What to do if 2nd man is not very good.

man up and put him in his place the job is hard enough without avin to carry people

if he has been in the game for 8 years and can not even tie a board then i thick he is in the wrong job mate.

Only been chargehand for about a year now. Went from Labourer to chargehand in one stroke. Think I missed the middle bit.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

If he's a good chap keep hold of him. You might end up with a right tosser. Better the devil you know!!

Thanks Tony I know your right as I have experienced something similar before. Az I said before he is a good man and I would not like any bad feeling between us.

Yeah you got it mate. For a while now I've wondered if its me or if I am talking a different language to everyone else. Fed up of this s h i t e and just want my pay packet and a couple of pints. Speaking to my 2nd man it goes in one ear and out the other too and I long to be a one man squad.

Is that possible? A one man squad? Maybe I could use a handline!!

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Dunno 12 years Labouring maybe and all the crap in between

Only been chargehand for about a year now. Went from Labourer to chargehand in one stroke. Think I missed the middle bit.

With all due respect Bro, could this not be the 'source of the Problem':eek:

Promotion is a rewarding achievement that is accredited to a persons, gradual professional development. You start at the bottom, and gradually progress, through the different levels of achievement contained within your chosen Career path.

We have all heard of the 'Once in a lifetime natural born' for this..... scenario, however, in real life terms. When working in a Team, if respect and promotion has not been achieved by,the progressive improvement and Knowledge route, you could find your squad will work against you, rather than support you and back you up to the hilt, if the sh1t hits the fan.

I hope this is not the case for you my friend, however, Discuss is better than Disgust, have a squad chat about Aims and reputation. Best of luck.

Regards
Paddy

Thanks paddy carr, you make a lot of sense there. I will try to discuss once again and when the TuBe situation arises again I will try and make my point well clear. Thank you

As good an advert for the school of hard knocks as I've ever heard. Don't take this the wrong way busybee but I suspect you have been promoted beyond your capabilities at the moment. Any good leading hand should have brought you on therefore you should know how to bring on any other second hand. Is your mate trained and ticketed and to what level? I have my suspicions about the level of training in Scotland at the moment and would be nice to know. My advice would be to slow it down when teaching him how to lash a board, I reckon I must be amongst the slowest on learning new knots but once it's in it's in. On the other hand, maybe he is the smart one and hates lashing boards and just wants you to do it.

Why do you need advice on this? either pelt him or have a word in the lug hole, this sort of thing brings your own judgment in question. if you cant think for yourself on this one mate how do ever expect to get past charge hand (sort it out)

As good an advert for the school of hard knocks as I've ever heard. Don't take this the wrong way busybee but I suspect you have been promoted beyond your capabilities at the moment. Any good leading hand should have brought you on therefore you should know how to bring on any other second hand. Is your mate trained and ticketed and to what level? I have my suspicions about the level of training in Scotland at the moment and would be nice to know. My advice would be to slow it down when teaching him how to lash a board, I reckon I must be amongst the slowest on learning new knots but once it's in it's in. On the other hand, maybe he is the smart one and hates lashing boards and just wants you to do it.
just to pick a point about scottish scaffs,, im not scottish... but for the ones that i have worked alongside off to date... have been black belts... i would agree that there is muppets everywhere you go... even in my own back garden... as for those who would know me... i'd give a guy a chance... only a chance mind you... as I wouldn't suffer fools or expect a team member to be lacking on a regular basis... do the job your paid to do... if you dont know ,Ask!!! if one is not interested... run him..

Hi Anto, my question had nothing to do with the Scottish scaffs but more to do with the quality of training up here. The reason I only question it up here is because that is the limit of my experience. As you say good and bad every where but I feel if the training was better there would be less bad slip through the net. As always I could be wrong and the problem lies closer to home namely me.

i kinda knew you weren't having a go in that regard... even some of the best firms going have their fair share of spoons in the draw... it helps to maximise their profits at the expense of the good hands.... in regards to experiences and training provided to personnel... I find that training is only a small part of the equasion.. its down to attitude at the beginning... working hard.. getting to work with decent senior lads who will bring you on and hence being confident to tackle and lead jobs yourself... muppets and spoons are there to be used.. if they dont want to progress then dont suffer them.....if ya want to see atrotcious scaffolding and poor standards, have a look at all the k-stage scaff companies on the web in ireland.. you will see boys wearing belts with more utensils than batman... with the exception of at least 5 firms that I know off..

be nice and just tell him hes fukin useless..ask him if he got his cards off the back of a kellogs box.. .couldnt scaffold a wendy house and ur gonna bring ur 6 year old nephew in to show him how its dun the morra ha ha ha ha

surely as chargehand you should be showing him where he is going wrong, as he does not a week later.
its all a learning curve mate, i mean were you bang on the money when shown first time how to do something new?
i know i have to ask how to tie tube each time as i forget it.
A good chargehand will teach people
I'm currently working with a 54yr old bloke who cant get to grips with sg4:10, 6months on still saying the same things.
Keep chipping away, it WILL sink in

Thanks Aom, I understand what you are saying and tend to agree with you. I had been working for about a year with the man in question and an apprentice. There was no chargehand in the squad and one day my supervisor asked me if I would like to be chargehand of the squad. I had been doing it anyway on an unofficial basis (apprentice is only apprentice and 2nd man has not tickets and was only too keen to let me sign permits and take responsibility for jobs) so I accepted the offer and increase in wages. In hindsight maybe I was a little too hasty to accept.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

surely as chargehand you should be showing him where he is going wrong, as he does not a week later.
its all a learning curve mate, i mean were you bang on the money when shown first time how to do something new?
i know i have to ask how to tie tube each time as i forget it.
A good chargehand will teach people
I'm currently working with a 54yr old bloke who cant get to grips with sg4:10, 6months on still saying the same things.
Keep chipping away, it WILL sink in

Why do you need advice on this? either pelt him or have a word in the lug hole, this sort of thing brings your own judgment in question. if you cant think for yourself on this one mate how do ever expect to get past charge hand (sort it out)

richystil the reason I am asking for advice is because I do not want to "pelt him" as I have stated earlier.

Mr b I will keep chipping away and maybe by miracle it will sink in. Thank you

Top Bottom