Which Union?

good point made hswt,im a believer that its healthy for a thread to off in diffrent directions aswell though even if it is only for arguments sake

I used to like threads veering off at a tangent jiggaman. Unfortunately these days they just head either in the direction of a low lying, marshy place on the east coast of England or a sandy, deserty place in the north of Africa.

Do you think unions have grown too big and taken in too many different occupations to be fully competent in understanding a professions needs and worries?

The RMT incorporated the OILC (The Offshore Industry Liaison Committee (OILC) was a trade union set up in the United Kingdom in response to the deaths of 167 workers on the Piper Alpha). Until recently it was still the OILC, offshore energy branch of RMT. However, it's now sort of been absorbed into the RMT (although it's ethos is still to look after the offshore industry workers. I've met the man in Aberdeen and he totally cares about his sector and members.)

Trouble is with RMT is it's all about railworkers it seems.

UNITE and UCATT are just massive too.

I realise that a united front with clout is going to be in members interests, but it does seem to be the high profile, high impact actions that get concentrated on, not the plight of the scaffolder (for example).

Good point Rosie but isn't trade union all about strength through numbers? In Australia trades unions with less than 1,000 members have to prove that their existence is of benefit to the members. I wonder how many members of the NUM there are today?

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Common misconception Phil, people in those areas just like to dress up like Miners, although why you would need a headlamp in the desert or aloft the tallest staircase in the world its beyond me.

Off topic I know but it is patently obvious that you have never ventured into the desert regions in search of lucrative tax free work and wages dangerus.
If you had done you would know that a headlamp on your helmet is an essential piece of kit when searching for an attractive camel late at night. if you don't believe me ask Stella. HappyH or Garry Adams.

Good point Rosie but isn't trade union all about strength through numbers? In Australia trades unions with less than 1,000 members have to prove that their existence is of benefit to the members. I wonder how many members of the NUM there are today?

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Off topic I know but it is patently obvious that you have never ventured into the desert regions in search of lucrative tax free work and wages dangerus.
If you had done you would know that a headlamp on your helmet is an essential piece of kit when searching for an attractive camel late at night. if you don't believe me ask Stella. HappyH or Garry Adams.
Funny you should mention that. My brother works in Kurdistan for an oil company. He's back on leave at the moment and working for me, I wondered why he had a head lamp in his tool bag ?

Funny you should mention that. My brother works in Kurdistan for an oil company. He's back on leave at the moment and working for me, I wondered why he had a head lamp in his tool bag ?

Working on leave when working overseas for an oil company? Is he needy or greedy? Does he go up the dogs on a Tuesday? Doing an unemployed scaffolder out of work cant see the unions being happy.:mad::mad:

He's been out there and Iraq for about 15 years, Canada before that. He's home for three months while the Canadian company he works for re locate ,so he works for me as he's also a qualified scaff. Suits him , suits me + his wife gets onto him if he's at home, nobody likes that !!

He's been out there and Iraq for about 15 years, Canada before that. He's home for three months while the Canadian company he works for re locate ,so he works for me as he's also a qualified scaff. Suits him , suits me + his wife gets onto him if he's at home, nobody likes that !!

Ok mate. Will put that down as a nibble rather than a full on bite.;)

What A Lot Of Pish, Iv Been A Member Of Ucatt For Thirty Odd Years, And Being 100% Honest They Have Never Done Me A Bad Deal, Without Trade Unions There Wopuld Be No Holiday Pay , Sick Pay Or Health And Safety Legislation And For Scaffolders To Say Anything Else Really Pisses Me Off, To Think That Men Who Do The Same Job As Me Think Like That Says It All About The North South Divide, Being A Member Of A Trade Union Means That You Think About Others Not Just Yourself Its About Caring About Your And Others Conditions, Its Not About Going Out On Strike (I Have Never Ever Thought About Going Out On Strike) But I Would Never Cross Any Picket Line Either. So Its Agree To Disagree Folks Because I Will Never Be Persuaded Otherwise.

Yeah the unions don't give a **** about our conditions they've recently signed off on men of all trades loosing a morning break on various sites. I've stood on picket lines for other trades loosing there jobs to foreign labour that didn't directly effect my trade! The unions only made an appearence once the national media turned up. There is no North south divide that's a narrow minded view, Grangemouth supported us during that action as well as sites across the country us the men saved there jobs and we fight for our rights & conditions not them. Our working rights and condition are being eroded everything the generations before fought for is being taken away. Your loyal to a union who isn't loyal to you. I'm still a member of Amicus and have been since I was 17 although I have no faith in them, but if there is going to be action I want my right to vote for or against.

Last edited:
Yeah the unions don't give a **** about our conditions they've recently signed off on men of all trades loosing a morning break on various sites. I've stood on picket lines for other trades loosing there jobs to forign labour that didn't directly effect my trade! The unions only made an appearence once the national media turned up. There is no North south divide that's a narrow minded view, Grangemouth supported us during that action as well as sites across the country us the men saved there jobs and we fight for our rights & conditions not them. Our working rights and condition are being eroded everything the generations before thought for is being taken away. Your loyal to a union who isn't loyal to you. I'm still a member of Amicus and have been since I was 17 although I have no faith in them, but if there is going to be action I want my right to vote for or against.

well said that man. goes back to not so long ago on bg striek britsh job for british workers. 1 local rep shouted english jobs for english people. que a big jock british jobs for british workers lol. but yeah stand together .saftey in numbers.

ow yeah 30 years to the day the first mines whent on strike over closures

Top Bottom