Where to do Tower Crane course?

Bobby do the change while your young mate, i cant be arsssed with the agro of re-training so i'll stick to my spsnner and gun and keep scaffolding....
EAT...SLEEP...SCAFFOLD.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

I stand wi you on that SSC. Nothing better than being at home in your own bed surrounded by the kids and missus. Money cant buy that.

Thank you sccb very very nice of you and same to yourself and your family

As for working abroad I'd love it and as I've no family ties ( yet ) it would be pukka to experience it, I've never thought about nebosh £££ abroad and in truth that would appeal lol as much as I love scaffolding think the h+s route may happen a bit sooner mate

I forgot its a global qualification and the amount of doors it opens are endless nice one sccb me ol mukka

horses for courses
i have nearly always worked away i have a great wife who i trust with my life and she looks after my kids while working herself.
i have been home for 6 month which is probably getting too long for sweet pea as she and my girls are used to their own space ME FARTING AND WATCHING THE FOOTBALL or "BORING NEWS" is not in the plan.
HAVESPANNERWILLTRAVEL has always been my motto but like a DAFTSCAFF i slept in and let someone get the Patent on it,to be honest he blows me oot the watter as far as destinations are concerned:eek:
SCAFFOLDING has gave me a great life with many great friends i wouldnt give it up unless i won the lotterry even then i would probably start up on my own;)

FFS, don't do that, just chuck it away, save a bit of time.

Wonder how much a bloke with a nebosh earns?? I'd love a pop at that in a few years must be £40000 + ??

Take your Nebosh sooner than later,great basic qualification to have opens lots of doors to.but for what it's worth take 2 weeks off and study on a provided course they will help you though the correct way to answer the questions as there is a specific way or "Nebosh speak" to answer them .

Is it like the smsts?? Multiple choice, attendance based and everyone passes.lol

I'm afraid not it involves very in depth, 2 x 2 hr written exams,that's what sets it apart from the other "qualifications" that are out there

Take your Nebosh sooner than later,great basic qualification to have opens lots of doors to.but for what it's worth take 2 weeks off and study on a provided course they will help you though the correct way to answer the questions as there is a specific way or "Nebosh speak" to answer them .

Thank you finn mate how much does the classroom route cost?? Roughly and is it better than the online route??

I took mine with Phoenix,2 weeks classroom based in Victoria Central London and it cost around £1400, very in depth,personally I don't think I could have pasted it self studying
They also offered to help with extra tuition via online if you didn't get through first time,I don't know if this offer still stands
I found them reasonably good providers,I have no connection with them so I am been as unbiased as I can be,to sit a Nebosh exam you do have to register with a approved trainer weather it be via self study or class based.
Hope this helps

I took mine with Phoenix,2 weeks classroom based in Victoria Central London and it cost around £1400, very in depth,personally I don't think I could have pasted it self studying
They also offered to help with extra tuition via online if you didn't get through first time,I don't know if this offer still stands
I found them reasonably good providers,I have no connection with them so I am been as unbiased as I can be,to sit a Nebosh exam you do have to register with a approved trainer weather it be via self study or class based.
Hope this helps

I'm only paddington mate so that's pukka for me and the £££ is better than I thought ( was thinking mega £££ ) would I need the general cert before the diploma??

And yes finn mate its been a massive help thank you mate, are you working in h+s now or is it for later??

Yes general/ construction cert first -2 week course then about 3 months to get your results marked then diploma if you can handle it ......that's 4 exams (units A-D) I am self studying for them at the moment they are a real step up and head twister!,might be a bridge to far for me but I'm giving it a go anyway.

Hi Bobby if your going to move forward with this you can buy a case study and I believe sit a dummy test on line before you take it this is all I can say is two words revise revise make sure you know every answer backwards your in no rush its all about common-sense you will have it all up there bobby its just like anything else remembering it all on that day in question I have a friend who sat his who as the answers to his test but they are not all generic I wouldn't cheat anyway Bobby would you ?
going to sit mine in june so I have a good 6months to store it in the old bread basket remember your test on ur part 2 everybody sat there crapping themselves and when you actually got the test paper in front of you it all fell into place its all about taking your time and by the sounds of it mucker your a young gun the more strings to ur bow u will play a good tune all the best scc

General cert was around 1400

Diplomas a lot more I am self studying I think it will come in at around 3000 but that's just for online support and study materials
They say you need between 18 month and 5 years for the diploma

When u say sit sccb is that the diploma or general cert?? And no can't cheat myself with something like that I would much rather do the donkey work and KNOW that cut corners and be stuck in a real situation

Ps u wasn't wrong about £££ abroad mate I had a butchers in uae and yes it wouldn't spoil the cut of ur suit but..... A lot want exp in the gulf ( same as offshore ie can't get on with out exp but you need to get on for the exp if you know what I mean mate)

its the first stage in your diploma bobby and you have to keep going back until your fully qualified you can google up the nebosh and it will explain everything for you its very in-depth

Spent the whole day researching crane driving and jobs and training etc,the crane drivers have a forum exactly the same as we do,I tell you what they are a ruthless bunch,loads worse than us,ask for help about getting into the game over on their forum and they shoot you down in flames,I haven't asked was just the comments I read,to what I can gather they went through a rough time the last few years the same as we did but things are picking up now,the wages to what I can gather are between £12 n £18 an hour,unless you go work out in the rigs etc then it's 51k a year,if anyone else is thinking of jumping trades to crane driving I would suggest you do it now because they are advertising for men and even trainees at the minute,will start off on a rubbish wage but hey,I was payed £35 a day back in 1986 as a scaffold labourer,you have to start at the bottom no matter how old you are if you are new to the trade.

To work offshore, on the rigs as a crane operator you would ideally need your stage 3 (sparrows or OPITO). The stage 3 allows you to perform lifts between the boat to the platform and on deck, a stage 2 is deck lifts only and the stage 1 is just an introduction to crane operations and nothing more.

Any crane operators course you do on the beach (CITB), and qualification you acheive is only recognised on the beach. They are not transferable to the offshore industry, you would have to attend the offshore equivalent ( sparrows or OPITO) courses.
Any experience you have operating cranes on the beach would come in though, the physics are the same.
If you wanted to go down this route (offshore) and gained your stage 2, you would find it quite difficult to find a position as a crane operator on a rig.
They mainly require the stage 3 operators, which in turn is pretty much unobtainable as an individual. You need to be assessed offshore (sponsored by your company) carrying out boat lifts ect. Once you have you stage 3 though you are able to take the assessment's ( as an individual) to maintain your qualification.

In my experience it is normally riggers that get to move into crane's, mechanic's too.

However, you are able to work on boats ( such as DSV's) with a stage 2. Normal day rate for a 12 hour shift is £350. This can vary though.

Also for NEBOSH General Certificate try these

SHEilds eLearning

Maybe try distance learning, if you put the legwork in there is no reason you won't acheive the desired results.

Regards

Skyhook

To work offshore, on the rigs as a crane operator you would ideally need your stage 3 (sparrows or OPITO). The stage 3 allows you to perform lifts between the boat to the platform and on deck, a stage 2 is deck lifts only and the stage 1 is just an introduction to crane operations and nothing more.

Any crane operators course you do on the beach (CITB), and qualification you acheive is only recognised on the beach. They are not transferable to the offshore industry, you would have to attend the offshore equivalent ( sparrows or OPITO) courses.
Any experience you have operating cranes on the beach would come in though, the physics are the same.
If you wanted to go down this route (offshore) and gained your stage 2, you would find it quite difficult to find a position as a crane operator on a rig.
They mainly require the stage 3 operators, which in turn is pretty much unobtainable as an individual. You need to be assessed offshore (sponsored by your company) carrying out boat lifts ect. Once you have you stage 3 though you are able to take the assessment's ( as an individual) to maintain your qualification.

In my experience it is normally riggers that get to move into crane's, mechanic's too.

However, you are able to work on boats ( such as DSV's) with a stage 2. Normal day rate for a 12 hour shift is £350. This can vary though.

Also for NEBOSH General Certificate try these

SHEilds eLearning

Maybe try distance learning, if you put the legwork in there is no reason you won't acheive the desired results.

Regards

Skyhook

I take everything you say onboard,think you may be mis-understanding me,i'm a scaff who is contemplating going into crane driving and would just do tower crane driving round London for quite a few years,i'm just thinking at aged 44 I need to change trades having been scaffolding since I was 16,was just quoting what I seen on the crane drivers forum about the off shore work,although your knowledge of this stuff is to be admired and I thank you for that.

Top Bottom