The difference between temporary and permanent structures?

aom

Reaction score
This has always had me thinking and wondering and after last nights storms I might finally get an answer.

Last night, some poor women was crushed in her car.(condolences) This might be in poor taste given that she is not even buried yet, but if a scaffold had fallen on her, I suspect all involved including the installer would have been dragged in front of the judge. A few years back, a chimney in Edinburgh fell into a cafe below killing a waitress. As far as I am aware, nothing came of that and nobody was prosecuted, despite the apparent lack of mitigating high winds. I know the weather is extreme at the moment, but do you think maybe building owners should be more responsible for permanent structures more akin to our temporary one's?

I think houses/ buildings could have an mot kind of inspection say every 6 months. And perhaps on new builds with stacks have the box strap round them to prevent collapse during high winds.

You have a valid point there aom. Buildings that are neglected over time become dangerous structures. I would imagine its only when they become visably unsound the authorities step in.

spot on, mate, there is no differance, and there is little defense against extreme weather mind you a good start would be to ban monoflex.

scaffolds that have been blown over is usually down to the ties not being sufficient so rightly so someone should be sent to the wolves

As for buildings yes I agree the landlord/owner should have the responsibility of making sure it's all pukka, the thing that drives me mad is the flower pots on balconies or window ledges the amount of times I've seen them come off (and just miss a little girl once) is unbelievable

I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that way, as there was a thread on linkedin not that long ago that always bothered me a bit as I felt it was a bit strong to assume that all jobs came down through negligence. I know what you are saying Bobby about the ties, and you are right, as we have all seen the pictures of plenty on this site. I have always wondered about things like garage forecourts, they have the same problem as we have with sheeting, a big sail and I have seen a few of these sheets flying in the wind over the years and it's always an act of God but if it was one of my boards they would have me on the gallows.

If the job is a bag of knitting, fair enough hang em high but it's my belief that some scaffolds we build in fact most of them are stronger than the structure they are giving access to.

I don't suppose anyone has jobs standing in the storm affected area's?

Last edited:
as soon as you put sheeting on a job you,ve got trouble, a 20x20 sail will move 10 tons of ship through the water, if the wind hits the scaffold at the wrong angle its on the move, debris netting is perfect it breaks up the wind. nasc bring out rules in case something might happen, monoflex on a job and something will happen.

But that comes down to the installation of ties jagster, i've done countless jobs with mono and not one has come down.
Why.....cos it was tied correctly.

I think that's one of the reasons temporary roofs are as scarce as hens teeth up here. Trying to explain all that to clients is a bit of a nightmare though. One wanted to sheet in nacelles from wind turbines on site which was at the top of a mountain in obviously an area known for it's tendency to blow you off your feet. I gave that one a bye.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

But that comes down to the installation of ties jagster, i've done countless jobs with mono and not one has come down.
Why.....cos it was tied correctly.

In all honesty Den, would you bet your life or put your house on it surviving last nights storm?

Are the bungees holding the mono flex onto the scaffold designed to snap at a certain point ????

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Arnt they a mean

But surely that would come down to design al. Extra ties installed, a butress with extra kentledge on it.

Are the bungees holding the mono flex onto the scaffold designed to snap at a certain point ????

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Arnt they a mean

Yes they are, air bags are designed to save your life in the event of an accident but they don't always.

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

But surely that would come down to design al. Extra ties installed, a butress with extra kentledge on it.

Were getting to the crux of the matter now den. That was the point the geezers on linkedin were making and if everyone did their jobs correctly from the designers to the installers there should never be a problem. My point is, if permanent structures can fail during a storm then surely it's only reasonable to assume temporary structures will fail as well. Looking at the pictures on the news, I would hazard a guess and say that some damage must have occured on some jobs somewhere last night.

Not all sheeting is fixed with the bungees either. Roofs are heavy duty slotted in to a rail, not all but a lot. There are plenty others who use the shrink wrap as well.

Monorflex bungee straps and eyelets are designed up to wind speeds of 77mph..

Cant comment on damage to jobs pal.

The shrink wrap is really good stuff I Cudnt imagine that giving way before the job it's self

does shrink wrap have a release point in high winds is what I meant.

Top Bottom