Traninees becoming scaffolders

paul

Reaction score
Have been in scaffolding for twenty four years and have trained up my far share of scaffolders . Have been training my son for three years now and he has out grown me in the way that hes quicker stronger and has got good vison for the job which ment on Monday gone he took out his own gang and is now leading a gang of three which makes me feel very proud . But now i have a new nineteen year old labourer that knows nothing so i have to start all over again , sometimes would like to hold on to these guys but cant blame for making the job there own

You've done them proud Paul.

If my son wanted to become a Scaffolder (id try my best to talk him out of it, tbh), but id do my very very best to make sure he was ready and able to lead his own gang... that all any of us can do mate. :)

I would agree, that's what it's all about. Can get frustrating at times but if the new lad gets the same training as your own son it won't be long before you see results.

i think if am employer trains his people , pays for it , the employee at the least owes him a few years work

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

loyalty

i think if am employer trains his people , pays for it , the employee at the least owes him a few years work

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

loyalty

loyalty im afraid isnt big in the modern world today if it actually ever was , but with the current economic climate you can understand why some lads are happy to stay at a small company paying for example £400-00 a week garanteed 12 month of the year when some of there mates are chasing the dollar getting for example £800-00 to £1200-00 per week but no garantee of work and constantly thinking are we going to get bumped here or what.

if i was an employer id be lookin for some sort of written contract stating that a person owes me at least 2 years service if i was paying for courses , probably not legal though , i dont know

It might not be illegal but definitely impossible to enforce therefore not worth the paper it's written on. It would be nice and if I'm honest I probably get more loyalty shown than most but I have lost a few soon after training which used to annoy me until I realised it's just the nature of the beast and as long as I'm in business I will be training somebody. I will admit if any of the boys wrapped it in now after all the training we have done in the past year I would be annoyed but would never stand in their way.

if i was training people then watchin them leave then i would not do it , there has to be a bit of give and take , i fully understand small companies not paying for training , why should they , they should be looking for guys like wass1985 who's paid his own way by gettin some experience and paying for his part 1 himself , this is the kind of people small scaffolding companies need

haha, I thought about it until about page 6.

In an ideal world you are right JB, it's a balancing act, you have to price to be competitive but you have to make it tough for the boy's to get a better paid job as well, but the points you made on the other thread are quite pertinent as well as we do it all. There is some house bashing but there is a few bridges and steeples on the go which saves you from wearying.

It might not be illegal but definitely impossible to enforce therefore not worth the paper it's written on. It would be nice and if I'm honest I probably get more loyalty shown than most but I have lost a few soon after training which used to annoy me until I realised it's just the nature of the beast and as long as I'm in business I will be training somebody. I will admit if any of the boys wrapped it in now after all the training we have done in the past year I would be annoyed but would never stand in their way.

Its a pity that there are not a lot more like you aom, it seems to be every man for himself nowadays. Old school, a bit of loyalty both ways, move around a couple of firms when work is thin on the ground knowing you are always going to get a call for a start when it picks up. (little black book is out the window nowadays)

We have our up's and down's Ian and I'm sure the boy's have thought about it more than once but to be honest we all work well together but it's easy when you are so small, one of the few benefits of being so.

The down side is like most of this week they have worked pretty much 11 hour shifts, done last Saturday and were prepared to spend a night away from home on one of the Islands only to discover the renderer won't get out the van until it reaches 3 degrees and the job would not be ready till Monday so they turned tail and jumped on the ferry and headed straight to another job.

Sometimes we are busy though.:D

on an earlier post i remember a forum member talking about the pricing of jobs and the wages he pays , stating that he's lowering prices to get work , so also lowering wages , i am trying to imagine how hard it must be to manage a scaffolding business in this day and age. When i look at it from an employers point of view and imagine paying 2 grand for training only for this person to leave soon after , id be wanting to break his legs

I think the time wasted is the worst, they usually have earned their right to whatever training they get and any extra I do is as much for my benefit as theirs. It's like everything in life JB, the grass is always greener, I have often wished to be just an employee again, someone else answering the phone all day but it would probably kill me.

ive often wished i could put up with sitting in an office all day and id quit scaffolding but id end up jumping out a window , i see my job as physical exercise and thats what i tell myself , someone is paying me to exercise , gets me through the day

Yeah, me too. Scaffolding is a game you have to be at all the time, you can't put the spanner down and pick up a pen for a couple of months then go back on the spanners, well at least I can't not without medication anyway. I try and stay out the office as much as possible.

ive not been doin much for a while , but startin work on monday , actually looking forward to it , t and f as well so over the moon.

Brought my son into the game when i was at SGB and told him straight off that there would be no favours given, 5 years down the line i had to sack him for a serious HSE infringement [climbing the scaffold outside a 150ft high block of flats whilst pissed out of his head at 0200 hours in the morning, trying to get into this old birds flat who he had been shagg1ng every day]
He moved to Crossways where he has been for the last 12 years and im glad to say we laugh at his drunken exploits that night, needless to say he has told me he will never work for his dad again. [cant win them all i suppose]

Jb79 i believe that by the time an employer does put you threw your tickets that employee has already made you 10 time this cost after deduction of there wages i know for a fact in a gang of 3 week make the gaffer at leaset £1,000 aday /3 £333.33 each a day thats £1,666 a week i ahve made him he pays me 250 - 320 tops a week by the time he does pay for my part two (if eh dose )i would of made him at least £100,000 been there 2 years now i carnt see why employers go made after havign people for x amount of years putting them threw a course and them buggering off its a ratio of about 6-1 his had more money from me that way than hell ever pay out for me ,GOOD LUCK WITH THE START MONDAY

i yeah aom sounds like a top gaffer .shows respect to his work force and treats them right and whats more important to him is his lads sfatey over the profit. Am sure he dont mind the profit thow lol

gm i **** workign wid my faver ither i would end up over top hand rail or he would

and lads like you paul that keep the game a live

You are right Scaff1989 not only do I not mind the profit but I demand it. It's also not as great as you think and down time can eat into it very quickly. I'm not moaning, just saying it is there for all to take but not all do.

Top Bottom