Street Experience compaired to Mechanical?

haha, sounds exactly like I do it myself Phil but I do carry the can for the young team not having the experience. I am now in the middle of dumping a load of gear on different jobs and telling them to get on with it. We are a bit quieter now than usual so I can afford to go back and improve should it be necessary but so far so good. They may think they are getting shafted but it's just time they were able to stand on their own feet without input from me.

Your right Jason everyone has a right to their opinion and i dont mince my words mate if someone gets my back up , if i thought you where a knob i wouldnt even reply to your threads ,
i have met lads who told me they have been scaffolding over 20 years , then you find out they have done 7 years in the nick , done something else for a year or 2 but still argue they have 20 years experience and cant tie their shoe laces together ,

I have always found the best young lads are the ones who have an interest in what they are doing and drive you mad asking questions , it shows they are keen to learn the game
and scaffolding is a way of life and not just a job :)

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

haha, sounds exactly like I do it myself Phil but I do carry the can for the young team not having the experience. I am now in the middle of dumping a load of gear on different jobs and telling them to get on with it. We are a bit quieter now than usual so I can afford to go back and improve should it be necessary but so far so good. They may think they are getting shafted but it's just time they were able to stand on their own feet without input from me.

They do need to Aom it improves their confidence in themselves , and how else you supposed to get a round of golf in if your doing all your self :toung:

Companies under NASC do a good job on the streets, theres some good small firms, but a lot of rough *****... refinery, rig work is the place were everything is usually done right... ( worked on all the above )

They do need to Aom it improves their confidence in themselves , and how else you supposed to get a round of golf in if your doing all your self

No point in having a dog and barking yourself all the time.:cool:

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

They did a saddle and you can just see the top of it from my house, you have to see the steel in it, I've done a 60 ft bridge with less beams.:laugh:

But hey, it's solid.:cool:

hahahahaha they was probably say to each other " he is watching us from his house " we better put more gear in it

Street work, best scaffolding for me, double fronted houses, bays, stairs, basements, nice gardens, (not like trampledgarden's one is now lol) obsticles in the way, sheds, conservertory's, and alike. No decent street firm would employ a scaff who could not go and errect around any of these. I do not think £130 a day is crap money! work after 4 and extra in your wage packet. Caught without ppe off the job, days wage lost, wistling, and shouting abuse, warning and £10 fine, no sign board on job, all in the gang fine of £5 each, Wagon not clean, all in gang £10 fine each, and yes if all the jobs are finished by say 1, still a full days pay. I think it beats 8-4 site work, or the repetive errection of a tower block, same thing every day, just my view lads.

Good post dingdong, don't think I could handle all those fines though.

Easy oam, nice and tidy jobs, adhere to the rules = no fines lol

Got to be honest, dirty vans and trucks are the bain of my life but most of the time the boys are right, very little time and during weather like now trying to dodge heavy showers and still getting the job done can just exacerbate the problem. It annoys me but if I were to start fining them I reckon I wouldn't be able to get in to my own yard for fear I would be crossing a picket line. :eek:

street life its the only life for me,street life ahh ah ah.its were the crack is love it when i get a wee taste everynow and again.good squad will make money at anything but new build housing i fecking hate especially the weather we are getting just now up here,but i can and will do it because im a scaff and not a primadonna.
most of my work is industrial and offshore,offshore unLess your on a wee sleepy hollow can be a good old graft but the work is generlly interesting.
I AM OF THE OPINION THAT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHATEVER IS ASKED SCAFFOLDING WISE TO BE A SCAFFPOLDER,BUT THATS NOT ALWAYS THE GUYS FAULT HE MAYBE ONLY WORKED FOR A MOB IN A CERTAIN SECTOR BECAUSE AFTER ALL WORK IS WORK

I am from a street work background and I used to love it,but over the years I've done it all,industrial,chemical off shore,and plenty of time on the street,I think the trick is to try it all,then you can work anywhere,with any one and hold your own,shouting and argueing never got a job up.

Yes. 100% agree.

The best Footballers can use both feet, same as the best Scaffolders have the experience and knowledge in all types of Scaffolding.

I personaly have never worked on the streets did odd days on the knock doing small domestic jobs cash in hand, and loved the crack no PPE and spliffed up, bombing and generally breaking every procedure that I had to adhere to on blue book jobs, I would say that I could cut the mustard with the domestic lads speed wise, but they would be fecked adhereing to procedures & policy's and having to adopt a questioning attitude and also be able to accept peer review's & be openly challenged so its horses for courses what ever suits you..

I even no street lads that come on the blue book jobs but soon jacked cos they couldn't chill out and handle waiting about and dodgeing graft. there were programmed to graft and be busy, unlike the blue book brigade who could graft like fu*k but only for a deal

I would say there is some truth to that PTG, I used to wonder about some I worked off shore with because if they would put half the effort in at doing their job as they did avoiding work they would never have been paid off. I on the other hand actually enjoyed the graft, found it interesting and to be honest about the only thing that would keep a body sane whilst bobbing around the north sea. I did a bit of polishing hand rails but generally hated it.

ptg, i think your not to far off the mark, was programmed to graft & be busy from a very early age, sitting in the cab for 1/2 at lunch does my head in:amuse:

haha, used to work for a guy that got quite angry as he explained to me that he hated sending me any distance away from the yard to work and when I asked him why he told me it did his head in thinking of me sitting on my ass getting driven to a site and him paying for the privilege. :laugh:

haha, used to work for a guy that got quite angry as he explained to me that he hated sending me any distance away from the yard to work and when I asked him why he told me it did his head in thinking of me sitting on my ass getting driven to a site and him paying for the privilege. :laugh:

lol , he always had the option to give you a pot of oil and a wire brush so you could sit on the back and service fittings en route to the job ......... i have seen it done ( late 80`s / early 90`s ) :eek:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

lol , he always had the option to give you a pot of oil and a wire brush so you could sit on the back and service fittings en route to the job ......... i have seen it done ( late 80`s / early 90`s ) :eek:

i know topscaff think i worked for him lol:amuse:

Top Bottom