The windy scaffold collapse thread.

No idea. Bizarrely Westminster council said they were there at 6am as they were called out about my scaffold which is 40ft away from the collapsed one. It has a curtain on the side of it which they drop over the lorries when they turn up to site, it was blowing about like hell, some neighbour must have been bricking it. The other scaffold came down around the same time when they were there.

let the hse strip it,see if they can practice what they preach.:D

Let the nasc join in as well, while we all stand round and watch...lol

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Must have been untested or poorly tied then eh.
The mono ties would have snapped before the ties gave way. As they are designed to.

Prob put a thousend bunge's init for the sheeting not to rip. As you say bungees should of snapped first.

Why is the assumption the ties failed or were not tested?
I have seen a number of jobs go over with good tested ties and the sheeting intact.
From the limited pictures there would appear to be a large number of sheeting ties which may be why the sheets stayed put. I cannot tell from the pics but I don't see and remains of ties in the wall nor do I see damage to the building. Where were the tie positions?

It is incorrect to assume the responsibility rests with the scaffold contractor there may I be many reasons for this type of issue.
The scaffold contractor is responsible for the testing of the ties but need not be qualified to or in a position to comment upon the structure to which he is tying, this would normally be the province of the customer.

For instance if you tie in the middle of a panel which is fixed only in the corners and test the tie locally whilst the tie may attain the desired tie load as a local application there is nothing to tell the scaffold contractor that the panel will stay in place or will not fracture when loaded globally.

This is where the customer must take responsility for his structure.

I think there will be more information to come before critical opinion is given on the scaffold.

Last edited:
If insurance companies can get out of paying by saying act of god then I hope the first thing out of the scaffs mouths were it was a rogue gust of wind, and fukin stick to that line when the hse come down looking for scapegoats. .....also ask em if they know that training providers are telling blokes they can put these scaffolds up without giving them the pull test certificate !!!!!!

Work delay meant man avoided scaffolding collapse (From East London and West Essex Guardian Series)

A night worker should have been arriving home when 100 yards of scaffolding crashed to the ground in high winds outside his house, he claims.

Abdul Khan, 42, said he finished work later than usual, meaning he arrived home at 7.30am this morning, rather than the normal time of just before 7am – the time of the collapse in Francis Road, Leyton.

“It was just unbelievable,” he said.

“I’d been delayed at work by 30 minutes. I’d just finished a night shift and missed it happening by 30 minutes.

“It’s something you don’t expect to see.

“My wife normally parks right out the front and my first thought was ‘Where’s the car?’

"But she couldn’t fit it in the normal spot and parked it across the road.”

The car suffered minor damage and a plank of wood smashed through the glass in his front door.

Shop fronts in the street are currently being refurbished by council contractors.

No one is reported to have been injured, but around a dozen cars are believed to have been damaged.

Aaron Clapton, a builder working on a site in Albert Road who said he had experience in scaffolding, saw the damage when he came to get breakfast this morning at around 8am.
“I couldn’t believe the whole thing had come down in one go,” he said.

“The plastic surrounding the scaffolding which stops dust and rubbish coming down on to the shops has acted as a big sail and the wind has pulled the scaffolding clear away."

The business that erected the scaffolding on the opposite side of the road, Dragon Scaffolding, declined to comment.

It is not yet known if they are responsible for the collapsed scaffolding.

Zulfyqar Rafiq, owner of Fiza’s Halal Meat, said the scaffolding had been in place for around three weeks.

“We'll only be shut for one day and then hopefully back to business as usual,” he said.

London Ambulance Service have said it was not called to attend any storm-related incidents this morning.

inshalah abdulah

my wee bit of input into this debate is that as the whole fecking world knew for days that St Jude was on the way why didnt the customers get the sheeting removed from the jobs
surely it would be better and safer to take prventative action than leave it as and pray to GOD no one gets hurt;)

inshalah abdulah

my wee bit of input into this debate is that as the whole fecking world knew for days that St Jude was on the way why didnt the customers get the sheeting removed from the jobs
surely it would be better and safer to take prventative action than leave it as and pray to GOD no one gets hurt;)

Isn't naming a storm after a Christian Saint offensive to our Muslim brothers like hot cross buns and the cross of st George ?

inshalah abdulah

Don't know how it works in Scotland but down south the pound still rules. There is no way a customer is going to pay for that.

tell them that when they get the Insurance quotes for the next year never mind the blaim claims from the ordinary punter,but G scaff it would be the same up here FORWARD PLANNING AND THINKING DOESNT REALLY FIT INTO THE BRITISH PHSYCHE;)
St Jude the patron saint of lost causes would have deffinetly offended Abdullah,maybe thats why it swept across huge swaves of Engerlund so as to upset as many as possible in the one hit.It never made it up here or even the NE and Cumbria.There could be something in it :eek:

me the voice of reason Spanner was it sarcasm or a pat on the back
who gives a feck im happy

Last edited:
inshalah abdulah

Through past experience Customers are a fickly lot & they have an annoying im always right attitude in this instance caution was thrown to the winds. Mushkalah

Last edited:
in all storms its the wind that takes hold therfore it seems to be the sheeting of scaffolds that is the rout of the problem and we all know that sheeting is on to keep the job as dry as poss and reduce dust etc but what about having a break point in the sheeting repeted every so many meters ie a window of lighter weight less strong plastic that is strong enough for the job but under such gusts as brought this down would rip away removing the sail effect ???

Top Bottom