The end of the Scaff Step is nigh....

Would this information lead to the demise of the dreaded step?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Honestly don't give a sh1t, I love the step!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
There are other solutions you can use.:idea:

agree wiv u mt the step haz fuckin ruined the job it makes everything twice az hard and it takes longer as well to run lift in ban it

4ft lifts sounds good

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

its when using 20 yr old kwikstage an youve one end out and the other wont budge , so u whack it , it jumps out , even holding it with the other hand its still swinging about , at least with cuplock you would already have opened the cups open and then just lift it out.

was under the impression that i could be at one end of a 16 ft tube and the m8 the other end , then both jump on the step and put in handrail , if you have to tranny/box yourself in it leads to manouvering tubes about , and creates the possibility of some sort of accident.

I use the step wen I have to its crap but the be safe is ok if ur not on price an doing several lifts crap on site takes its time to set up an put away but those are the only options that give us down here gota be sumit better that they all don't moan about

was under the impression that i could be at one end of a 16 ft tube and the m8 the other end , then both jump on the step and put in handrail , if you have to tranny/box yourself in it leads to manouvering tubes about , and creates the possibility of some sort of accident.[/QUOTE]

That is how we do it Stleger, you are meant to be trannied out but they are only 2 inch wide so not much of an obstacle.

The fall rate has gone down by over 80% since this and the advanced guard rail came into use (figure optained from a genuine source), and this has made the HSE sexually wet and happy.

Not according to NASC sources it hasn't, falls have sky rocketed since the SG4 rules changed and the step was introduced to almost all companies that practise SG4. And that's despite a drop in the work force.

Where did you get that figure? I'll get you the stats I have if you want.

I can't believe we're still here debating this, this piece of kit is now more commonly known as a "deathtrap" to scaffs I work with.

By the way VLLB thats a good diagram and pretty much says what I've been saying since I was first shown how to use them.

-It ISN'T collective FP
-It's working off a ladder where 24% of falls happen
-It STILL requires you to clip on, and in some cases your clip on point will not give you enough space for your harness to deploy properly give you a nasty pendulum effect bash into the scaffold

I could go on....:worried:

Be careful what you wish for, if there is no step its all expensive advanced guardrail,
SG4:05 is ancient history where you could tunnel without the handrail. Its handrail all the way as in Collective Protection

Ian.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

We are also on £124 per hour for the HSE giving out notices.

SG4:05 is ancient history where you could tunnel without the handrail. Its handrail all the way as in Collective Protection

I'm still not convinced it's history Ian, why do brickies have airbags on the inside of buildings? Thats F-Protect not F-Prevent, yet thats ok for them? That's just one example.

Our harnesses provide F-Protect while we install F-Prevent!

My God this does my nut in, it's like politicians are running the industry, it's all about how it looks on paper not how it actually works in reality. I can't believe such thick, idiotic people make important decisions which affect thousands of peoples working practise day to day.

Sorry, I read that as if you were on £124 an hour to hand out notices for the HSE.:eek:

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I'm still not convinced it's history Ian, why do brickies have airbags on the inside of buildings? Thats F-Protect not F-Prevent, yet thats ok for them? That's just one example.

Our harnesses provide F-Protect while we install F-Prevent!

My God this does my nut in, it's like politicians are running the industry, it's all about how it looks on paper not how it actually works in reality. I can't believe such thick, idiotic people make important decisions which affect thousands of peoples working practise day to day.

Sorry Flinty, don't mean to demean the content of your post in anyway whatsoever, but I do like a good fekin rant.:laugh:

Sorry, but I did enjoy it.

I might need your help with something you asked about before going on holiday, I will be in touch but was thinking of leaving it for a week or 3 till you calm down a bit.:amuse:

Correct it's not the best method and I agree, we have 36 months to invent something better.

By the way VLLB thats a good diagram and pretty much says what I've been saying since I was first shown how to use them.
:

Yeah I know it is, it's not mine though. A friend of mine who is an Instructor has passed it to me. He can't put it on here though as i'm sure his employers would be a little miffed.

Sorry, but I did enjoy it.

I might need your help with something you asked about before going on holiday, I will be in touch but was thinking of leaving it for a week or 3 till you calm down a bit.:amuse:

Should've seen me earlier at work.... now that was a rant.... no actually, it was a hissyfit.

Ah ok, I've not had much luck with that while you've been away but if you can help me out I'll keep the fight up :wondering:

Top Bottom