years of graft

Used to work with Ricky in Bolton his nickname was DAD as he was the oldest, still on tools at 65 I had much respect for him and sadly he passed Last year. Allways had a few good stories and made me laugh when I asked him who makes his butties for him and his reply was his DAD.

you gotta be talking about Ricky Warlow, i worked with him about 11 years ago! do you know he never smoked till he was about 44 - but hell did he make up for it! RIP:sad:

you gotta be talking about Ricky Warlow, i worked with him about 11 years ago! do you know he never smoked till he was about 44 - but hell did he make up for it! RIP:sad:
these real men were built to last

Yep Ricky Warlow. Worked with him 2007 he was good grafter put a lot of younger lads to shame.
Hasta luigo as he used to say RIP Ricky

Last edited:
There used to be a retired Scaff in the Toon called, Tommy Cooper, ive heard that at 72, he was still doing Front and backs a couple of days a week, for his Beer Money, i would imagine the guy has passed on now.

Before you's start !!!!!!..... No Tommy Cooper gags:notrust:

steve myers was the legend for me. He was on palmers for years and for what he didnt know was'nt worth knowing. Incredible man

Every company needs a mixture of youth and experience.
One of the main problems now is that a lot of the young bucks have very little respect for the old hands and think they know it all as soon as they strap a toolbelt on.
i think its easy to say the young lads nowadays etc but for the 20 years iv been doing the job, it hasnt really been much different in my opinion, as a youngster you do think you know it all, looking back i probably did!! i blame the parents me:cheesy:

ive got 23 years in as scaff,its certanly took its tole on me,backs fekt,nees fekt,joints fekt.but i love the job,have slowed down in past few years,but will still like to pass 21ft old style ladderbeam up to the young uns of today.they have no respect at all for anyone,or anything,all attitude,no action.theres a few i would like to get hold of on a dark night,then will see whos old.:bigsmile:

After 23 years I have to admit to sitting here aching all over, especially the wrist and hands. The young team can't touch me yet but I have to put a lot more effort into now than even a couple of years ago. I used to wonder when working with older guy's what would come first, the aches and pains or the belly, now I know it's both at the same time.:eek:

It is amazing how this job can slow you down the older you get, but then most games aint as hard as scaffolding so there is a bloody good reason

i find the older you get the wiser you get as well , whist the young guns tear around like lunatics your experience will make up for strength and energy , how many times you see it ,
they put the wrong thing in only to have to change it , always taught by the old lads " do it once and do it right" and "complete as you go along" when i get to the top iam finished :)

Roy middleton from chester le street is about 80yrs old and is still putting up back an fronts 5 days a week he has 2 pick ups and 2 or 3 younger lads working with him, he reguarly gets peed off with them and sends them home an finishes jobs himself :laugh:

reguarly you hear people talking about him an how he out performs the youngsters, he is a legend around here , one of them people who you can instantly name from the vaguest of descriptions :D

Roy middleton from chester le street is about 80yrs old and is still putting up back an fronts 5 days a week he has 2 pick ups and 2 or 3 younger lads working with him, he reguarly gets peed off with them and sends them home an finishes jobs himself :laugh:

reguarly you hear people talking about him an how he out performs the youngsters, he is a legend around here , one of them people who you can instantly name from the vaguest of descriptions :D

dont know him personally, but like you said legend in the north east and i often see his pick up knocking about. unbelievable,
i heard he was 90:)

Stuart Wink

hi lads im looking for work abroad any help? im from yorkshire but down on a site in newhaven atm but really want something that pays more for travelling any one got any contacts woud be very grateful cheers

JakDan he definately not 90, im sure he is around the 80 yr mark, ive known him bout 18 yr, he did his pilots license at 60yr old sometimes he would fly over my house sometimes, i didnt actually see the plane he showed me his flight maps an stuff one day when i called in to see him and one of his routes took him straight over where i lived lol

although i never been to a pub with him , they reckon he a major hit with the ladies and he drives around town in a MG convertible :laugh:

Couldnt agree with you more jakdan.I am 52 and boy does my shoulders pain me.Remember doing a job once and was a ladder short to finish it,but had a 21ft ladder beam left over.It was the first and last time I used a ladder beam as a means of access,but it was a case of needs must.No wonder the shoulders are fucked

You cant be doing things like that at your age scafftag:laugh:

I was fortunate enough to get off the tools by the age of 28...had done a dozen years in the game at that stage, one of the biggest motivations for getting into the management side was looking at the Senior lads who had steered me through the game and through no fault of their own were just about knackered through years of hard graft...I'm going to name a few of the Nottingham Legends below who I had the great pleasure of working with:

Lol Elliott

Steady pace all day long, boy could he knock some work up and a real nice bloke to boot, a real gent.

George Wright...R.I.P.
The most principalled man I have ever known, rare in this game but during my time with him learned something new everyday, sorely missed.

Dennis "Turbo" Turvill
I never actually worked along side Dennis but I would put a bit of "brawn" with him to do the humping, mixed with his "brain" and the jobs would run sweetly, did fantastically well for a man would couldnt read and write. Used to have to have a word with him every now and then about putting too much gear in!!

Harry "The Bsatard" Bishton
The name says it all really, and yes he could be, but most of the time he was brilliant to work with.

Tony Quinney
One of the funniest men I have ever had the pleasure to work with, always laughing and joking, never a dull moment with Quinney!!

And last but by no mean least....Keith Humber!!
Was a siht scaffolder!! every word out of his mouth (well mostly) was complete bollcoks but fcuk he made the day go fast!! Used to genuinly look forward to working with Keith just for the utter sh*te that came out of his trap..And the piss taking that we could inflict on him!!

All the above are Legends...and as for giving them any lip (Apart from Keith) as a young lad...well if you did they would just fcuk you off, if you ended up back at the yard then you could expect a bollocking from your Supervisor as well!!:D

Oh happy days!!;)

Last edited:
magic post mate,sounds as if you had and still have loads of respect for those guys.goodwork fella.

magic post mate,sounds as if you had and still have loads of respect for those guys.goodwork fella.

Thanks a lot mate, and yes I had and still do have masses of respect for those mention and a fair few more, they earned my utmost respect for deeds done and their never ceasing ability to pass on the tricks of the trade etc to those who would simply listen...simple as that really.

Top Bottom