Tube through fitting Question

meercat

Reaction score
Our company(Cape) stipulates that a fitting must have a minimum of 50mm of tube through the fitting and an end cap in place.
I have no problem with this but would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is best practice or legislated?

Thanks

PS............Probably a good one for Simian to advise on.

There is no 'official' length in any NASC guidance, but general good practice has it that at least 25mm of tube should stick out from the gate.

Our company(Cape) stipulates that a fitting must have a minimum of 50mm of tube through the fitting and an end cap in place.
I have no problem with this but would like to know if anyone can tell me if this is best practice or legislated?

Thanks

PS............Probably a good one for Simian to advise on.

50mm is right, as for end cap no need. seen plenty a job and only half in the cup, and you know thats not right

Ive never seen any official documentation about the length of tube over sailing a fitting, but id guess that 50mm or about 2 inches or so sounds about right to me.

I myself try to leave atleast 50mm just for the reason that its safer and allows for any small knocks a scaffold might take, as you've got a bit of tube oversailing and it looks better.

Just my 2pence worth.

Just out of curiosity, what guidance document states 50mm?

Would that be best practice or guidance, or the law, which all the three arnt listed as such, what would you do. ?

I have been pulled for not having at least 50mm through the double but when I asked the Safety Officer in question He couldn't give a proper reply.
Personally I think its just another silly thing to pull us on when they can't find anything else wrong with the job.

There is no official guidance, that I'm aware of anyway. At least 25mm is good practice.

do you use end caps all over or just where people can knock themselves meercat

Only where someone would knock there self..
I'm off out now but looking forward to reading later, Maybe IF will have given us the correct answer if there is one to this.

There is no official guidance, that I'm aware of anyway. At least 25mm is good practice.

I would say 25mm is not, if you keep in your head tube 50mm through the cup, and the mim overhang of a board is 50mm you cant go wrong.

we can all say when putting a 2" foot board or 3" board why the f**k put 3 trannys to them, but thats the way the guidance is, im 17 stone and a 2 foot board over 2 trannys i couldnt snap the fu**er jumping on it.:nuts:

you only need two transoms under a 2 or 3 foot board! provided their fixed at both ends...

bullocks isnt it . just some thing new for w!nksplash safety men to pull you on when they cant spot nowt else . usually cant spot owt can they cos they havent got a fooking clue .if the scaffold was exactly the length of a 21 flush with the end of the 2 end fittings , should you stagger the ledgers to give you 25 mm , should you fook .

you only need two transoms under a 2 or 3 foot board! provided their fixed at both ends...

nope you dont, interserve, cape, hertel, and any tag man wants 3 trannys to a short board.

Top Bottom