ties

marra watson

Reaction score
doing a job and because of this that and the other we cant tie were the design states brick work and cladding etc . the designers then come back and said if we doubble tie it to the steel we can reduce the tie patten. the thing is between ties now will be more than 6meters. is it possible to doubble tie with this distance between ties. ad the clinet is unsure the job as it will leave a lot of brickwork out building round the doubble ties. the jobs 9 lifts netted with fan 2 m bays by 2 m lifts 15 m by 15 meter at the momment due to be externed 15 meter starting monday. i sugested going inside window openings with a raker from the slab with band and plate to indise ledger . has any 1 got any deatial for this kind of tie. as i think it will work well because as the brikies have finished the window fitter come in and the top window opening can be donw as the lifts tie below fomr the window opening below then can be removed unnet it and we can strip so when they get to the next window when the tie is removed again that lift will have the inside ledger tied . cheers lads

Marra if the designer is willing to put his name to it he either knows what he's doing or he's got some big Kahooooners!

Would have thought he might have put some plan braces in or sommat though, oh well that's why I'd never be able to design jobs!

Plan brace from your ties and on the lift above spare back to the tie but like it's just been said of the designer puts his name down on it he's held to account

its got plans in; instead of ledger bracing. animals ya see. what question i was ment to ask was because its tied twice in that distand are them ties worth 12kn now or still just the 6kn. and the problem was the client dosent want to have to patch round were the ties are

Tell him to pay for a fecking huge buttress and if there's no room tell him to pay for a road closure too.

its got plans in; instead of ledger bracing. animals ya see. what question i was ment to ask was because its tied twice in that distand are them ties worth 12kn now or still just the 6kn. and the problem was the client dosent want to have to patch round were the ties are

Tell the client he's a c@nt and that they should have taken it into consideration at the planning stage.

Animals should have ledger bracing in now down to them having no data on each individual weld. Am I right?

Without seeing the design I would guess it would have dropped the load on the individual tie and because the ties are doubled it may reduce the effective length of the tube so make it more rigid.

But hey if I did know I would be a designer and have a shiny new BMW!:laugh::D

Plan brace from your ties and on the lift above spare back to the tie but like it's just been said of the designer puts his name down on it he's held to account

As I understand it, plan brace effectively ties the intermediate standards between your ties.

Weve got a job in solihull. 6 lifts high 30mts long x 18mts wide with netting and weve plan braced every single lift with tie points at every 7mts.
We used a bracket that you drill to the steel and fix with 2 5.5mm tech screws, insert a thread bar to with we fit a super tie which i can only describe as ( looks like a hand gun ). We did a series of pull tests and each one pulled to 18kn without any failing, we couldnt test past that as our tester only pulls to 18kn.

Animals should have ledger bracing in now down to them having no data on each individual weld. Am I right?

i think thats why it has been plan braced ya rember the ties on n26 north marra i was thinking along the lines of that from the slab no drilling in to the steel no welding an nowt lol dont suppose you got any drawing or deatial on a tie like them have ya marra

Without seeing the design I would guess it would have dropped the load on the individual tie and because the ties are doubled it may reduce the effective length of the tube so make it more rigid.

But hey if I did know I would be a designer and have a shiny new BMW!:laugh::D

lol yeah true was jsut wondering weather or not it doubbled the load lol

Animals? Is that ready lock transoms? The ones Lyndon use.

We certainly can't count them as double marra, every guidance ever written is quite clear on that. You can still get a single tie up to your 12kn but only through testing.

Your designer on the other hand can pretty much do what he sees fit as long as he can back it up with calculation in line with tg20 volume 2.

Your animals don't need ledger braced now so I assume the plans will be to compensate for the tie grid used.

Thats correct with the easy fix al. The plan bracing i think is too streanghen the scaffold between the two tie points. If greater than 4mts in any direction, however we tied every lift but that was to design.

That's it den at the end of the day you just follow the drawing and let the pen pushers carry the can. Would have been nice if the reasons were filtered down to the boys erecting it though.

Got the anwser al.
The reason for the plan bracing is due to the ties being so far apart ie 8mts. On a normal scaffold your tie pattern is every 4mts up and across, and you pull test would be 2kn lets say. So with the ties at 8mts you pull test those to 4kn and then introduce plan bracing to take the movement out of scaffold between the ties and also to spread the tie load through those plans braces and thus down the standards.

Top Bottom