Super Human.

brandy

Reaction score
Been trying to get my head around something for a while now, how is it possible to hemp a 21 safely over a guardrail. Been in this game 40 odd years and never seen it done, during that time I've worked with great scaffs, some big men and strong men and none of them ever attempted it. Ok we done things that would be considerd stupid nowadays, working on 1 board, 2 boards, no guardrail on non working lifts but never anything as stupid as that. This is not about slagging off the scaff step, or AGR, its more a question of, do the powers that be think that there is a new breed of super human scaffs capable of doing that.

Been trying to get my head around something for a while now, how is it possible to hemp a 21 safely over a guardrail. Been in this game 40 odd years and never seen it done, during that time I've worked with great scaffs, some big men and strong men and none of them ever attempted it. Ok we done things that would be considerd stupid nowadays, working on 1 board, 2 boards, no guardrail on non working lifts but never anything as stupid as that. This is not about slagging off the scaff step, or AGR, its more a question of, do the powers that be think that there is a new breed of super human scaffs capable of doing that.

Lost count at waist and chin height and hemping over hand rail but there is a safe way to do it and you don't have to be super human.
1- start with 21 on preferred shoulder
2-get parralel with hemp ( hemp adjacent to right ankle if 21 is on right shoulder )
3- point 21 to the outside of of the scaffold ( based on 2m bays and tha fact you have a stagger on uprights you should have a 4m gap on outside uprights)

4- tip front end down as 21 becomes vertical hand ball up to desired height and slot into joint .

Last edited:
Red Viking with all due respects I know how to hemp a 21 and your guide lines are a good example of how its done, however do you consider that it is safe practise to hemp 21's over guardrails on street work, I have only ever done it without the guardrail at least that way you have more control and its done in 1 single action and just as it touches the joint a slight tilt forward and its in. I take the point that the guardrail protects the scaffolder, but in my view increases the risk to the public.

PS, In my first post when I said safely, I was refering to the danger to others,

Last edited:
bit of a daft question really! if you're competent with a 21' then i dont see the problem, if you're not, use a shorter tube!

i agree with you brandy its a lot harder to hemp with a handrail in the way if the sleeve is near the handrail then you cant just drop the long tube in as you would if the handrail wasn't there , i have done this before and it aint no fun.

Yea agree with you there Brandy,its one hell of a ball ache hemping over a hand rail,especially if the joint is near it.

Hemping a 21ft tube straight over a handrail is not safe. Not only the fact you could lose it the strain on your body whilst doing it is wrong.

Hemping a 16ft over straight over the handrail is not safe!

Do we have to build scaffolds out of 13ft tubes & 8ft tubes. What will the design look like with all those joints. Temporary roofs will use up the nations supply of swivels on splicing!!

Ragscaff

With all due respect can't believe you have never seen someone hemp a long over a handrail,not to appear big headed but I do it on a regular basis.As long as the hemp is below the handrail can't see what the problem is.OK I have been scaffolding over 40 years so I don't have a problem using 21 's for toppers.An old charge-hand used to say if you can't top out with a long you shouldn't be scaffolding!But that was in the good old days when real scaffs could put a long in at head height ,on a pin,in town!!

The correct distance from ledger to hemp is 300mm.

If you have to top over the handrail down to this measurement its not best practice.

I have been scaffolding over 20 years & I can do it but the quality of guys coming into the game today will not.

I used to drink five pints & drive home with my sixth in my hand, never crashed dosn't make it right!!! :eek:

i used to put long hemps on above my head height with no problems at all for years , but putting them on with a handrail is a real pain in the butt , you have to have the tube perfect in line with the sleeve before you can drop it in and it is touching the hand rail so you have to push the hemp out which puts a lot of strain on your highest arm

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

you light weight only 5 pints :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

i used to put long hemps on above my head height with no problems at all for years , but putting them on with a handrail is a real pain in the butt , you have to have the tube perfect in line with the sleeve before you can drop it in and it is touching the hand rail so you have to push the hemp out which puts a lot of strain on your highest arm

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Yeh but I was talkin scrumpy!!

Can someone get me a start with Perfect Scaffolding Ltd please

do they pay digs ....

Yeh I think the office is near radio one next door to babestation!!

Couldnt agre with you more philliosmaximus,bang on the button that mate

Bit Macho there Scaff 1969, Go back and read my original post and you will see how long I've been in the game ( not on the game) I would say during that time I've hemped a lot of 21's, No I've never seen anyone doing it nor would I let any of my lads do it, to me it's an unsafe practise and would'nt want to be responsible for the possible injury or death to an other, not to mention my insurance company would take a dim view of it.

brandy how right you are MACHO am afraid however we have been hemping over guardrails for near a year now,last week a said no more DANGEROUSE that means hurting people other than MYSELF not prepared to do that and not prepared to watch it done.so a just said NO and im more confident with a long than most so that will shut the confident crew up.......a just dont want an accident and wont allow one to happen doing stupidity.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

as for perfect scaffold **** them..........were scaffs and its time we stood together for OUR good you want to be macho go hurt yourself,brandy you have brought up a fair and honest point good shout lad........SENSIBLE.

Top Bottom