Which Union?

I've been a member of ucatt for about ten years as a whole company of scaffs about 8 years ago they looked after us when it came to a court case so always stuck with them

dangeruss,not sure what the point in slagging someone off because they are a "jr member"and how little posts they have or have not made,didnt think the forum was about that but maybe i was wrong,if you disagree with britscaff just say so dont get all bitchy about his posts you just sounded childish mate
Maybe you didn't read the whole thread jiggaman, you'll notice I didn't slag anybody off until they called me a halfwit and a wan£er. I don't like unions because they have never supported me. If other members want to belong to a union that's their prerogative, if they want to pay subs to keep a rep in a job , good for them. Its not for me that's all, last time I checked we lived in a democracy and your not Jimmy Hoffa, you may need to google who that is.

i appreciate your view mate its all about opinions,just cant accept being called a scab for not being in the union.im up the shetland gas plant at the moment and i can tell you that the union lost a hell of alot of members after a supposed strike never went ahead regarding getting a daily amount of money for sharing a room,in fact the majority of guys i spoke to where livid with them and ive heard alot more bad than good about them so not for me

each to there own marra opinions are opinions no right or rong i jusy look at it as i have said about foreigners getting benefits and not paying in. just dosent seem right i pay in to the unions and am not on a job that pays 100's and doubt i will use the union on the street but i will have paid in by the time i come to get the bennifits of the jobs that pay the lodge and the blue book rate

Being in a union won't get you on them jobs pal. Knowing someone or having a relative will though

Unite didn't exactly help the ECITB scaffs either, in fact they put a lot of them on the dole.

They'll only help when it's in their own interest.
Unions only ever fight a cause they know they'll win or they'll loose face and nobody will subscribe. Why are unions far more prevalent in the North than in the South ? I'm glad you've never had to go on strike Gerscaff, personally if a company I worked for put me into a position that I needed to strike I'd quit and go and work for a proper company that respected your rights and ability.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Being in a union won't get you on them jobs pal. Knowing someone or having a relative will though
Bang on

Unions only ever fight a cause they know they'll win or they'll loose face and nobody will subscribe. Why are unions far more prevalent in the North than in the South ? I'm glad you've never had to go on strike Gerscaff, personally if a company I worked for put me into a position that I needed to strike I'd quit and go and work for a proper company that respected your rights and ability.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Bang on

ture marra ture but have a second and think why your rights are there here are a few to ponder over

Two-day weekends
Eight-hour working days
Maternity leave
Retirement ages
Occupational health and safety
Workplace pensions
Paid holidays
Equality laws
The right not to be sacked because you got married, had a baby, or became ill (strange how they're seen as similar things)
Pay increases
The minimum wage

made the 1's that i enjoy or liek to think are better thna the others

not sure if youve read any of my posts bit im against the union aswell smart arsse
I didn't call you a W*****s like you ya fu**in half wit !!!!! though did I smart arse. It doesn't matter to me if you're against the unions that's your choice, just don't like being slagged off for my opinion.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

And then they get pissed-off with greedy workers and import cheap, foreign labour to drive down wages and working conditions?

Welcome to the last labour government.
And the ones before who have to rely on unions to get them in .

thought the motto was 1 for all and all for one,well it use to be.Only been in a union twice,1 in oz and 1 in nz but you had to be in,to get on site, Were better off with a union than without imo!

Cos e.c.t.b r not scarfs!!!!!!!!!!
Michael, opinions are divided there mate. They thought they were scaffs, they had experience, training and a qualification , of sorts. Trouble was the bigger organisation didn't see it that way and refused to recognise them. That organisation ostracized them to the extent that they had no choice but to conform, adopt a new regime and retrain or be left without work. Their various unions didn't seem to help them fight their corner even though most of them were paid up members for years. So whilst some members have benefitted by being union members, a lot more have probably benefitted by not being members.

That's the key thing Fred . The unions there are honest, because of that people trust them unlike here.

I was tongue in cheek Russ
What you mean they're not to be trusted ??? How strange. I remember in the 70's watching the news and seeing British Leyland always on strike, then the miners in the 80's. Felt sorry for the miners , but those Muppets at BL weren't worth a light.

Its nice to know those subs are being spent wisely. Didn't realise there were any coal mines near the Barbican !!

There are not enough NUM members left to pay for this pad. I did mention this subject some time ago in a different thread. Still 1.5 million is pretty much the average value of property in the UK these days. Its even more if you live next door to a celebrity like Danny Baker.

Anyway the OP simply asked what was the best union to be in. He didn't ask for the pros and cons of the Trade Union Movement.

Try and keep on topic (said with my moderators hat on :D)

Common misconception Phil, people in those areas just like to dress up like Miners, although why you would need a headlamp in the desert or aloft the tallest staircase in the world its beyond me.

Top Bottom