Where do you not use sways?

Right opposite Bow station. Gonna have a closer look during the week. Ill try and get pics.

you can tell the old school scaffs from the new boys, pre tg20/sg4 and all the rest the philiosphy was every corner or 100' dont put more in to it than you need to, pinch tieing in any type of revel was just standard its nothing to do with cowboy firms or slashers, even today i put up an internal scaffold on a strcse where is just wasn't practical to put in a sway and used the pinch method - sometimes common sense and practicality have to take over, and as for looks yeh ok if it looks nice fair enough but ffs you dont need to put loads of extra tube into a job just to make it look good- why make more work for yourself i,ve often found over the years that guys that put far to much into the job only do it because there inability to understand the material they're using and how to make a safe platform without the aid of a drawing, the only time i put in loads is if i've taken the piiss out of the contractor with a well over the top price and need to make it look as complicated as possible lolo

Spot on Southern,totally agree with what your saying mate.

Photo0113.jpgPhoto0114.jpgH]

Not great pics,but what do you think. The pinched trannies are in the lowest reveal only, Ties are just butts over the top wall, Left hand corner standard sitting on wall already out of plumb by a good 10inchs, Ill leave the rest to you.
Oh year,its a roof job.

Attachments

• Photo0114.jpg
    Photo0114.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 28
You'd get seasick on that,plenty of lateral movement,pressure tie's in the reveal's are not proper ties and will work loose without facade braceing:huh:

Why would you put a set of standards on the wall?

It's what we used to call "a bag of knitting".

Why would you put a set of standards on the wall?

typical london st job , on the town houses most are split up into seperate flats so at a guess the stds cant go onto someone elses property, and at the other end gota be tight on the steps to allow access, no where realistic to put a sway onto as the centre std is prob outside a lower doorway, pinch ties should really be in every available reveal to make up for the lack of a sway - but luving the 2nd lift D-h/r on a 2 brd run with access lolo....seen loads like this up town standard setup for a quick roofers access

Last edited:
I would probably just have put the standards within the garden and canted out a bit. As for the sways I would have just missed out the bottom and done something else if access was a problem but still have put them in above.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Just had another wee look, you could have braced a bay there no problem.

They probably didn't have any swivels left or 5's or 4ft boards

To be fair to them in the 3rd pic it looks like the doubles are still there on the stop end but no tube so it could have been butchered.

was only a guess lolo but bet theres a botom flat with access required down there - running a brace down to std on the wall would only push it off,pinches in the reveals would stop the movement ....dont forget al we've not looking at a tg scaffold but an old school get it up and earn it lolo

Aye, fair enough. FFS you would think we were Quincy SE.:laugh:

yeh will be to frightend to put a pic of one of my jobs on now- get pulled apart lolo

We have a few but if I ever see one at least I will be able to post a before and after version. Sometimes I forget to take pictures but not often.

I got some great piks of a few other jobs. One will make you wonder wtf. Try and post later

I wonder if anyone who has put them up has ever seen them Frederik and also what do they think about it. Probably wouldn't miss a beat but that's half the problem no one seems to care the way they used too. As always I'm probably old fashioned but the real tradesmen are dying off in all walks of life.

Photo0074.jpg

Photo0075.jpg

Photo0076.jpg

Shiver me timbers, a job in the backstreets of Hampstead garden city.

Top Bottom