TG20 Sway Brace

aom

Reaction score
I know there have been a few threads on TG20 but I have asked this question to a couple of different sources and to be honest got a couple of different answers and I thought I would try the forum. If you look at the pretty pictures in the book you only have 2 options, either single bay with plan brace every 4 lifts or double bay between braced frames, but what about if you brought the braced frame in and ledger braced two standards in a row wherever you have a single sway brace? If you go with the text I reckon that still complies as all it says is "between braced frames" but my real problem is proving it, especially using Cads which only give you the two options. I have never liked anything other than single bay brace and find it awkward trying to change now.

I'd keep with single bay and plan brace every 4 lifts, its not much to stick the plan's in mate..

If you had to guess what would you say though, compliant or non compliant?

ermmm.. not sure mate, but its definately right single bay, plan every 4 lifts, and takes around the same time... I'd stick with what you know is right, but maybe the other way would pass..

The plan braces are fine, but it could f.uck a job up, as you'll have to either raise the entire lift height up by about 6 inches or carry on with your normal say: 2m lifts and have people banging their heads all along that same lift.

I haven't read TG:20, as i think if something aint broken, dont fix it.
SG:04 was fine and they went and narked it right up, with this silly TG:20 nonsense.

I'm sure you can use a continuous sway as long as you start a new one every fifth bay.

You can, problem with continous is you may miss the node's on the way... I always go single bay

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

The plan braces are fine, but it could f.uck a job up, as you'll have to either raise the entire lift height up by about 6 inches or carry on with your normal say: 2m lifts and have people banging their heads all along that same lift.

I haven't read TG:20, as i think if something aint broken, dont fix it.
SG:04 was fine and they went and narked it right up, with this silly TG:20 nonsense.

if banging your head on working lifts.ie more than top lift ( were plan brace would be ok.. I'd then go 2 bay brace, doing away with the plans....
its only builders banging their head anyway.. whats the problem :nuts:

continueous tube running from top to bottom can be used but must be joined together with class b sleeves or normal sleeves and spliced

I do prefer the single bay but one piece of advice I always liked was keep it simple stupid and would the scaffs always put the plans in at the right intervals? That wee snippet was to try and encourage me to do it like the book but as with everything else I like to do things my way hence the extra ledger brace option. Would maybe like to hear from some of the designers to see if they would use this method if they were asked.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

continueous tube running from top to bottom can be used but must be joined together with class b sleeves or normal sleeves and spliced

I think that's the worst looking option of the lot and still see one sway brace running from top to bottom on jobs round here.

I see alot of facade bracing(sway) going through 2 bays on each lift, its not right & looks poor, they say its stronger (scaffolders) but its wrong. i always make them correct it if i'm inspecting there jobs.

I take it back Boomer, Carl has the worst example. I have seen that too Carl and I just think a little knowledge is dangerous.

I see alot of facade bracing(sway) going through 2 bays on each lift, its not right & looks poor, they say its stronger (scaffolders) but its wrong. i always make them correct it if i'm inspecting there jobs.

Never seen that mate.. bet that looks rough as...

It does look poor, especially if its no where near the node point.

You cant beat single bay (10ft) Sway Bracing... Looks neater and its easier to put in then longer ones that cover 2 or more bays.

I mean its ONLY there to level your Standards - left to right anyway.

when TG20 was introduced we were mad to put sways across 2 bay every lift, then on a carrillion job there safety man made us change them but gave us 2 options

across 2 bays but over 2 lifts

or just across the 1 bay but plan where needed which is if the scaffold isover 8m high

i go 1 bay unless the site safety wally or drawing states other wise

Should'nt we as scaffolders tell site safety to fu.ck off ?? 2 bays.. 1 bay.. we know what we are doing.. how long has site safety been scaffolding... we'll end up being told how to wipe our arse soon...

go back 10 years and sway bracing was every 100 ft or each elevation my mate used to put them on to make a job look nice.

whats the difference, there 2 different ways that are both correct, if the site safety bloke wants it the other way then i do that, instead of getting stupid comments every 7 days about sways not being to his preference.

i dont change the ones that are already done just do it to there perefrence thereafter.
saves a lot of headache

1 bay is good if its finished height is less than 8 m . any higher and you need plan brace . if your putting it through 2 lifts the top has to be at the same lift and standards as a tie. see a did learn something

Top Bottom