the chance to use them they all want one. The Hilti rep left one with us until monday.
After being a scaffolder for many years before moving into the office i had a go myself and can see the the scaffolding industry going in this direction.
The question is how many company's will pay for them ? because like everything in this game the firms will hold out as long as they can to avoid the spending. My opinion is that anything that makes scaffolding easier and safer is good for the men.

Max

I concur with all points made, there is a New Generation Powered Spanner on the Horizon---the question is how can the Scaffolding Organisations NOT afford to use them---once the Fit for Purpose Powered Spanner is commissioned for service and it's attributes are recognized the Scaffolding Organisations will be obliged to use it.

The New Generation Powered Spanner will be B.S. 1139 Compliant, therefore, delivering a Quality Assured Scaffold Structure, the Manually Operated Scaffold Spanner will be consigned to History as was hemp rope lashings and chain fixings.

Garry...

Gary, how far away are we from this new generation spanner? Don't want to invest in anything only for it to be improved 6 weeks later.

Not for me, to big and heavy to be carrying around with you all day! Funny enough i was in the Reading area recently pricing a job and stopped to watch a gang of scaffolders with these small Hilti drills. I was quite amazed to be honest as we spoke about this years ago among ourselves, however i watched for a while the charge-hand seemed quite capable with it however it did seem to struggle loosening some of the fittings. I would presume that it was erected with the method, also the fixer couldn't wait to put it down. He had a holster for it but the way it swung about when he walked would drive me insane.
Plus has anyone took into consideration the noise from this, i would presume that you would also so need ear defenders if you were working with this for any length of time.

Gary.
Have you got any details about the new spanner before my men buy this new hilti.
Thanks.
MAX.

grenrose

Control Measures to mitigate against noise levels---good point.

The Time Weighed Average of exposure to db levels would be a consideration, however, Noise Suppression Controls may have to include ear defenders.

Garry...

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Max

The Main Manufacturers are very keen to work with the Scaffolders to create a fit for purpose Powered Scaffolding Spanner, however, they recognize that the Impact Wrenches that are available now were never intended for the Scaffolding Industry---nevertheless, they are now looking at Researching and Developing a New Generation Powered Scaffolding Spanner which will be fit for purpose.

Because the Manufacturers want to get the Spanner to work at its optimum, the on the shelf version will take time to Engineer and Design, the availability of the Spanner will depend on which Manufacturer can get it on the shelfs first and given that there may be an extremely large Market for them I'd say ASAP.:eek:

Garry...

Top Bottom