Women Scaffolders - Is there a place for them...?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

Ive worked with hundreds, maybe thousands of Scaffolders over the years, from all places.
From Germans to Aussies, all faiths from Muslims to Catholics, all backgrounds from quiet villages to slummy council estates, all sizes from big hulking monsters to skinny little blokes, skin colour, and even sexuality (only guessing that one, lol).
All kinds.

But ive only ever worked with 1 Woman and seen another, when i did some training in 2008.
Ive heard of a few more, from years ago and they were more 'manly' then the blokes they worked with... maybe they had to be ultra loud and aggressive to be accepted, who knows.

Id like to post an honest question to the forum.

• What do you think of Women Scaffolders?
  • Is there a place for them in the trade?
  • How hard would you think they would have it?
  • Would they be treated fairly and equally or would they be laughed at?
  • Would they be constantly harassed - Sexually, physically or mentally?
  • Would you be happy to work with them?

What do you think?

I for one, while it dont bother me, nor would i give Women Scaffolders a hard time (more then likely, id try to give them an easier time as possible, trying to be a gentlemen and save them a broken back).
I dont think that id like my missus doing this job.
Mainly due to how she might be treated and the FACT that a Womans body is not designed for the huge physical demand that is placed on a normal Scaffolder - Or a mans body for that matter.
Woman aint built to carry out too much manual labour.

Is there more a place for them, seeing as now in a more Health and Safety enviroment, things are apparently 'easier', then years ago?
(Please before anyone complains, this is NOT a sexist thing, im just curious to how others think).

What do you guys think and why?

Never worked with 1 and never seen one J mate.
I remember asking the instructors at college if they had ever had a lass as there were a couple on the cecol construction course.
We were told never a cecol girl there but was 1 came to do her part 1 & 2 at some point beforehand but she was built like a brickshithouse. As you say, more manly than a man ! lol.
I should think 99% wouldn't be suited, and let's face it, it's a mans game and I should think most blokes wouldnt want them there (would maybe feel they have to curb they're language etc). Personally I wouldn't have a problem. If they can do the job fair play. I certainly wouldn't give 1 a hard time but I would expect them to do the job and defo wouldn't bust my arse for one or carry them

I personally never thought there would be a place in our industry for the fairer sex working on the front line however my opinions have changed. I have yet to encounter a female scaff yet I'd much prefer to work alongside a big strapping lass who was prepared to roll her sleeves up and do a days graft than some of the work shy metro sexual posers (Hollywood Scaffs) I regularly see on my travels !

But as a word of caution I would like to end this post with a quote from Socrates ( the Greek Philosopher as opposed to the Brazilian soccer legend)

“Once made equal to man, woman becomes his superior.”

there is a couple on hear, i thick if they want to come in to the game then good for them there was a firm in norfolk run by 2 females not bad scaff to.

I know a woman scaff but she works doing the old cuplock scaffold. Cant imagine many grafting on the old tube n fitting especially being middle man on a big job or topping out 21. God its hard work for us blokes at times but good luck to any ladies out there doing it.

frank georges daughter done a bit at tilbury powerstation taggin ectra not sure if shes there now thou!!!!

EZEE scaff had a Lass on for them, completed all her training, there was a feature on her in the SUN newspaper, dont know if she is still there though.

What do you think of Women Scaffolders?
Is there a place for them in the trade?
How hard would you think they would have it?
Would they be treated fairly and equally or would they be laughed at?
Would they be constantly harassed - Sexually, physically or mentally?
Would you be happy to work with them?

I have met a few women doing men's jobs and it's usually the younger ones full of determination doing the job better than the blokes. Whether they have a place in the industry depends on the individual, and I have met a few who could hemp a paddy with their teeth. I think they would be a novelty to start with but it would soon wear thin and would soon know what it's all about should they fail to do their fare share. Even in the construction industry times have moved on, harassment or bullying would and should not be tolerated(unless it's the Labrador). I think most scaffs would welcome them as long as they could do the job as well as a male of equal experience, but woe betide them should they fall short on any task. I would be happy to work with a female but it would be a nightmare if she turned out better than me, and as stated earlier I would hate my Mrs to be out on a site instead of the office.

I told wor lass she would get the piss ripped out of her for going to work like that. Only system scaffs carry hammers.:D
womenconstructionworker.jpg

Tell her to start in the morning Paddy.

Tell her to start in the morning Paddy.

Alastair mate, i am not stupid pal, you only want her for 1 thing..........Cheap labour, it is a Bank holiday in England tomorrow. Anyway she has a load of washing and ironing to do, and if it stays dry she can tidy up the Garden.:huh:

Some have the holiday up here as well Paddy, but unfortunately not the scaffs. Should you need someone to mow yer lawn I could half shift it and be there around 3.:embarrest:

I have worked with a woman Scaff.
She was on the east London line for benchmark,
I forget her name at the moment,
she was from Spain,
and she could do her bit,
let's put it that way,
many many lads came and went on that job,
and she out lasted them all.

Aye aye aye, but did you cope her in the fittings shed?:idea:

Anytime before Wed Alastair, as i am going Camping to Budle bay again with the Bairn, er indoors left again with her 'Devil dog' so dont put yer feet up on my deckchair Pal.:D

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

"She was from Spain and could do her bit":eek::love:

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

"many many lads came and went on that job":love:

Mon the scaffs, they do get about a bit.:D

Top Bottom