Traninees becoming scaffolders

Have been in scaffolding for twenty four years and have trained up my far share of scaffolders . Have been training my son for three years now and he has out grown me in the way that hes quicker stronger and has got good vison for the job which ment on Monday gone he took out his own gang and is now leading a gang of three which makes me feel very proud . But now i have a new nineteen year old labourer that knows nothing so i have to start all over again , sometimes would like to hold on to these guys but cant blame for making the job there own

Agree with Jason, Paul And there is always the Satisfaction of knowing that They'll do alright when in charge of Their own gang. We all were taught by someone and moved on. I hope Your new Trainee is keen Because that's half the battle

LOL YEHA YEHA AOM YA MABY LOOK AFTER YA LADS AND TREAT THEM WELL BUT YA LIKE ALL OTHER GIFFERS ''AR WELL YA CAN MAKE MONEY NOT MUCH AND ITS HARD WORK AD RATHER BE BACK ON SPANNERS'' LOL WHILE YA SITTING ON YA LILO IN SWIMMING POOL OF AY VILLA'S OR PUTTING FOR A BIRDIE ON THE 18TH HOLE :bigsmile:

I wish, can't put to save my life but I can boom it off the tee.;)

I'm a gaffer in name only, I'm still very much on the tools and that's the way I like it.

Just make sure that the blokes your training up respect the effort your making to help them out.

I trained my Brother how to Scaffold - he didnt know the difference between a Double and a 13ft Board when he started working with me, 8 years on and hes a pretty decent Scaffolder, but hes also a very arrogant c.unt who thinks he knows everything and is gods gift to Scaffolding, when he really really aint.

Make sure they appreciate the hard work in moulding someone into a decent Scaff, because it aint easy.

Have been in scaffolding for twenty four years and have trained up my far share of scaffolders . Have been training my son for three years now and he has out grown me in the way that hes quicker stronger and has got good vison for the job which ment on Monday gone he took out his own gang and is now leading a gang of three which makes me feel very proud . But now i have a new nineteen year old labourer that knows nothing so i have to start all over again , sometimes would like to hold on to these guys but cant blame for making the job there own
Well done Paul

When you say you are proud of him I know just how proud you mean.

Offshore at present and finish at 6pm WA, so 11pm NZ. Let me know if you will be staying up any night soon.

Jb79 i believe that by the time an employer does put you threw your tickets that employee has already made you 10 time this cost after deduction of there wages i know for a fact in a gang of 3 week make the gaffer at leaset £1,000 aday /3 £333.33 each a day thats £1,666 a week i ahve made him he pays me 250 - 320 tops a week

interesting reply mate i'm not to sure where you get your figures from though, a gang of 3 can make 1k a day dont forget off of that is wages ,tax ,insurance ,fuel,public liability,vechile expences and any non productive worktime assoiated with the job such as the initial visit,time for the quote,inspection and handover costs and then obviously taking it down and the costs involved with that as well, yes there's a profit but then take out % for ongoingpurchase of materials and yard rent any other loan that the company has then its not as high as you may think lololo
and dont forget for every day u may think u earn him that much there are going to be several others in the month, where you may not - as well as the usual gang that may drag ther feet today cos they think they worked hard yesterday.

i run my company in the same way as aom in fact we joke about being the same company but on either side of the wall.lolo - i've trained to many scaffs to remember before and since running my own company - yeh it can be a pride thing but now your in a catch 22 with all the new regs, u either train guys exactly as you need them, or try and take on guys and mould them into your companys ways which sometimes end in a clash!- first 2 years can cost well over 5k which doesnt include there wages as at an early stage theres no way thay can earn there own money let alone make you any-
heres a prime example took a guy straight from his army demob,good worker and nice guy paid him £85 a day as a labour for about 18months then payed for has part 1 came bak and i put him on £100- 18months later put him through his part2 and hgv after which i then started paying him £125 6 months later he left me for someone paying him £130 he didnt think there was anything wrong wiv it personally i felt pissed off wouldn't you :amazed:

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd be devastated. I would have matched it as well I think but it's hard to say sitting here, it's not the first time I've cut off my nose to spite my face. Some people get it and some don't, I will admit I didn't get it either until it was my name above the door.

interesting reply mate i'm not to sure where you get your figures from though, a gang of 3 can make 1k a day dont forget off of that is wages ,tax ,insurance ,fuel,public liability,vechile expences and any non productive worktime assoiated with the job such as the initial visit,time for the quote,inspection and handover costs and then obviously taking it down and the costs involved with that as well, yes there's a profit but then take out % for ongoingpurchase of materials and yard rent any other loan that the company has then its not as high as you may think lololo
and dont forget for every day u may think u earn him that much there are going to be several others in the month, where you may not - as well as the usual gang that may drag ther feet today cos they think they worked hard yesterday.

I run my company in the same way as aom in fact we joke about being the same company but on either side of the wall.lolo - i've trained to many scaffs to remember before and since running my own company - yeh it can be a pride thing but now your in a catch 22 with all the new regs, u either train guys exactly as you need them, or try and take on guys and mould them into your companys ways which sometimes end in a clash!- first 2 years can cost well over 5k which doesnt include there wages as at an early stage theres no way thay can earn there own money let alone make you any-
heres a prime example took a guy straight from his army demob,good worker and nice guy paid him £85 a day as a labour for about 18months then payed for has part 1 came bak and i put him on £100- 18months later put him through his part2 and hgv after which i then started paying him £125 6 months later he left me for someone paying him £130 he didnt think there was anything wrong wiv it personally i felt pissed off wouldn't you :amazed:

i like aom ya sound like a good gaffer personally i think our gaffer is a gready so and so and he knows it thats the worst bit. He says he needs every gang to make him 500-700 to cover cost any thing over 700 is profit but i can asure you at thie firm theres no chance you could get away with not making him 1k a day for long as you would be down the road

persoanly i know i ow my gaffer nothing on 65 aday kikcing my pan in working daft ours i had loyalties to him for givign me starts after walking off a job on the wnsdaya nd starting for him friday (workign along side bro and didint work for long some one had to give ) but that loyaltie whent out the window with all the respect i had for him when he fort he was funny and finished me on april foosl for a laff and txting me sunday to come bck in messing with some 1s lively hood isnt a joke,
there agin you havent done this with him
65 a day 85 aday? I know who ad work for
. And the payign for his tickets and then on 100 aday am a trainee payed for it my self and on 65 aday still (dosent rise even when ya get ya part 2 form them for a year or so )
nd then his hgv and part two rising pay again
**** me his had it good i would be raging if he left my firm FKING RIGHT I WOULD
but when i go my gaffer carnt say sh1t coz i ow him nothing

ps WHEN CAN I START :d

scaff89
i feel for you i really do,loyalty and trust goes hand in hand, take one away and the other will follow quickly, i dont know ur boss/company so it wouldn't be fair for me to comment on it to be honset,
over the years i worked for some right bad companies and always used to say if i ever had my own then i'd do this or i'd do that - well now i do and i'd like to think that i'd taken the best of them with me and left all the bullshiiit behind, the mantra used to be no-one works for me we all work together , but unfortunatley after years of haveing the piiisstaken outta meand incedents like the previous one and worse i've started to get a little synical - but steel feel i treat my guys well , after all without them where would i be - back to working for wannnkers on **** pay!

the truth is though you have to invest in your staff and training if you ever expect to grow as a company, piiisstakers will come and go and i wont be able to stop it but the main core of the company will always remain, my son started at 8 painting fittings now at 22 and on his way towards advanced he'd done me proud but that was no picknik several times in the first couple of years i wanted to give him a slap lolol

Last edited:
It's funny, we think all gaffers are like us, you think all gaffers are like yours. I would jump as well if I had a gaffer like that. I would say the Aom boy's would maybe tell you I was greedy at times as well but the truth is I am more desperate to satisfy customer demands as cash although I'm not trying to kid you on that cash isn't important. £1000 profit per day on a 3 handed gang is impossible in my world no matter how hard they graft but every day they are out they must make a profit but for me the levels change daily and there is a pot to pay for down time. I think it's apt but Rabbie Burns said "oh what a gift to gie ye, to see yourself as others see ye" or words to that effect, so the truth is I'm not sure but I hope I am fair enough.

One point I would make is one big client went bust on us and the cupboard was bare after it, it took us around 3 years of hard graft to get back to the same position during some real hard times nation wide. Yes, I agree every man played their part and for that I am grateful and sometimes I have to push harder than the boy's would like, longer hours, weekends and the like but I also pay a descent rate and don't loose too many to other firms.

I think we all have to accept there are lots of different types of people out there and it's our interaction with them that sets our opinions on others.

Southern
Yeah both you and Aom sound like good gaffers
There is no chance I would leave a firm with a good gaffer where I knew I had steady work, paying for training etc for an extra £5 a day !!!!!?

What if there's only a few weeks work there ? Are you gonna take him back ! Would I/you fk. What if someone offers him an extra £2.50 a day, he'd be off like a shot !!!! lol

ILL TELL YAS WHAT LADS I BOOK TWO WEEKS OFF DO A WEEK FOR AOM AND A WEEK FOR SOUTHERNPROOF TO SEE HOW THE OTHER SIDE LIVE AND NOWTS AS SURE I WILL BE BAKC IN THE SLIM CRAWLING ALONGISDE HIM AND PISSING ON HIS LEG HOWS THAT FOR A NOTICE :laugh:LOL

Mon up Monday, you are booked on a boat for Mull.;)

I HIS GETITNG THE SHUNT NEXT MOUNTH GOT A GUARENTEED START ON A SHUT DOWN IN MARCH BUT WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THAT WILL BE FOR. KEEP A HOLD OF THEM 1 WAY TICKETS AOM :laugh:

Good on ya, is that you just starting out on the circuit? Another industrial gypsy.:amuse:

Ad rather stay put its local shut down and hopefully lead to work on nuk plant for capes, probbly not but quadtruple my wage for how ever long, enought to get me tickets and transport sorted so its a step in the right directions i ope marra

Agreed, good luck with it all. Don't tell the gaffer he is a pr ck yet, you never know.:idea:

I won't and probbly won't when i go burning bridges and all that and the **** we get allows us to keep a roof over our heads thats more important than getting the last laff so its not all bad form his side he does pay me every thursday lol

Yeah, small mercies and all that. Hope you get on the shutdown though.

Top Bottom