The end of the Scaff Step is nigh....

Would this information lead to the demise of the dreaded step?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Honestly don't give a sh1t, I love the step!

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

Reaction score
I have just had this passed to me by a source that wishes to remain anonymous and he has asked for me to put it on here to gauge opinion.

Reasons why the step should not be used!

Don't know who suggested that sequence but it's totally wrong.

No one puts there transoms on before the handrail

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

As you are clipped to the handrail

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

or inside ledger

Sorry Steveo, not saying we do it right all the time but we do. We fire in the square then rest the paddy on the 2 end trannies, then tranny it out and only once trannied we go on the step to erect the hand rail. Not that it matters much as they don't always sit in a position to do much anyway especially with system.

It may not be the correct sequence but everything else is correct. It should be banned, don't forget the SCCR survey Alistair.
The step has shed a lot of blood and luck more than judgement is the reason for no fatalities (yet).

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

or inside ledger

You are meant to so they work as a stop end while on the step.

More debate, perhaps trannies dropped in to hold HR whilst climbing on to step.

allways fort you clipped to inside ledger but first get you readylock etc in etc li tranny out then lift hand rails in to position this not the right wya to go about it supose its swings and round abouts

It may not be the correct sequence but everything else is correct. It should be banned, don't forget the SCCR survey Alistair.
The step has shed a lot of blood and luck more than judgement is the reason for no fatalities (yet).

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

You are meant to so they work as a stop end while on the step.

Swifty, if I thought for a minute that there was any chance of shedding blood within my wee squad I would be the first to throw the fekin things in the loch. I haven't forgotten the survey and admittedly geography might mean I am a bit behind what's happening in the big bad world but if going up and down a wee step was the most physically demanding part of our day I maybe wouldn't have to visit a chiropractor every week to bang the knots out. The hemps are an issue, I will give you that but it can be done easy enough.

Does anyone use the short lanyard that you clip to the ledger while on the step?

or inside ledger

Was told by an Instructor at Safety and Access that the trannys had to go in first. He practically started crying when I told him the step was sh1t and nobody puts them in first. He actually got very defensive and to be honest he was a wan.ker.

Step wont go... it is here to be used and hated. The fall rate has gone down by over 80% since this and the advanced guard rail came into use (figure optained from a genuine source), and this has made the HSE sexually wet and happy.
Prob be getting a chance of harness in the near future, more like climbing harness for extra connections and confort.

Never actually used step Mesen,refused to use it coupla times on basis that I personally think it's dangerous.
At the risk of starting another war of words wi Jordon the wrappa sling takes some beatin.

We work at height 24/7 the step makes the job more dangerous, slower and harder.
Scaffolders don't need this type of s.hit, have you ever watched a proper steeplejack working to his RAMS?
He doesn't need a step he doesn't seem to need WAH2005 either.

Step wont go... it is here to be used and hated. The fall rate has gone down by over 80% since this and the advanced guard rail came into use (figure optained from a genuine source), and this has made the HSE sexually wet and happy.
Prob be getting a chance of harness in the near future, more like climbing harness for extra connections and confort.

Wheres that info come from longun??

Does anyone use the short lanyard that you clip to the ledger while on the step?

:embarrest:

Actually, had a bit of a discussion with a safety advisor who was interested in our work method. When I explained honestly the why's and wherefores of the thing he left very happy. I have thought about this, I do work to this method and so do those who work with me, it's one of the simplest things we do during the working day.

The NASC PR machine doesn't agree with that statement.

Last edited:
the steps not great but whats the answer , ive just been told the wrappa sling does take some beatin , sounds good

Last edited:
Top Bottom