Where do you work and how far do you travel

Dutch_Can

Reaction score
I would like to know how far you guys travel for work ? Do you guys stay in camp or go back and fort ?

The reason is because I am leaving home today for 14 days we mostly stay in camps and most camps are dry camps cause your not allowed to drink.
My shift is 14 on 7 off on night shift with 12 hour days, it sucks cause I rather work close to home especially since I'm away from the family but there is nothing here in the city.

So yeah what do you do to get to work and how far ?

Had my fill of the travelling gypsy thing Dutch Can, if I had to relocate for work now the family would have to come with me.

I currently live at Clacton-on-Sea (seaside town), about 80 odd miles/2 hours travel from London.
Unfortunately the money in London is too good to turn away, so ive been travelling 4 hours a day since last April.
Not too bad, i got a Kindle Fire, so i can Facebook, Scaffolders Forum, Videos, Games, Books all the way there and back. :)

Whilst at home I travel 80 miles each way... 6am departure... The driving kills me, especially in the winter months...and not to mention the morons ya encounter on the road... When I finish my leave, my current location of work is in Gulf of Mexico... 7 days, 12-16 hour days, for 5 to 7 weeks... But usually 5 weeks.. Like AOM, I'm sick of the travelling and missing my kids grow...but the present economic climate in this rip off isle drives me away to support my kin. :(

I currently live at Clacton-on-Sea (seaside town), about 80 odd miles/2 hours travel from London.
Unfortunately the money in London is too good to turn away, so ive been travelling 4 hours a day since last April.
Not too bad, i got a Kindle Fire, so i can Facebook, Scaffolders Forum, Videos, Games, Books all the way there and back. :)

I travel 300 miles I used to drive but I try too find jobs where they offer flights which is great cause I live only 10 minutes away from the airport.

@aom

I know what you mean bud I reallocated once and that was enough, I am getting sick of all the traveling but it's the only option here since this province is so friggin huge.
Alberta is supposed to be 5 times bigger than the UK.

That was always my motivation as well Anto, it was also a good motivator to succeed at home when I started myself as I didn't want to go back on the road. Hope you get home soon if that is what you want.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I travel 300 miles I used to drive but I try too find jobs where they offer flights which is great cause I live only 10 minutes away from the airport.

@aom

I know what you mean bud I reallocated once and that was enough, I am getting sick of all the traveling but it's the only option here since this province is so friggin huge.
Alberta is supposed to be 5 times bigger than the UK.

I was telling a fella this story the other night, I remember being annoyed after buying a house and doing it up till it was minted but couldn't afford to live in it. Going to some rust bucket in the north sea with a few hundred other bears is hardly home comfort. I have nothing but respect for the travelling industrial gypsy as I know how hard it can be but my advice would always get home as soon as possible before you become a stranger, seen it loads.

That was always my motivation as well Anto, it was also a good motivator to succeed at home when I started myself as I didn't want to go back on the road. Hope you get home soon if that is what you want.
K
---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

I was telling a fella this story the other night, I remember being annoyed after buying a house and doing it up till it was minted but couldn't afford to live in it. Going to some rust bucket in the north sea with a few hundred other bears is hardly home comfort. I have nothing but respect for the travelling industrial gypsy as I know how hard it can be but my advice would always get home as soon as possible before you become a stranger, seen it loads.

Aye Alistair! I hear ya.... I know exactly what you mean...I'm seriously considering making this my last trip....

Anto

More to life than cash, so good luck.

i work wherever whenever but i do tend to go travelling its what ive always done and i dont really see it changing.my current job takes me to Saudi but who knows what lies over the horizon.
as long as everyones working then and happy with their lot then fill yer boots lads SCAFFOLDING IS SCAFFOLDING WHEREVER YOU GO.;)

Worked away from home, from the day I started scaffolding its become ingrained now .

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

25 mins for me there and back.

I'm jealous

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

10 minutes,lol:)

10 minutes! Now I'm really jealous

15 minute drive through some very picture postcard cotswold villages. Then never really more than 20 miles in the lorry to the jobs.

I would like to know how far you guys travel for work ? Do you guys stay in camp or go back and fort ?

The reason is because I am leaving home today for 14 days we mostly stay in camps and most camps are dry camps cause your not allowed to drink.
My shift is 14 on 7 off on night shift with 12 hour days, it sucks cause I rather work close to home especially since I'm away from the family but there is nothing here in the city.

So yeah what do you do to get to work and how far ?
Off Shore
Five half hours by train or car then have an over night stay.Then one hour plane then 40min chopper flight not to mention all the delays.some times the delays can be as much as five days each way.

1 minute 31 seconds is my personal best to my yard, feels like it takes forever though. ive nearly got my seat belt on when i get there.

Top Bottom