Umbrella company paid me way to much.

Ive recently been paid £1600 by an umbrella company by mistake. I was only meant to get £360 (wages) which they paid me 1st thing friday I rang um as i thought it was a little short which it was as i was charged 30% tax. I gave them my self employed number and a hour later £1300 went in my bank.

The problem ive got now is it was bill week that week and i knew i didn't have the money in there to pay um (out of work all month) so i was just going to let um bounce and set up a deal to pay um back over a period of time. I've not got the money to pay the Umbrella company when they come calling for the dosh so **** know's what i'm going to do. Might just tell um to do 1 as it wasn't my mistake

:laugh: happy days when they do catch up payem a £5.00 a week if they dont catch up even better:cool:

thats what i was thinking i'm sure they've bumped scaffs before bit of pay back me thinks.

Last edited:
Id not say a thing about that, lol.
Keep it to yourself and enjoy the 'payrise'. ;)

As far as I'm aware the law says that they are within there rights to get the money back as you will not be the first one to have been overpaid in error
I would ring them back explain the situation and take it from there .
The complication is they might not notice then you have a moral dilemma . I'm sure others will give advice on that but I have always ( or more recently ) said that you should treat others as you would like to be treated ... It pays dividends in the end
I do hope your work situation improves enabling you to sort this out

Happy days,you ought to delete this thread tho. You cant claim ignorance now the whole world knows. lol

yeah it's not going to be up for long

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 PM ----------

I'm just going to wait for them to ring. hopefully they wont notice

My son has had two payments by mistake..No one ever came back to him.

Heard through the grapevine that Keza does a bit of collecting work for this firm... beware Horr mate.

Once Keza agrees to collect, its either in cash or in blood. :eek:

Bad advice to keep the money mate. Timthumb was spot on when he said that an employer is entitled to withhold any overpayment from future earnings.

It happened to us last week when we paid 3 lads over double their wages - funny how I never get a call when people are overpaid!

Anyway, I checked with payroll and we could have taken the whole overpayment back the following week, but having spoken to the lads in question (who, by the sounds of things had enjoyed their status a weekend billionaires) I agreed to deduct the money over 2 weeks. But we were not obliged to do by law.

My suggestion would be to keep the money in a savings account for a few months before you spend.

Do not assume that management do not scan the wage records for errors or signs of fiddling - because its a standard thing to do...

i bet it dont happen that often tho :)

What i'm thinking is when they ring (not if) i'll set up to pay um back pay as much as £850 back over a period of time bump um on the last £450 as it will cost them more to get the £450 back through legal proceedings i'm sure they will be happy to recoup most of the dosh and i'm happy to be up a weeks wages.

What i'm thinking is when they ring (not if) i'll set up to pay um back pay as much as £850 back over a period of time bump um on the last £450 as it will cost them more to get the £450 back through legal proceedings i'm sure they will be happy to recoup most of the dosh and i'm happy to be up a weeks wages.

Is it worth a weeks wages [£450.00] to be black listed and see your credit rating disappear

3 scaffs paid triple on Sgb years ago paid triple wages by mistake all three travelled in the same car and didn't mention it to each other .... That's scaff brotherhood for you lol ..,
Anyway wife of one told management to f off and spent it one spent it ... one saved it
All three paid it back over next month and wished they never received it

Top Bottom