Where do you not use sways?

frederik

Reaction score

Saw a job in Bow, 4/5 lifts high,mid terrace,not a sway in site. Phillio suggested,tho not techncally correct,pinched trannies in window reveals.

I agree.
A job just dont look the same without Sway Bracing.

Even if for some reason its not needed, surely you gotta put it in for looks - to stop certain people asking questions about it?
I know i would. What is it? A dozen Tubes and an extra bag of Swivels? Not much extra work to add them, is it.

Always fit Facade /face /sway Bracing

TG20:08 page 19 4.2 Facade bracing is required to be fitted to the scaffold

either A. continuous bracing extending to the full height of the scaffold and fitted as one set of bracing for every six bays of scaffold

or B. fitted over one or two bays in every six as a zig-zag to the top of scaffold

I would never erect a scaffold without fitting a facade brace, especially on a hill 'think of it as, its stopping the scaffold twisting off the wall'

further on at page 47 there is a allowance to butt walls or (other means) but again not over 6 bays. just fit them guys best practice.:cool:

I agree.
A job just dont look the same without Sway Bracing.

Even if for some reason its not needed, surely you gotta put it in for looks - to stop certain people asking questions about it?
I know i would. What is it? A dozen Tubes and an extra bag of Swivels? Not much extra work to add them, is it.

+1

even in a lift shaft?
butting all walls, probably lucky to see any brace in there at all

Yes. Even in a lift shaft with Tubes/Butts hitting all the walls.
Atleast for 2 reasons.
A: For looks, again.
B: To help stop the Scaffold twisting.

Even then, eventually those Butts will have to be taken away, as the Lift Engineers put their runners and bits in and its painted.

Whats a sway brace ???????:amazed:

Dont know:laugh:

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

even in a lift shaft?
butting all walls, probably lucky to see any brace in there at all

Mr B, i dont know what firms you have been working for,i would have been sacked for that.

you can tell the old school scaffs from the new boys, pre tg20/sg4 and all the rest the philiosphy was every corner or 100' dont put more in to it than you need to, pinch tieing in any type of revel was just standard its nothing to do with cowboy firms or slashers, even today i put up an internal scaffold on a strcse where is just wasn't practical to put in a sway and used the pinch method - sometimes common sense and practicality have to take over, and as for looks yeh ok if it looks nice fair enough but ffs you dont need to put loads of extra tube into a job just to make it look good- why make more work for yourself i,ve often found over the years that guys that put far to much into the job only do it because there inability to understand the material they're using and how to make a safe platform without the aid of a drawing, the only time i put in loads is if i've taken the piiss out of the contractor with a well over the top price and need to make it look as complicated as possible lolo

Can't think of a single job we have built without sways but we do use pinch as well. Any lift shaft I have done has been progressive and sways were built in as we went up, was it a trick question?:wondering:

Can't think of a single job we have built without sways but we do use pinch as well. Any lift shaft I have done has been progressive and sways were built in as we went up, was it a trick question?:wondering:

Couldnt of been a trick question......because you had a answer mate.:eek:

Always got an answer Paddy just no guarantee it's for the right question at the right time.;)

Top Bottom