Tube through fitting Question

That short boards may be supported by 2 transoms provided they are fixed at both ends...
Page 53

cos these lot want it does that make it right

There all Nasc members and now we are having to sing to there song sheet, if we want to be employed in this job that i love and i believe you do, we know 75% of it is a crock of ****, but i cant change the regs, maybe if we all passion for our job, and joined the SCCR we might get a say.

I have been pulled for not having at least 50mm through the double but when I asked the Safety Officer in question He couldn't give a proper reply.
Personally I think its just another silly thing to pull us on when they can't find anything else wrong with the job.

Willie has been Pulled:eek: for not having 50mm through the double, See told you size doesnt matter.:D

BS:5973 quoted a minimum of 50mm overhang on all tube (transoms & Ledgers) I think the reason was impact loading where the deflection of the tube would prevent a complete collapse of the impacted lift...........

is this 50mm through the clip a personal request of the tag\safety man????have heard of late on some simian audits they are pulling this(not entirely sure if this is true)just that im not personally aware of any guidence saying that 50mm is what is now required.

Last edited:
Correct. Regards the board the TG 20 is wrong. In scaffolding you should always work to a 2 to 1 safety factor. min transoms must be 3 under any short board.

Surely as long as the platform can resist the concentrated loads in the British standards ie 1kn over area of 100mm sq in the most unfavorable posistion it's legal. I will be putting 3 in in the future tho

Correct. Regards the board the TG 20 is wrong. In scaffolding you should always work to a 2 to 1 safety factor. min transoms must be 3 under any short board.

Must admit i either didnt know that, or ive forgotten completely being told it, or reading it, to be honest i dont really count the transoms i fix under a board i just make sure 100% that it doesnt move , it is solid and cannot be snapped, it may be 2 transoms 3 transoms 30 transoms, trapped down by clips, board clips, toeboard etc etc but it cannot bend, break or bounce.

anyone heard of 'the rule of thumb'? we've had murder with this over the last 12 months,especially when putting tin sheet hoarding on a job. Something the safety guys are looking for is the rule of thumb, self decriptive really, if they can put they're thumb on the oversail then there happy, as for board oversail, i thought it was 6 x's the thickness of a board?

After 33 year, on the Elsies, i dont think i will buying the New 'Grants 'Catalogoue' on telling you Transoms to boards, named TG20:08.

My formulae, never, failed yet. If the board is bouncy throw another tranny in. If in doubt, Have a brew, Look at the Job. Then do your job, you are a Trained CISRS:D:D:DScaffolder.

Experience,experience,and Training to get your nice card to fit in our wallets, in order to pay in 5 years time to say if the colour of a Fire Extinguisher has changed.

Dont let TG 20:08. make you wind up your company guys (Join the SCCR, for advice) Common sense can prevail.

This is how we see it at simian and we have done for 2.5 years. We never pull work unless tubes are not through the fitting, we accept it if the tube is through the full body of the fitting. This will be explained more in the revision of scaffold inspection courses but it's always been in ours.

If you did your courses years ago like me 50mm or 2 inch was always the norm talked about. Why we state the above is we have read TG20, EN74,EN39 and 12811 and found nothing.

Some safety advisors have condemned jobs on this and the 80 odd scaffold companies I represent will come back to me for an answer so we need to know. Other main contractors use a rule of thumb scenario as in end of thumb to first knuckle joint through the fitting, that's their prerogative.

Cape or SSSL meetcat refers to have made their rule up as well so if you work for them you have to do it.

If.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

There is no 'official' length in any NASC guidance, but general good practice has it that at least 25mm of tube should stick out from the gate.

Phil 25mm from the gate is through the body of the fitting, am I understanding that correct

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

is this 50mm through the clip a personal request of the tag\safety man????have heard of late on some simian audits they are pulling this(not entirely sure if this is true)just that im not personally aware of any guidence saying that 50mm is what is now required.

There must be another simian out there pulling these then.

Top Bottom