Where to do Tower Crane course?

Yorkshire Lee

Reaction score
Hi lads,My wife says she will pay for my tower crane course as a Christmas present because I am always going on about it,I have 2 questions.
Where is the best place to take the course
How much do tower crane drivers earn

They earn the same as any trades man hourly rate Lee , last crane driver i spoke to was on about £120 a day ,so are you giving up scaffolding ?

They earn the same as any trades man hourly rate Lee , last crane driver i spoke to was on about £120 a day ,so are you giving up scaffolding ?

Yeah mate,i'm 44 been doing it since I was 16,I am totally sick of it,my shoulder is ruined,my wrist is ruined,my back is fcuked,not only that the pension age keeps rising I need to think of the future,at least crane driving you can do in old age,if I get into it now I will have 6 years experience by the time I'm 50.

Think is lee like most trades within the building industry ur weather dependant , more so with the wind & shear etc & allthough it may seem a good move,i think you may need to rethink.there are a limited amount of tower cranes in the uk & i'm mot aware of any shortage of them, mobile crane may be a better way to go &youd need an hgv for that as well which would be amother string on ur bow- residential tower crane courses are avalable @citb birtchem normally circa 2.5-3.5k

bobby's, just beside the M1 at sheffield, it's next to HTC's yard as you get to meadowhall. be warned though, you do your ticket and get a red card. you then have to do so many hours as trainee, get your log book signed then you qualify for a full ticket.

The crane drivers I speak to all say the same thing - The money is dropping, they are under enormous pressure to lift in windy conditions, bad weather etc. most are employed on a self employed basis through agencies though if you can get on for macalpine or HTC, they do tend to look after they're crane drivers!

http://www.towercranetraining.co.uk/

Cheers lads,will have a long debate with myself over the holidays,like I say,is the future I am thinking about,need a trade that I can still do when im old.

Have you considered the vehicle mounted cherry picker licence, I've looked into mate and the money's not bad either, being a scaff stuck in a crane all day might be a bit **** mate at least with the other your out and about good luck what ever you deside.

up an down the ladder evry day,not much fun for a 50yrold. dont forget the potty,

Bury your head in the sand Lee your vast amount of experience would be a loss to the industry,why don't you take a sabbatical looking at other trades is no good you are what you are end of,
Advance your core in the scaffolding industry my advice Lee look at training lads up steady 60k a year look at Nebosh for scaffolding health & safety scaffolding is magnetic once your in it will always draw you back I too am long serving it 50 this year still on the Elsie Tanners banging it up running jobs and I have tried to break free got myself booked on a Nebosh course with a few irons in the fire my back is knackered suffering with bad everything nobody can buy long term experience even if they try too they always get found out dance with your feet box with your brain there is a vast amount of knowledge up there put it to good use Lee come away from the physical side and go for the mental side of the job god knows you have earned it all the best merry Christmas scc.

Yeah, good shout SCC, much how I see it myself although I reckon there are plenty out there doing the training for a lot less than 60K a year. Still something I would like to do myself at some point.

Don't think I could stomach the training side of things bud I would feel guilty watching the training assessor put them through their cards for the sake of money and not the well earned deserved grafting experience watching these fly by night training schools with their 100% pass rates annoys me it reminds me of driving schools who pass women not because they can drive but because the instructor as been sat there with an hard on for 30 minutes because she got a fanny flu mini skirt on and her knockers hanging out in our industry we have the same scenario if you have a spare grand,
PS aom merry Christmas and a cracking new year as I believe where you are from this is the best time of year all the best to you and your family scc

Wonder how much a bloke with a nebosh earns?? I'd love a pop at that in a few years must be £40000 + ??

Reckon I'm going to do it this coming year bobby. My concern is getting work even after you're qualified. It may sound paranoid but I personally reckon there is a bit of prejudice against guys from a scaffolding background as opposed to other trades.

I have my own ideas on how to make a difference. I know everyone will start out wide eyed and full of hope but I really believe employers sending young guns to me will notice a difference when I send them back. It's only a plan at the moment.

All the best for next year to you and yours too SCC.

Wonder how much a bloke with a nebosh earns?? I'd love a pop at that in a few years must be £40000 + ??

It will be like everything Bobby, depends what you do with it. Not my bag to be honest but good luck with it.

Reckon I'm going to do it this coming year bobby. My concern is getting work even after you're qualified. It may sound paranoid but I personally reckon there is a bit of prejudice against guys from a scaffolding background as opposed to other trades.

Well I've just turned 29 and by 32/33 I want it and yes I do in a way agree with you about other trades all the site managment on site ( that have been on the tools lol) are all ex chippies that is seen as " the smartest trade" but once in I think being a scaffolder already makes you the most competent person in health and safety if you know what I mean pete

I personnally think ALL scaffolders would make pukka h+s managers simply because as opposed to other trades we have more common sense and obviously better epuipped for when bad situations occur

In this country bobby your about on the ball point figure however my good man you can triple that in oz Canada gulf and other countries if you are willing to live on a job personally bobby I like to be home every night in the comforts of my home and family I don't look for big money anymore Bobby I look for the best paid closest to home on one job working away from home I was took ill in my digs and this created an absolute nightmare for my family in which I never really looked at of the hassle it caused for my family spent 15 years with the travel on blue book jobs but not anymore you cannot beat being home every night bobby even though she can drive me up the wall merry Christmas Bobby and have a happy new year all the best scc

Top Bottom