what a loada crap...

I think were stuck with that one moanalot.

Sorry allan66, but my advice would be to read and understand it as it will be thrown in your face every time you walk on a site.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Although, you are right, there have been a few additions and addendums already.:D

http://v35.up1.universalpixel.com/ams/assets/NASC532147/Tg20 full explanation.pdf
These people who think this rubbish up need to get in the real world...Who's gonna pay for all this just to get exactly the same as they were gettin before...A SCAFFOLD...Sound the death march...RIP tube an fitting scaffold...Tossers..:mad:

images1.jpg

images11.jpg

Heres a look at the real world , the so called scaffold companies who know best. Has for who is going to pay I would say these people have paid a significant price
BBC NEWS | England | Beds/Bucks/Herts | Scaffolding collapse worker dies
Man dies in Wembley scaffold collapse | Mail Online

I've been to a number of accident investigations luckily they were just near miss's. I've took statements from contracts managers, supervisors and scaffolders involved and I'll tell you what they don't look so tough the fact is they were sh..ing themselves because of their actions

Last edited:
Good post Ian and a reminder to all why we have these changes, but can you tell us the reasons for the collapse in each case, I can't remember but they look familiar.

I am sure in both cases ties were removed and in the upper pic poor dismantling practice was also a feature .

Last edited:
I thought that scaffarobbo, maybe more emphasis should be placed on the user?

Cardiff
Scaffold collapse - Cardiff
Two building companies were fined a total of £320 000 after 12 storeys of scaffolding partially collapsed onto a road and railway in Cardiff. Miraculously, nobody was hurt as the incident occurred late at night. The collapse, which happened in December 2000, caused major disruption as the road and railway were closed for five days. An HSE investigation identified a catalogue of errors, which contributed to the collapse:

■ The scaffold design was defective in certain areas. In particular, the design drawing for the scaffolders did not provide adequate information on the number, location and make-up of the ties.

■ A decision was taken at site level by the contracts manager and scaffolder to change the design, without checking with the designer. This was because the design drawing supplied was poorly prepared and ambiguous.

■ Ninety-one anchor ties were installed, rather than the required 300.There were no drilled fixings in the topmost 6 m of the scaffolding.

■ Each tie consisted of two ringbolts with drilled anchors. The ties were defectively installed, as the scaffolders were not trained in the proper fixing of the anchors and associated ringbolts. As a result the ties failed prematurely in high winds.

■ The principal contractor did not carry out checks on either the design of the scaffolding or the adequacy of the installation. A scaffolding register was not completed, nor was there a system for carrying out weekly inspections of the scaffolding. The number of ties installed was not checked at hand-over, nor had any been tested. Andrew Knowles, the HSE inspector who led the investigation, said: ‘This is the worst scaffold collapse I have investigated. It is only a matter of good fortune that nobody was injured. Had the incident happened during the daytime, the consequences could have been catastrophic. ’Since the incident the principal contractor has trained over 40 engineers in scaffold inspection and the scaffolding contractor has carried out a company-wide retraining programme. (http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/pdf/may2003.pdf )

Milton Keynes
Fatal scaffold collapse prompts £126,000 fine
Scaffold Collapse, Milton Keynes 2006 - Mark Robinson's story
Scaffold Collapse, Milton Keynes 2006 - Ivan Penkov's story

ian good post quite imformative,could you tell me how many of that type of occurance we have every year?wont call it an accident after reading the above,how many injuries are sustained in these occurances,and lastly personaly do you think there is a direct link to the mentioned poor level of training being recived at training centres all around the country mate?

Not sure on the statistics celticboy but you can't blame it on quality of training. The majority of the time you can put it down to lazyness poor supervision and poor planning.

100_0965.jpg

100_1176.jpg

SL273053.jpg

Last edited:
i think your right ian regarding all the three aspects you mention ....

i sometimes have come across a real poor attitude from main contractor and programs which don't give realistic time for scaffold erection leading to a real confrontational contracting approach where the main contractor bullies scaffolder into wanting to work in all areas all of the time

although its no excuse it can really lead to a chain of events where little things begin to be overlooked leading to a poor culture on site ...this is then only addressed when their safety officer appears fortnightly and then no real regime
change
i think it really needs better planning because i come across the same problems all the time
tim

Good point timthumb, the pictures are very good and a warning but don't tell the whole story.

The middle one is a disgrace Ian, infact they all are, hard to think of an excuse for that type of job.

You hit the nail right on the head there.If these contractors want perfection then they should install a full time safety thingy on site in a hut so he can inspect and sign off every scaffold once erected and make sure the scaffs are working "safely" and then there would be no cause for complaint...Simple...But who's gonna pay for that??

1 st picture are those rails for cladding.............i can hear the cladders saying all those ties are in the way........ were doing all that tomorrow they've got to go

again planning no buttress ...or very few openings ..... no plan for ties again leading to confrontation and problem rather than looking at the finish in the first place and planning with the scaffolder company before hand

would love to no the age satistics of these scaffolders ian and would love to no what tickets they have mate.and how long they have been scaffolding.

I jacked a job on Tuesday because the main contractor, a ground work firm (not a scaffolding firm), wanted me to slash jobs up just like this with no regard to safety. I was the only scaffolder on site and all they cared about was time, nothing else.

i sometimes have come across a real poor attitude from main contractor and programs which don't give realistic time for scaffold erection leading to a real confrontational contracting approach where the main contractor bullies scaffolder into wanting to work in all areas all of the time

Bang on, seeing this quite a bit. The bigger the job the more unrealistic time frames and pressure from contractors.

The middle picture is an absolute f***ing shocker....

Good point timthumb, the pictures are very good and a warning but don't tell the whole story.

The middle one is a disgrace Ian, infact they all are, hard to think of an excuse for that type of job.

The middle one is 17 boards wide unsupported :eek:

Top Bottom