TG20 Sway Brace

You did Allan but can you use the text for the 3rd option?

Hi AOM

I would imagine it would be ok, although the idea of the two bays is to create at self tied tower every 5 or 6 bays so if you tied both standards where you doubled your ledger bracing up you would still be creating a self tied tower.

Would any of the Inspectors go with that on here?

You did Allan but can you use the text for the 3rd option?
what do you mean mate ? 3rd option being continuous brace ? if so then you can do it if you use a class a sleeve or splice the joint . sways are every 6th bay now as well instead of 5 . i think they changed the amount of bays between each one so the top of it is at a tie

1 bay is good if its finished height is less than 8 m . any higher and you need plan brace . if your putting it through 2 lifts the top has to be at the same lift and standards as a tie. see a did learn something

so if you have an odd number of lifts can you cross 1 bay on the top lift?
i.e. 5 lift scaffold, sway across 2bays and 2 lifts for lifts 1-4 the across 1 bay on the 5th lift?

on tradition build i find it easier to go across 1 bay as lift heights genrally change due to floors, dumb brickies etc

so if you have an odd number of lifts can you cross 1 bay on the top lift?
i.e. 5 lift scaffold, sway across 2bays and 2 lifts for lifts 1-4 the across 1 bay on the 5th lift?

on tradition build i find it easier to go across 1 bay as lift heights genrally change due to floors, dumb brickies etc
yeah mate you must be to cos i was also told that you definetly shouldnt be putting sways through 2 bays 1 lift cos the middle swivel is more than 300 from the node point. i have had drawing with them through 2 bays 1 lift though .going through 2bays 2 lifts only really works if the lift height is the same size or close to bay size

As most of them have gone on a 2mtre high lift and 2mtre bays, your 16ft sway goes thru 2 lifts and 2 bays and your middle swivel is within your node point on the handrail:amuse:

yes completely agree fella

we have hadmany drawings with the across 2 bays 1 lift, and found the middle swivle clashes with the handrail.
took nearly 2 years for the to get there engineer to change it. Not sure if this next bit is correct but i thought a sway had to be at 35-50 degrees. I cant remember where i heard/read it

does a 16 reach mate ? iv done one bay for years . i only started going through 2 lifts today , i used to do it years ago and always used 21s but that possibly was massive bays when we could get away with it in the 90s. i was erecting 1.8 m bays today and used the cut 21s with a bit off they still werent much past the 3rd standard.not saying your wrong like just dont think it will reach , is the 16 hitting the floor as well

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

we have hadmany drawings with the across 2 bays 1 lift, and found the middle swivle clashes with the handrail.
took nearly 2 years for the to get there engineer to change it. Not sure if this next bit is correct but i thought a sway had to be at 35-50 degrees. I cant remember where i heard/read it
35 - 55 i think , through 2 bays and 2 lifts is near 45 , but iv seen through 2 bays one lift on short building site lifts that cant even be close to the 35

The ideal angle is 45 degrees.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

yeah mate you must be to cos i was also told that you definetly shouldnt be putting sways through 2 bays 1 lift cos the middle swivel is more than 300 from the node point. i have had drawing with them through 2 bays 1 lift though .going through 2bays 2 lifts only really works if the lift height is the same size or close to bay size

Going thru 1 lift is far to flat, but a few years back when it first started with the 2 bays, we were all saying what the f**k is this all about, it looks sh**e, and cant be any stronger, but were told that is how it has to be, only later on do we find out, that its designed for 2 bays, 2 lifts, but wernt told that if we arnt going above 8 metres, we could have stuck to the old way and the best way in my view, but thats what you get from a Safety officer from Cape at the time a little knowledge, can be dangerous.:cry:

when on palmers we were told do it like this now, this is how we want it done. Basically done it wrong for 2 years till they gave us proper training

Sway Bracing.

From a training school manual,

Ideal Angle 45 degrees.

Continuous tube or dogleg in end bay- Bracing across 2 bays preferred method.

Fixed every 6 bays.

Joints in continuous tubes shall be overlapped (300mm), or a class B sleeve coupler used.

Where scaffolds are greater than 8 metres in height and the facade bracing (sway) covers a single bay only, plan bracing must be fitted to make one braced panel every 12 bays and every 4 lifts.

Happy now getting me to get all technical, on me 5th can of stella and im typing like a secretary.:laugh::laugh:

Sway Bracing.

From a training school manual,

Ideal Angle 45 degrees.

Continuous tube or dogleg in end bay- Bracing across 2 bays preferred method.

Fixed every 6 bays.

Joints in continuous tubes shall be overlapped (300mm), or a class B sleeve coupler used.

Where scaffolds are greater than 8 metres in height and the facade bracing (sway) covers a single bay only, plan bracing must be fitted to make one braced panel every 12 bays and every 4 lifts.

Happy now getting me to get all technical, on me 5th can of stella and im typing like a secretary.:laugh::laugh:
got the same book as me

i thought the node was on the floor.the weight of scaffold going to the floor.

Last edited:
what do you mean mate ? 3rd option being continuous brace ? if so then you can do it if you use a class a sleeve or splice the joint . sways are every 6th bay now as well instead of 5 . i think they changed the amount of bays between each one so the top of it is at a tie

Allan, my third option was just move the ledger brace in so two standards are done side by side then just use single sway's with no plans. Just a thought.

we all go braces every other set but you make a good point aom, it would effectively do the same

Have you any relations in the North Sea?;)

Top Bottom