What to do if 2nd man is not very good.

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me of the best way to handle my 2nd man? He has been doing his job for about 8 years and is good at system, but when it comes to tube he has difficulties. This results in many arguments that I would rather not get into because he is a good guy outside of scaffolding.

Depends if you are on Day work or price work .

If its price work and he is not pulling his weight then he needs to be told so.

If its day work then whats the problem ?

Why dont you just talk to and ask him to labour while erecting tube and fitting and reverse the roll while erecting system scaffold .

If all else fails then get rid of him and find a labourer and do a 60/40 split on the wages

How long has he been doing Tube & Fitt?

Can anyone advise me of the best way to handle my 2nd man? He has been doing his job for about 8 years and is good at system, but when it comes to tube he has difficulties. This results in many arguments that I would rather not get into because he is a good guy outside of scaffolding.

is HE second man? that is the ?
he may be feeling the same way bb

Thanks for the advice mate. If you had a 2nd man who had been working in the job for 8 years and is getting scaffolders rate, would you expect him to know how to tie down boards, clove hitch, rolling hitch, timber hitch and timber hitch etc.?
I mean no disrespect to him but my apprentice listens whereas he doesn't. I have shown him all the knots and the basics of tube but I dont know where I am going wrong.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

is HE second man? that is the ?
he may be feeling the same way bb

Well he waits until the hard work on the T & f is done b4 he comes in and trannies it out.

And Im Chargehand.

Last edited:
Another thing to think about .

Tell your supervisor / manager about the situation and tell them your not happy about working with him , it maybe he is un-safe topping up 21s and you feel he may course a accident because he is nervous .
you sound as if you are on good terms out-side work so maybe a chat between your-selfs will be enough for him to think about his ability to work with you .

personally i would let him take the lead,
ever heard the phrase give him enough rope?
if he's that bad it wont belong before he snuggles up in his place as No 2

every considered the fact that you might be working with a mentality challenged colleague.???? due to the ambiguous instructions off the Charge hand??????

Last edited:
tell him to sort his fuckin acgt out

If hes the second man he should be following you,i personally think that if he cant or refuses to tie tube and boards properly he deserves a boot in the balls and told to **** off to a man in attendance job.
Tell him if he wants to learn and he needs to learn then you will teach him if not go for the above

If you are the chargehand, TAKE CHARGE

Rest of gang follows your instructions, END OF STORY

If you do not have what it takes to run a gang, you may be a lot happier going as a 2nd hand in another gang

back in the day, any lip from your team ,a little slap was always in order, or you would "send them back to the yard" where the supervisor sent them with another gang or more than likely sacked them

If he's a good chap keep hold of him. You might end up with a right tosser. Better the devil you know!!

uıɐbɐ uʍopǝpısdn;91239 said:
Depends if you are on Day work or price work .

If its price work and he is not pulling his weight then he needs to be told so.

If its day work then whats the problem ?

Why dont you just talk to and ask him to labour while erecting tube and fitting and reverse the roll while erecting system scaffold .

If all else fails then get rid of him and find a labourer and do a 60/40 split on the wages

think weve all had this a few times personally if hes a grafter and its daywork cant see it being a problem as upside says if hes keen and dont know to much he must feel very frustrated personally i wouldnt find it a problem only if he was lazy then that would be a different matter!!!!

Stop being a gay ****, speak youre mind and tell him how it is.:suspicious:

I would just tell him how you feel, why you feel that way , ask if he has any problems or ideas on how things might run smoother together,

or ( I advise better than I purvey it myself )

Im with a lad now who is keen as mustard and good grafter , but his brains are fcukin brok, in fact i think they still in the wrapper brand fcukin new still, he forgets everything he has learnt every single night of the week, so everyday he does something daft that sends me into a zeberdy style hissy fit, screaming to him what fcukin planet is he on , he is waste of fcukin oxygen and that if his brains were made of gold he be in debt. shout he makes me wanna bang my head off a longun till i bleed from the ears,

Using this style of approach has done absolutely fcuk all to solve the situation over 18 months now, so i dont recomend this at all :nuts:

Top Bottom