years of graft

hemper

Reaction score
i have been out on the tools with my uncle since i started scaffolding and just recently i have begun to notice how shattered and tired he is from all the years of hard work. it kinda feels weird but i see the bloke who taught me all i know slowly but surely giving in and you cant help but feel for him poor old git. is it just me or do other people notice bloody good scaffolders that have just had enough and kinda feel sorry for them

We always used to look after the old boys years ago hemper. Get them doing the handrail etc.
I doubt if the young boys do the same now????
young boys nowadays are scaffolders the minute they get a tool belt. How times have changed

i have seen this happen many times mate, and now "iam becoming that soldier" scaffolding is such a hard game, it really puts years on you and you cant help but notice yourself slowing down :(

These fellas are still the lifeblood of our industry,what cant be learned of these lads isnt worth knowing concerning our job,be great if a provision was made to get the older lads on the training side in some centres,experience cant be taught....

i make you right there mate. I have only endured 14 years and that in itself is taking its toll. Im amazed how my uncle has survived for 35 years

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

These fellas are still the lifeblood of our industry,what cant be learned of these lads isnt worth knowing concerning our job,be great if a provision was made to get the older lads on the training side in some centres,experience cant be taught....
well said daz. As im always told you cant put a price on experience and yeh getting the old school boys to get into the training side of things would be really interesting, then see how many tickets get issued

there is a lot of us still about Hemper , i have done 31 yeas and my dad retired this year and still comes out with me for the odd shift

there is a lot of us still about Hemper , i have done 31 yeas and my dad retired this year and still comes out with me for the odd shift
good luck to him mate, just goes to show they may be old and slowing down and yet the young lads of today dont realise how much easier they have it

so true mate , especially when it comes to using Ali beams instead of ladder beams or unit beams :)

so true mate , especially when it comes to using Ali beams instead of ladder beams or unit beams :)
the very first temp roof i worked on with my uncle was done with unit beams and jesus christ it killed me. Yet all the boys were up there pulling them about and bolting them together and at the time i remember thinking to myself how the hell do you hold all that weight and still work.

dont forget some of these young guys wont retire until 70 they will feel it by then

what do people think about using the hiltis .does that mean men will be using much more material, if they are doing fitting up twice as fast ?

hahaha i always preferred unit beams to ladder beams man them 21 foot ladder beams where gut wrenching

good point timthumb

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

hahaha i always preferred unit beams to ladder beams man them 21 foot ladder beams where gut wrenching
i have had the pleasure of 21ft ladder beams but luckily enough only in gantries 20ft off the floor if not lower thank god. Bloody things

Used to work with Ricky in Bolton his nickname was DAD as he was the oldest, still on tools at 65 I had much respect for him and sadly he passed Last year. Allways had a few good stories and made me laugh when I asked him who makes his butties for him and his reply was his DAD.

Used to work with Ricky in Bolton his nickname was DAD as he was the oldest, still on tools at 65 I had much respect for him and sadly he passed Last year. Allways had a few good stories and made me laugh when I asked him who makes his butties for him and his reply was his DAD.
cant beat the old school boys. i admire them for the persistence to stay in the game and respect them for their knowledge

Every company needs a mixture of youth and experience.
One of the main problems now is that a lot of the young bucks have very little respect for the old hands and think they know it all as soon as they strap a toolbelt on.

you have got to take your hat off to every one of them, i'm 42 and fukced through it, got off the spanners at 36, 6 years riding around admiring them OLD scaffs, now it looks like its time to go back on them (times are hard)
not looking forward to being one of those SOLDIERS again,
newcastle and leeds railway stations over 150 towers with 21' ladder beams as standards, bridged with 1000's of units, then 21' ladder beam puncheons, nightmare and just about done me. we were over the moon to see haki beams being bought, albeit 15 years to late. fuuuukin hate this game

One of the main problems now is that a lot of the young bucks have very little respect for the old hands and think they know it all as soon as they strap a toolbelt on.
well said,ur spot on there.

that is why it takes so long to train these young lads no respect and to be honest very little interest. Its just beer money for them

Top Bottom