The windy scaffold collapse thread.

VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

Reaction score
Please add your collapse photos from today. I'll start first QFS Mayfair
5egyretu.jpg

Nice sheeting lad, shame about the lack of adequate ties.
Predict more collapsing to follow.

"The QFS job was adequately tied but the concrete blocks were pulled out of the wall by the wind force."

Don't think so VL,a tie is only as strong as the structure it is tied into

Looks as if the wind got in around the gable and pushed the scaffold over, not one of the plastic sheets is torn or damaged, so I presume that the "ties" did not hold at all and offered no resistance to the wind force.

Ties can not have been tested

Ties were tested!

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

"The QFS job was adequately tied but the concrete blocks were pulled out of the wall by the wind force."

Don't think so VL,a tie is only as strong as the structure it is tied into

Looks as if the wind got in around the gable and pushed the scaffold over, not one of the plastic sheets is torn or damaged, so I presume that the "ties" did not hold at all and offered no resistance to the wind force.

Incorrect presumption, ties were tested but stone cladding failed in excess of design pull out load

Have a look at the collapse in Liverpool last week"Wavertree Liverpool"This thread(would put pics up but can't remember how!) Sheeting not ripped ,job not tied in correctly,only three lifts,main road came down at 6/30 at night.God knows how no one was hurt.Getting re-erected properly this time(hopefully)

It's just poor workmanship. We never had a single board come off any scaffold during the great hurricane let alone a collapse.
It's a shame there isn't more of the old school lads left to show the youngsters how it should be done. Things that the training schools and CISRS could only dream of teaching.

Just seen the news with a collapse in easr london looked like a forum members sighn board on it...ope hes got decent Pl insurance loads of cars damaged

Ties were tested!

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Incorrect presumption, ties were tested but stone cladding failed in excess of design pull out load

Correct, this is exactly what Westminster Council told me when i was stood next to them.

What news was it on SP?

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

The one in Leyton?

Southern/national news didnt say if leyton just said east london

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Correct, this is exactly what Westminster Council told me when i was stood next to them.

What happens with that now then as i thought the proof testings on the structure are surposed to be tested higher than the desighn rating. So maybe still the fault of the tie tester & type used

Top Bottom