too dangerous !!!

frank111

Reaction score
i might have to accept defeat lads and head home ,, im seein work thats a bit too hairy for my liking , the boys over here know the lahyer system well enough , buildin towers etc , but their technical work is terrible , , the story goes like this ,, w build towers around the jacket legs for the riggers and welders to put the jackets togeather so the company heerma will say to the foreman we need a working platform here blah , blah blah ,, so the towers get built , fully braced 3 metre ledgers at times to get round the jacket legs etc , but every now and then we need to span out for a weld off the main tower that needs done .Heerma dont want to pay for the scaffold to come from the ground and thats fair enough so we are using alloy beams to extend out to the working area ,,
im seeing these guys spanning out 6 metres with no lacing on the beams , they dont know about knee bracing or plan bracing , the ground is wet sand and the legs are sinking on towers up to 45 50 metres ,, the list is endless , theres lads there with 2 years experience and because they are "yes" men , and the foreman is pushin to get the work done hes gettin them to do the beam work etc knowin that if he asks me im gonna want either plan or the time to do the job right , only a matter of time before some-one is killed and i dont want it to be me !!!

Get the fuk outta there Frankie. Is there no hse guidance/checks?

fred , its at least 20 years behind over here ,, thats just on the site that im working on mate , maybe better elsewhere but from what im seeing and hearing its all the same , didnt go in today , havin a think bout it ! the foreman know ive been doin that type of work for years , but he wont ask cuz it takes time ,, he put me with a few lads , lituanians , nice lads and work hard but they just dont know how to do the work , ,

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

south holland jason , ,

I thought those Dutch boys were upto our standards in Health and Safety??
or atleast, close to it. :eek:h:

all depends on the individual foreman etc , what im seein is bad , really bad , , im havin to argue with the foreman to be able to put a set of beams into a structure , 40 metres high and one beam carryin a standard at the very bottom of the tower , , scary stuff

I dont get the welders workn off this. Cant they see its not right? I presume the foreman aint a scaff!!

spanner , the basics are there , double lanyards , saftey glasses , fully boarded workin platform when buildin , last friday we were buildina tower , it was up bout 15 metres and i noticed one of the legs was on the jacket on a steep incline , the spindle jack was way of plumb so i called over the foreman and said that needs sorted before we go any higher , its slippin down and there was a weld to be done just below it ,, the foreman says its ok ,, i say no its not ,, he say ok i will get it sorted on nightshift and we clock off and go home ,,, monday comes the tower is up 35 metres and we have to finish off and i go up the ladders and its still not sorted , so i just got the beams myself and sorted it ,, its got to the stage where im havin to inspect every feckin scaffold when im gettin onto it to work for my own peace of mind

---------- Post added at 06:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

im havin my doubts fred , , he spends every wakin hour in the place and is committed to his job , but maybe hes bein put under pressure , i dont think anybody with scaffolding knowledge would be allowin the sht that ive seen , ,

Cant see anyone complaining about you makin the job safe Frank. Take care bud.

i was speakin to the safety guy from heerma the other day while we were gettin material lifted up with a crane ,, the basket was 3 ton and the lithuanian lads were up buildin , i said we really need a radio operator , the boys arent qualified to guide the crane driver , and its hard to see from down here ,, heerma guy sy , hey u are really lucky , uv got the best crane driver here on site ,, lol ,, needless to say i wasnt goin up , lol

ie tried spanner , told the lads they needed a radio operator , we start at 7.30 mate and its dark ,, told hem i wasnt happy and pulled the foreman in front of them askin wheres the radio operator , he ignored me so the best i cud do was tell them to guide the basket in high and lower down so there was less chance of the crane liftin the scaffold out of the spiggots etc , i even tried hintin at the heerma guys askin if they would not consider havin there own inspector on site , but they just say they trust the foreman , some of these lads have become my friends , real nice lads , made me feel welcome ,, but what do you suggest i do , , if i speak to my agencey they will sht themselves cuz they will lose the job , go to heerma it will be swept under the carpet ,, think im gonna have to say somethin ,,,

Sounds like a right c*ck,messing with other peoples lives,you need to take pics and become self appointed guardian of your fellow workers or as you say frank,just walk away pal:(

Strange as the cloggies had fall protection devices, double guardrails and safety glasses long before the brits.
And heerema had very good safety standards especially offshore.

And heerema had very good safety standards especially offshore.????????????

Having a laugh ain't you ....?

Frank111 - do me a favour and don't tell anyone it was us who did the designs. Does a 6m long cantilever not work then?

Honestly - no pleasing some people. One minute its all over designed this and that and then the next minute you're all complaining about overloaded legs and bouncy beams.

I only went out the office for a few hours - thought the lads did an alright job on that one.

Top Bottom